View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 776 86.61%
were just asking for too much 120 13.39%
Voters: 896. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim
I tried the Trojan for a bit. sticky rudder for some reason. so put it away
have a look and see if the rudder is fouling on anything, such as where the edges are 'sealed' and come to a point. on my corsair the lower edge of the rudder was fouling. quick run down it with a sharp knife and everything is fine.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
Recently, I have been flying my 31" Xtra Slick (3d EPP foamy) out of the backyard and ignoring my UM T-28. Today, I decided to have a go with the UM T-28 in my backyard and it reminded me of what a great little aileron trainer this is. It flies so nice and smooth at around half throttle. This really is a great little plane.
Sep 25, 2011, 11:38 AM
all crash, no burn
Strap a 5043 prop on and it gets even better.

I know hard to believe, but it's true.
Sep 25, 2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper
Good Choice and Good Luck
I've ot some cool vids on my blog eith my T, while you wait for calm air.
Maidened and got 4 flights today!
At the first 2 it was a bit windy, but this little gem can handle some wind!
The wind was coming straight from the afternoon sun, so I had to fly downwind most of the time, a little bumpy, and really hard to get the trim set, otherwise really good, only problem was my 5 year old son, Jimmy, he got upset cuz I wouldīt let him fly...

Then after charging and eating dinner I got 2 more flights, totally still air, wonderful!
My T-28 needed some down-trim and I kept moving the battery further and futher backwards, to get it more lively.
Roll is a bit on the slow side, but the Ailerons works perfect for banking and turning, so without expo, i guess they will do for now.

It flies beautifully, could not be happier with it, I need more batteries preferably with higher mAh ratings, guess the 190īs from Miniaviation will be on order soon.

Regards,

Tommy
Sep 25, 2011, 04:01 PM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
At the first 2 it was a bit windy, but this little gem can handle some wind!

It flies beautifully, could not be happier with it, I need more batteries preferably with higher mAh ratings, guess the 190īs from Miniaviation will be on order soon.
Glad to hear from another satisfied T-28 driver

It does have very good wind penetration, but that 1.3 oz. weight HATES turbulence. I've seen it drop or rise ten feet in a heartbeat, weathervane into a sudden gust or get rolled almost inverted.

Stick to calm wind or steady wind without gusts and you'll be fine.

You haven't tried the Miniaviation.com cells yet? Prepare to get happy...I routinely get 20 minutes or better of mostly half throttle scale type flying without hitting LVC in the T-28.

Like Porsche, there is no substitute.
Sep 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2freighter
Glad to hear from another satisfied T-28 driver

It does have very good wind penetration, but that 1.3 oz. weight HATES turbulence. I've seen it drop or rise ten feet in a heartbeat, weathervane into a sudden gust or get rolled almost inverted.

Stick to calm wind or steady wind without gusts and you'll be fine.

You haven't tried the Miniaviation.com cells yet? Prepare to get happy...I routinely get 20 minutes or better of mostly half throttle scale type flying without hitting LVC in the T-28.

Like Porsche, there is no substitute.
What mAh-rating are you using?
Do they seem to give more power as well as longer duration?

I Really liked the power in the T-28, compared to my "Nine Eagles Xtra-300" (same as the COX Extra 300) it seems more powerful, the Xtra-300 is heavier at ca 90 grams (3 Oz) and is a direct-driven 2-cell plane (brushed motor), so not really ULTRA-Micro, but still small.
The Xtra-300 is good in moderate winds, sadly I left it in Bangkok where I used to live, so no chance on comparing them anytime soon...

A quick note from memory, is that the Xtra has a nasty tip-stall, while the T-28 only stalled slightly, and straight forward when i provoked it, its the better plane, at least in calm conditions.

Regards,

Tommy
Last edited by jimjim06; Sep 25, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Sep 25, 2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Roll is a bit on the slow side, but the Ailerons works perfect for banking and turning, so without expo, i guess they will do for now.

Tommy
If you have a Dx6i, you can liven up the roll a little bit by mixing in some rudder with your ailerons. It doesn't need to be much. Also, the ailerons are much more effective with the throttle opened up. The plane is very flyable at around half throttle, but it won't roll very well if at all.
Sep 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter
If you have a Dx6i, you can liven up the roll a little bit by mixing in some rudder with your ailerons. It doesn't need to be much. Also, the ailerons are much more effective with the throttle opened up. The plane is very flyable at around half throttle, but it won't roll very well if at all.
No Dx6i, just the RTF Tx, Tried to "Mix" some rudder with my aileron inputs (manually) and it does work.

I did use WOT for the rolls and loops and other stuff, rolls are slow (scale..ish?), Loops are fast (hardly scale-like).

I forgot to try "Low rates" is the T-28 flyable on those?

Slow, close-in flying is something I really like, and this one is great at that, love it!

I will keep it as it is for now, the first "Mod" will be new batteries and then another prop, if I feel the need for lightening fast rolls, Iīd rather get an Sukhoi XP BNF and fly it with my "RTF-Tx", that should be fun, no?

Regards,

Tommy
Sep 26, 2011, 05:34 AM
Just ordered a 5-pack of the 190mAh cells for my new UM T-28, canīt wait to get them!

The 2, 130mAh cells I have (Eflite and PZ) gives too short flight duration, mind you I have only charged them 4 times each, so they might get better.

If the miniaviation cells gives better perfomance overall as well, Iīll take that as an "extra" bonus, I really only want longer flying times, for now...

Regards,

Tommy
Sep 26, 2011, 06:33 AM
needs a brushless set up and retracts with little 1gram servos from hobby king and could do with flaps just for more luctery from my perspective but it would had wait but if you use 300mah 1s battery packs with brushless setup it would fly like a dream
Sep 26, 2011, 07:02 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
Another day, another lightpole, another crack...

Turned in a few landings that would make your heart ache, though, they were so perfect.

Dave
Sep 26, 2011, 07:29 AM
all crash, no burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave
Another day, another lightpole, another crack...

Turned in a few landings that would make your heart ache, though, they were so perfect.

Dave
Well guess I'm not the only one being attacked by those moving poles.
Sep 26, 2011, 07:47 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
I have a bit of astigmatism, the corrective lenses pretty much wipe out my depth perception.

What's your excuse ?

Dave
Sep 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Just ordered a 5-pack of the 190mAh cells for my new UM T-28, canīt wait to get them!

The 2, 130mAh cells I have (Eflite and PZ) gives too short flight duration, mind you I have only charged them 4 times each, so they might get better.

If the miniaviation cells gives better perfomance overall as well, Iīll take that as an "extra" bonus, I really only want longer flying times, for now...

Regards,

Tommy

I found they gave increased run times with the stock prop, no perceptible difference in performance. But with a 5043 propellor, I think you will notice more power with the 190s.
Sep 26, 2011, 11:43 AM
Quote:
I forgot to try "Low rates" is the T-28 flyable on those?
Low rates are flyable and even a good idea for someone just getting into 4 channel for the first time. But control authority is limited in this plane to start with (which is part of what makes it a good trainer). So I think most people will end up on full rates pretty fast, if not right away.

Quick Reply