View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 767 86.47%
were just asking for too much 120 13.53%
Voters: 887. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:52 AM
aeronaught is offline
Find More Posts by aeronaught
AAces High
aeronaught's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Chilli View Post
I started getting an occasional loud screeching noise when flying my UM T-28. It lasts a few seconds with loss of power. Is it time to replace the gear box or could it possibly be the motor?
Mine started doing that about a week after I bought it. I checked and lubed the GB but the problem persisted. It tuned out to be the front bearing in the motor. I replaced it and all has been fine since. From what I've read elsewhere these motors can be problematic.


Reset

EDIT: Duhhh I see this has been addressed.. Sorry to step on your toes cardnation..
Last edited by aeronaught; Oct 07, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:00 AM
ATC Chilli is offline
Find More Posts by ATC Chilli
Registered User
ATC Chilli's Avatar
Okay Thanks. I have about 20 flights on mine. My GB looks good. I lubed it and the front motor bearing. If worst comes to worst, I'll replance the motor. Thanks guys!!
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:30 AM
CNY_Dave is offline
Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
My home-terminated Hyp 240 cells are quite nice to run when it's breezy, but it does need much more elevator to fly inverted.

Dave
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:13 PM
DaveG is offline
Find More Posts by DaveG
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar

Now for something completely different... well, at least for me


Funny you'd mention "breezy." I'm thinking about taking my T-28 to fly early in the morning on the beach when I'm in Florida next month. The winds should lighter in the morning but since it's on the beach, I'm still expecting more wind than I usually fly in (less than 5 mph). Any battery recommendations? Other advice? I do love the Hyperion brand.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:22 PM
CNY_Dave is offline
Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
Battery further forwards than usual and keep it out of the sand, at least out of the dry sand, or you'll be cleaning the prop and servo gears all the time.

Dave
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:30 PM
WSEN is offline
Find More Posts by WSEN
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Battery further forwards than usual and keep it out of the sand, at least out of the dry sand, or you'll be cleaning the prop and servo gears all the time.

Dave
Can you land on a beach towel??
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:40 PM
DaveG is offline
Find More Posts by DaveG
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Can you land on a beach towel??
Now that might be a challenge for me. Good points on the sand, not to mention the water.

There are some very lightly traveled roadways to the beach. I may just keep the LG on and stick to landing on the roadways near the beach. I've gotten pretty good on touch-and-goes. I've noticed the T-28 can be fun with a little light wind "surfing," as long as the wind is fairly constant and not too turbulent. Thought I'd try a little beach wind soaring.

Currently using Hyperion 160's. Maybe move the battery a little further forward, as suggested, and add a little ballast, if necessary.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:43 PM
WSEN is offline
Find More Posts by WSEN
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Now that might be a challenge for me. Good points on the sand, not to mention the water.

There are some very lightly traveled roadways to the beach. I may just keep the LG on and stick to landing on the roadways near the beach. I've gotten pretty good on touch-and-goes. I've noticed the T-28 can be fun with a little light wind "surfing," as long as the wind is fairly constant and not too turbulent. Thought I'd try a little beach wind soaring.

Currently using Hyperion 160's. Maybe move the battery a little further forward, as suggested, and add a little ballast, if necessary.
Where in FL are you going? I will be in Daytona Beach in January. Thinking of getting a champ and see if my 92 year old father wants to learn to fly it
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:08 PM
DaveG is offline
Find More Posts by DaveG
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Just down the road from Daytona Beach, in Cocoa Beach. I don't have a Champ but I'll bet it would be hoot for your father.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:31 PM
F18 is offline
F18
Find More Posts by F18
F18
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Funny you'd mention "breezy." I'm thinking about taking my T-28 to fly early in the morning on the beach when I'm in Florida next month. The winds should lighter in the morning but since it's on the beach, I'm still expecting more wind than I usually fly in (less than 5 mph). Any battery recommendations? Other advice? I do love the Hyperion brand.
Unlike the UM Corsair, UM Mosquito and UM P51 the UM T-28 has a very exposed spur gear. The beach sand and grit can really do a number on the small teeth on it if you take a header into the dunes. Bring along a small stiff bristle paint brush to reach behind the prop to clean away any debris in the spur gear and pinion.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:53 AM
JDMJim is offline
Find More Posts by JDMJim
Registered User
JDMJim's Avatar
I sold off my UM Trojan to work on some heli skills. thanks for all the wisdom and knowledge.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:13 AM
Willie T is offline
Find More Posts by Willie T
PA Enthusiast
Willie T's Avatar
Also, canned air (like you use on computers)for keeping the gears clean.....
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:26 AM
slots - Topspin is offline
Find More Posts by slots - Topspin
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Just down the road from Daytona Beach, in Cocoa Beach. I don't have a Champ but I'll bet it would be hoot for your father.
I haven't lived there for a long time but the areas just south of Melbourne beach were never crowded. That would be a great place to fly. Also Spessard Holland beach has a nice flat parking lot to land on.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:53 PM
scriber is offline
Find More Posts by scriber
Registered User
Trying to fly inverted; but every time I do the plane drops nose dives out of the sky. I will usually roll and apply full down elevator and or throttle but the plane usually ends up hitting the ground anyway. Do I need more elevator travel? I haven't opened up the plane yet since I taped up the nose when i first got it. I'm coming from the heli world and can fly inverted without issues.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:56 PM
CNY_Dave is offline
Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriber View Post
Trying to fly inverted; but every time I do the plane drops nose dives out of the sky. I will usually roll and apply full down elevator and or throttle but the plane usually ends up hitting the ground anyway. Do I need more elevator travel? I haven't opened up the plane yet since I taped up the nose when i first got it. I'm coming from the heli world and can fly inverted without issues.
Center-of-gravity is critical, and you will need to move the elevator rod closer to the pivot at the elevator.

Heavy battery or forwards CG makes inverted much harder.

Dave


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion PZ Radian or PZ T-28????? rclab1 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 10 Jun 06, 2010 01:59 AM
Question Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz Electric Warbirds 25 Mar 25, 2010 11:00 PM
Poll Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz 3D Flying 0 Mar 22, 2010 09:20 PM
Sold TRADE PZ Corsair PNP for PZ T-28 HBPD Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 14, 2009 01:18 AM
Wanted Will trade for PZ F4U or T-28... WWIIace Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2009 12:41 PM