New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 767 86.47%
were just asking for too much 120 13.53%
Voters: 887. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by Willie T
PA Enthusiast
Well, it seems that I have joined the ranks of T-28 owners with bad motors. Mine is 4 weeks old and I have to spin the prop to get it going and even with that it only has about 20% power.No flying until a replacement can be ordered. From what I have read here, it should be a pretty straight forward replacement. Out with the old and in with the new!

BTW: The lights look fantastic!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by WSEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Well, it seems that I have joined the ranks of T-28 owners with bad motors. Mine is 4 weeks old and I have to spin the prop to get it going and even with that it only has about 20% power.No flying until a replacement can be ordered. From what I have read here, it should be a pretty straight forward replacement. Out with the old and in with the new!

BTW: The lights look fantastic!
Mine lasted just about 4 weeks also. Replaced it with a solo pro. So far so good. No difference in performance but supposed to last longer.

Can you switch the lights on/off on the T? I put a set on my Champ but they are always on. Does drain the battery.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:01 AM
PA Enthusiast
They are always on but there is very little drain....Where did you get your replacement motor and was it a straight swap? Same battery?
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by WSEN
Quote:
They are always on but there is very little drain....Where did you get your replacement motor and was it a straight swap? Same battery?
Check this thread for info on the motor swap.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1326158

Basically you have to change the little gear on the motor shaft and lengthen the wires. Pretty much same power level/battery drain.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by cardnation
all crash, no burn
Quote:
I've got a brand new T-28 motor/gearbox still in the bag, if your interested let me know.

This is the exact part listed below.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3624
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:15 AM
PA Enthusiast
From what I have read on the reviews, the footprint is too small for the T-28 but fits the P-51.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by cardnation
all crash, no burn
Quote:
From what I have read on the reviews, the footprint is too small for the T-28 but fits the P-51.
I'll have to check the Part# when I get home, mine is identical to the one in my T-28. I can take a picture of it next to my T-28 motor/gearbox if you'd like.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
The proper gearbox is the HBZ4929.

This is the Champ/T-28/Corsair gearbox.

The Mustang uses a different gearbox.

It's possible that HH changed PKZ3624 motor/gearbox to be the Proper T-28/corsair gearbox, but the original PKZ3624's were different from the T-28 gearboxes.

HH has a history of completely changing parts but leaving the part number the same.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
The proper gearbox is the HBZ4929.

This is the Champ/T-28/Corsair gearbox.

The Mustang uses a different gearbox.

It's possible that HH changed PKZ3624 motor/gearbox to be the Proper T-28/corsair gearbox, but the original PKZ3624's were different from the T-28 gearboxes (the mustang mounting flanges are narrower).

HH has a history of completely changing parts but leaving the part number the same.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:55 PM
PA Enthusiast
Got off the phone with HH. Other than the hold time, super nice service. They are sending me a new motor with the gearbox. I will buy again from them.....maybe the Stryker next!
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:04 PM
F18
Find More Posts by F18
F18
Quote:
Willie T and Cardnation.......I have switched a P-51 gearbox into my T-28 with no problems. Yes the footprint/bottom flange is smaller but it is easily mounted and secured with hot glue or silicone. Had the gearbox that I salvaged from my old P-51 and have put another 30 plus flights on it in my old UM T-28.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:16 AM
Find More Posts by Paradude
Well my T28 is fixed, took it back to where I purchased and was not made to look the fool. After binding the light went solid for about 10 seconds then flickered and went out....swapped it for a new plane on the spot, checked it and away we went Try again on the weekend, thanks for the help guys
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by Texair
A bad brick sucks, but your lhs was great swapping it on the spot if it were mine I would have had to send it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Willie T and Cardnation.......I have switched a P-51 gearbox into my T-28 with no problems. Yes the footprint/bottom flange is smaller but it is easily mounted and secured with hot glue or silicone. Had the gearbox that I salvaged from my old P-51 and have put another 30 plus flights on it in my old UM T-28.
I've got sukhoi xp power in mine with the prop, you just have to be creative with the install, finally a use for hot glue in the hobby.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by binaryclock
I hate winter!
Had another great time flying my T-28 in front of the house, even though the wind was kicking up. Gotta love this plane, gotta love it I'll post a video in a bit.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by skarface
Fly low or fly home.
still waiting for the t-28 fuselage cant fly till i get it the HH website says due late october but the backorder date is still 9-20??????????????????
i bought a night vapor for 50$ brand new because i NEEDED something to fly well it was a windy weekend so i fly it inside and i was dumb and tried doing hovers and flips well ended up breaking that up (no more than a 10$ fix tho no spending any money till i get my t-28 the big one) but i hope that fuselage cames soon is anybody else waiting on the fuselage?