Jan 18, 2011, 09:49 AM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos
The 2610V does that too. Although there is no interaction (or maybe I haven't noticed) on the swash travel. Does the swash move accordingly along the whole shaft?
Not quite. After doing the best I could with subtrims on the ail, pit and ele servos I had a differential in the two front servos where the pit servo would stop before the ail at full positive collective. Also, both front servos would stop before the elevator servo at full positive. This was with 100% swasmix all around.

When after the RX setup routine I reduced the swashmix to 40% for all channels to tame the heli it helped a bit and now only a small interaction is left but this way the overall collective range seem a bit limited.

Martin said his RX doesn't behave this way and he can subtrim individual servos as normal.

I'm just trying to get some feedback from others too to see if my RX is an oddball or what?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2011, 12:10 PM
You put me in doubt, so I plugged the battery and played with Subtrim, you'r right, when you give e.g. AIL subtrim, the PIT servo also move, but not as much as the AIL, I can subtrim a big 90° on AIL but the PIT servo only move a few °, this is not enough to worry about that, you just have to put back 2 or 3 clic Subtrim on PIT and all it's level.

The rx2612V of the 4F200 is really worst than that, the subtrim really move both servo......., making it very difficult to level.
Jan 19, 2011, 04:57 AM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
OK, thanks for taking the time to check! I'm glad I was not imagining things. Yes, fortunately the movement is small and can be overcome with opposite subtrim. I just wish it wasn't there at all since we should always try to use as little of it as possible.

So it seems after subtrimming and running through RX setup at 100% swashmix my current limits for swash travel are +-10 collective and +-6 cyclic before interactions start to show. I got this by setting swashmix to 30 for ail end ele and 50 for pitch. I guess it has to do for now. I'll fly the heck out of it and see how it does.

Not having any experience with FBL helis so far, am I correct in assuming that a FBL system heli doesn't need as much swash travel and cyclic for the same agility as a FB system?
Jan 19, 2011, 10:45 AM
For the collective pitch, this is the same with flybar or not.

For cyclic pitch, normally on a flybar head you adjust for around +or- 7° with the flybar level, however when you fly the heli and give cyclic input the flybar tilt, wich add additional cyclic pitch, somewhere in the 12°.

On a flybarless heli you can adjust your cyclic for +12-12 then test the roll and flip rate, if it's too fast or too slow for what you like, you can readjust it.

To adjust your RX2702V, do not put 100% for ''PIT'' value, set it first for +10/-10, then multiplies that value X 2 for AIL, ELEV, once the setting is done, readjust the swash AIL, ELEV only.
Jan 22, 2011, 09:20 PM

Motor and ESC burnt puffed and smoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflyer1
I also would like to know if anyone else is having persistent problems with heat/and or fried electronics. Would be fortunate to have this info prior to blowing out an ESC or motor. Wonder if there is an inherent design flaw that needs to be addressed. For now, I am going to keep the flights real mellow.
I believe wowhobbies mentioned a turbo ace replacement that has a 'cool' system or the like?
I guess I got one of them with the bad motors!!! Looking into replacement motor now, and upgrading servo's.
Jan 22, 2011, 10:28 PM
I haven't tested to see if it was the motor or esc but I am 99% sure it is the esc that fried on mine. I replaced temporarily with an align 35A esc, BL450M motor and same 14T pinion and the head speed was insane. Not really to my liking. Now I have fitted Turnigy 40A Plush ESC, Typhoon 2215 motor and a 12T pinion. The setup is a joy to fly. I have run 6 packs through it and the motor and esc barely get warm. If desired another tooth or 2 on the pinion to increase head speed is unlikely to be any problem at all.
Aside from cheap screws, some soft alloy and the random burnout of esc's/motors I must admit, Walkera have made a damn fine heli for the price.
Jan 22, 2011, 10:40 PM

Belt tension...

I removed the small pulley on the tail section which pushes down on the belt. Belt tension is much better and it is now running much more smoothly for me and no problems or binding after approx 40min of flight time.
Jan 23, 2011, 03:19 AM
Wanting to pull the trigger on this in a BNF version from Wow for only 285 but it's so cold out I couldn't even fly it
Last edited by stretch1100; Jan 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Jan 24, 2011, 06:48 AM
I got my v450d01 a couple of weeks ago. The first flight was awesome...but after that parts started failing and I do not fly 3d. On the second flight...I noticed some problems with the the elevator and had to put it down fast. Turns out two of the swash servos were slipping. I took them apart an no gears were stripped...instead, a couple of the gears no longer made good contact. So I replace the servos and was testing it out this weekend. I was in a hover at about 10 feet when the outside casing of the motor popped off in mid flight. It dropped like a rock, but no damage thanks to 4 inches of fresh snow!
Still... I love this heli... Though it is my first 450 size and I must admit, I'm looking at trex helis in the classifieds now.
I bought the v450 from wow hobbies and I sent gem an email over the weekend asking if they would be willing to replace the motor for free and give me store credit for the servos since there were so many part failures and the heli is brand spanking new.
I know some people hate wow, but they've been good to me and I have nothing bad to say about them. I'll let you all know how they respond to my request.
Jan 25, 2011, 05:44 AM
Equipment Failure Update:
Another positive experience with WOW for me. They are replacing the parts for free... no hassles at all!

Thanks Jon!
Jan 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycheli
Another positive experience with WOW for me. They are replacing the parts for free... no hassles at all!

Thanks Jon!
Thats good, I deal with them all the time. Vronny
Jan 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
Yep...it's excellent customer service as far as I'm concerned.
Jan 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Yep...it's excellent customer service as far as I'm concerned.
Most time I will go there pick my stuff will call. Plus I was at the AMA EXPO when Manny flew the D02 with the 9g motor and brother Jose flew V450 with turbo ace motor it was awesome. Also saw the M120d01 with 9g motor. Got to meet DK
It was good day
Jan 25, 2011, 02:05 PM
Days w/o Incident : Zero
Quote:

Thanks Jon!

Great to hear positives from everyone- they've always been very responsive w any issues I've had as well.
I am shocked over the problems you've had with a brand new V450.
Must say this regarding mine - every screw/nut on the bird was locktited.
On any of my 400 or over, we always locktite everything. Last thing anyone needs is mechanical failure on a flying lawnmower. some people call it a slingblade, i call it a lawnmower. ; )
Worst enemy any helicopter has is vibration.
The 450 helis scare me enough ~ when they are WORKING!
I've had to literally tell myself outloud "BACK UP!" as with smaller classes I bring them on in close.
This V450 has the most wicked rotor sound. Pretty much wakes the neighbors if doing a hover test in the driveway.
Re 450 class as a whole ~ yes very stable and very flyable for an intermediate pilot. The only thing to consider is the very real caution when flying these monsters.
The park where I fly the 1#A is just not suitable for the 450 or G5.
Too many looky-loos that will come right up close (dogs are even braver) and that's not their fault at all. So many regard these as 'toys' and we all know better.
Always love this line - Hey that's neat, where can I buy one? Until now, all the 450+ size models where kit helis.
Now anyone can go on a hobby site and buy an RTF monster.
I think a warning label or the like should be on the big bird descriptions so that beginners stay far away from anything this powerful.
With a 3 axis flybarless head, the bird is very stable, will hover hands off, but can be zipped around at breakneck speeds. One wrong move and a V series can be on you in a fraction of a second.
I don't mean to grandstand, but since our hobby is evolving daily into a much friendlier flight environment, it's probably not a bad idea to remind ourselves to use caution.. : )
Jan 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflyer1

Great to hear positives from everyone- they've always been very responsive w any issues I've had as well.
I am shocked over the problems you've had with a brand new V450.
Must say this regarding mine - every screw/nut on the bird was locktited.
On any of my 400 or over, we always locktite everything. Last thing anyone needs is mechanical failure on a flying lawnmower. some people call it a slingblade, i call it a lawnmower. ; )
Worst enemy any helicopter has is vibration.
The 450 helis scare me enough ~ when they are WORKING!
I've had to literally tell myself outloud "BACK UP!" as with smaller classes I bring them on in close.
This V450 has the most wicked rotor sound. Pretty much wakes the neighbors if doing a hover test in the driveway.
Re 450 class as a whole ~ yes very stable and very flyable for an intermediate pilot. The only thing to consider is the very real caution when flying these monsters.
The park where I fly the 1#A is just not suitable for the 450 or G5.
Too many looky-loos that will come right up close (dogs are even braver) and that's not their fault at all. So many regard these as 'toys' and we all know better.
Always love this line - Hey that's neat, where can I buy one? Until now, all the 450+ size models where kit helis.
Now anyone can go on a hobby site and buy an RTF monster.
I think a warning label or the like should be on the big bird descriptions so that beginners stay far away from anything this powerful.
With a 3 axis flybarless head, the bird is very stable, will hover hands off, but can be zipped around at breakneck speeds. One wrong move and a V series can be on you in a fraction of a second.
I don't mean to grandstand, but since our hobby is evolving daily into a much friendlier flight environment, it's probably not a bad idea to remind ourselves to use caution.. : )
When I was at Wow one day a guy wanted to buy his 15 year old a new heli, He look at the v450, v400, 1#A The 450 was so big I told him to get the 1#A thats what he bought. The v450 was awesome

Quick Reply