Jul 28, 2010, 07:27 AM
Out of Time
Thread OP
Discussion

You Lie!... Part Two (The "250K & Below" Lie)

Oh November 2012, where art thou?

Quote:
Gibbs Misleads Public on Obama’s Broken Tax Pledge
From John Kartch on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:35 PM

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs seems to have forgotten that his boss has already broken his central campaign promise – a “firm pledge” that “no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.”

Responding to a question during his daily press briefing today, Gibbs said, “The President believes raising taxes on the middle class during this economic time would not make a lot of economic sense.”

But President Obama has already broken his “firm pledge” at least eight times:

1. Federal Tobacco Tax Hike: On Feb. 4, 2009, just sixteen days into his presidency, Obama signed into law a 156 percent increase in the federal excise tax on tobacco– a hike of 62 cents per pack. The median income of smokers is just over $36,000.

When the tax took effect on April 1, 2009, White House spokesman Reid Cherlin tried to pull a fast one on Associated Press reporter Calvin Woodward. Cherlin falsely claimed Obama’s tax pledge applied only to “income or payroll taxes”. Cherlin said: "The president's position throughout the campaign was that he would not raise income or payroll taxes on families making less than $250,000, and that's a promise he has kept." Woodward rightly wasn’t buying it (PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama Tax Pledge Up In Smoke).

Tax Increases on families making less than $250,000 didn’t stop with tobacco. Obama’s signature on the healthcare reform bill made possible the following tax increases – none of which exempt families making less than $250,000:

2. The Tax on Indoor Tanning Services took effect July 1, 2010: This provision of Obamacare imposes a new 10 percent excise tax on Americans using indoor tanning salons. The tax was tucked into the bill behind closed doors at the last minute, replacing the previous “Bo-Tax” – a proposed tax on plastic surgery. The 30 million Americans who visit tanning facilities are getting a lesson in the petty, nanny-state nature of Obamacare – every time they walk through the door. Not to mention the business owners and employees who are threatened by the tax.

3. The “Medicine Cabinet Tax” takes effect Jan. 1, 2011: Thanks to Obamacare, Americans will no longer be able to use health savings account (HSA), flexible spending account (FSA), or health reimbursement (HRA) pre-tax dollars to purchase non-prescription, over-the-counter medicines (except insulin).

4. The HSA Withdrawal Tax Hike takes effect Jan. 1, 2011: This provision of Obamacare increases the additional tax on non-medical early withdrawals from an HSA from 10 to 20 percent, disadvantaging them relative to IRAs and other tax-advantaged accounts, which remain at 10 percent.

5. The“Special Needs Kids Tax” takes effect Jan. 1, 2013: This provision of Obamacare imposes a cap on flexible spending accounts (FSAs) of $2500 (Currently, there is no federal government limit). There is one group of FSA owners for whom this new cap will be particularly cruel and onerous: parents of special needs children. There are thousands of families with special needs children in the United States, and many of them use FSAs to pay for special needs education. Tuition rates at one leading school that teaches special needs children in Washington, D.C. (National Child Research Center) can easily exceed $14,000 per year. Under tax rules, FSA dollars can be used to pay for this type of special needs education.

6. The Obamacare Medical Prosthetics and Devices Tax takes effect in January of 2013: This Obamacare tax raises the price of all medical prosthetic devices, such as pacemakers and artificial limbs. Consumers of these devices will end up paying more for these life-saving items.

7. The Medical Itemized Deductions Cap takes effect Jan. 1, 2013: Currently, those facing high medical expenses are allowed a deduction if the total cost if the expenses reduces the filer’s income by 7.5%. This provision of Obamacare imposes a threshold of 10%. This new tax will most adversely affect early retirees and the catastrophically ill.

8. The Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax takes effect Jan. 1, 2014: Anyone not buying “qualifying” health insurance must pay an income surtax according to the higher of the following (page 71 of manager’s amendment updates Reid bill): (See graph at end of linked article.)
http://www.atr.org/gibbs-misleads-pu...ken-tax-a5256#
Jul 28, 2010, 07:39 AM
Eight new taxes in effect or passed and pending after only 18 months in office. Heck of a job Obamie!

My favorite is #8, the tax on Americans who choose not to buy a insurance policy from a private company. The Federal government is telling you how to manage your life and formerly private choices, and if you choose to ignore them, they will tax you, and if you fail to pay the tax the full force of the IRS will fall upon your head.

Here's the chart - see how much you get to pay if you refuse or cannot afford to buy Federal approved health insurance!
Jul 28, 2010, 07:42 AM
Clever quip goes here!
HF, while I rarely disagree with your posts, and do not disagree here, I must ask, what is your point? I mean, hasn't it become obvious that Obama and his administration are incorrigible liars and that their words and promises are meaningless? I submit there is a large body of evidence to suggest exactly that.

Now don't misunderstand me here. Even though stating Hussein and clan are liars is repetitive, I would not want to dissuade you from posting such. We need constant reminders of this so as not to forget how to vote in November and again in 12.
Jul 28, 2010, 08:14 AM
Out of Time
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
HF, while I rarely disagree with your posts, and do not disagree here, I must ask, what is your point? I mean, hasn't it become obvious that Obama and his administration are incorrigible liars and that their words and promises are meaningless? I submit there is a large body of evidence to suggest exactly that.

Now don't misunderstand me here. Even though stating Hussein and clan are liars is repetitive, I would not want to dissuade you from posting such. We need constant reminders of this so as not to forget how to vote in November and again in 12.
As long as there remains a strong denialist cadre of Leftists who defend "their guy" no matter what, then it is up to all the rest of us to continue to keep pounding home the disasterous lie that was perpetrated upon the American people in November of '08.

It is not enough to defeat these people, they must be eradicated as anathema to the American Constitutionally based way of life.
While there are greedy and power hungry people in all facets of politics, what happened in '08 is that we Americans brought those kinds of people to the forefront and handed over to them the keys to our future.

The moment the next Lefty checks in and points out how "evil" Republicans are and how useless our Constitution is, you will immediately understand why people like me and others who have understood the lies way before many others did have to keep the lies up front and visible until these people are just a slimey memory that exist in our memories only enough to remind us of how we almost lost our very souls to their disastrous agenda.

That 'splain it?
Jul 28, 2010, 09:09 AM
Last seen fleeing Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
As long as there remains a strong denialist cadre of Leftists who defend "their guy" no matter what, then it is up to all the rest of us to continue to keep pounding home the disasterous lie that was perpetrated upon the American people in November of '08.

While there are greedy and power hungry people in all facets of politics, what happened in '08 is that we Americans brought those kinds of people to the forefront and handed over to them the keys to our future.

The moment the next Lefty checks in and points out how "evil" Republicans are and how useless our Constitution is, you will immediately understand why people like me and others who have understood the lies way before many others did have to keep the lies up front and visible until these people are just a slimey memory that exist in our memories only enough to remind us of how we almost lost our very souls to their disastrous agenda.

That 'splain it?
'splains it well...but I'm sure the left-leaning holdouts will still display effects of the Kool-Aid...maybe until they have their 2011 taxes done.Will they understand the lies then.?

..maybe..
Jul 28, 2010, 09:20 AM
I suppose we'll have some wingers, (of the far left) come in and tell us that the "ex-community organizer" only meant "income taxes" when he clearly said, "not any kind of tax". Must be getting harder and harder to be a defender of the current occupant of the White House.
Jul 28, 2010, 09:26 AM
Clever quip goes here!
The one great thing about all this lying is that much of it has been digitally saved for posterity. Should make for great campaign commercials, don't ya think?
Jul 28, 2010, 10:11 AM
Not THAT Ira
Quote:
Oh November 2012, where art thou?

For people like us it is going to be a very long two years.

I posted a list of Obama lies awhile ago but it has grown so long now J. Bourke would probably get upset at having to pay for more web hosting if I updated it.
Jul 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Out of Time
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira
For people like us it is going to be a very long two years.

I posted a list of Obama lies awhile ago but it has grown so long now J. Bourke would probably get upset at having to pay for more web hosting if I updated it.
As a business owner and an Obama target himself, I have a gut feeling that he wouldn't mind a few extra cents of web hosting in this case.
Jul 28, 2010, 10:52 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by DLGjunkyard; Aug 02, 2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: I really BLEW the spelling bad
Jul 28, 2010, 11:28 AM
Why do I get this feeling that if not for email forwardings and hyperbole fed weblogs HF and Goat would have virtually nothing to say ???

imgumby
Jul 28, 2010, 11:38 AM
Tu ne cede malis
Quote:
It is not enough to defeat these people, they must be eradicated as anathema to the American Constitutionally based way of life.
That's a bit strong, I'm sure you mean eradicate the ability to inculcate these ideas into governance.
Jul 28, 2010, 11:49 AM
Out of Time
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
That's a bit strong, I'm sure you mean eradicate the ability to inculcate these ideas into governance.
Ok. That'll work, too.
Jul 28, 2010, 11:53 AM
Out of Time
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgumby
Why do I get this feeling that if not for email forwardings and hyperbole fed weblogs HF and Goat would have virtually nothing to say ???

imgumby
Your participation is encouraged.

So are any of these things false?
Are the reports of these new taxes just a figment of your imagination?

Jump in, man.

Or are worthless comments with nothing relevant to the conversation all you have nowadays?
Jul 28, 2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Your participation is encouraged.

So are any of these things false?
Are the reports of these new taxes just a figment of your imagination?

Jump in, man.

Or are worthless comments with nothing relevant to the conversation all you have nowadays?
I put as much effort in my replies as is warranted....most of your 8 lies are insignificant pieces of legislation blown waaaaaaayyy out of proportion by your usual talking heads....

Oh My...a tax on my tanning bed time...

imgumby

imgumby

Quick Reply