Thread Tools
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:08 PM
HeliGriff is offline
Find More Posts by HeliGriff
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Funny that you should ask about that pin.

While I was flying today the pin came out all by itself.
Fortunately the head didn't come flying off, and hit someone.
I never removed the pin before this happened, so it must have just worked itself loose.
When the main shaft is new the pin is a pressfit, but the shaft is just a length of tubing with 3 holes in it. As time goes by there are micro forces applied to the pin hole, and they eventually enlarge the hole. Every time you change the speed of the shaft a small force is applied to shaft at the pin hole.

I replaced the pin with a paper clip. A temporary rig to keep flying until I get a new shaft installed.
If i could find a 1.5mm bolt at the LHS, I'd drill the shaft and use bolts. they don't carry one that small and i haven't searched for any yet.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:27 PM
HeliGriff is offline
Find More Posts by HeliGriff
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt View Post
Just got back from two packs in the yard practicing nose in hovering. its harder than it looks.
here's a tip for ya..

Do your nose-in's 4-8 ft off the ground. Should the heli start to drift away, correct the forward backwards movement first, then the sideways movement. That way, you can always be sure that the heli won't hit you, or stick its tail in the dirt.

Keep Going!
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:32 AM
clearprop88 is offline
Find More Posts by clearprop88
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
If i could find a 1.5mm bolt at the LHS, I'd drill the shaft and use bolts. they don't carry one that small and i haven't searched for any yet.
Actually the paper clip is not a bad fix.
I just straightened it out so that it's a length of wire, and did a quarter wrap around the shaft, and snipped off the ends. The diameter is about the same as the pin, so there is very little play at the shaft/head junction, it's barely noticable, and there's no vibration.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:53 AM
HeliGriff is offline
Find More Posts by HeliGriff
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Actually the paper clip is not a bad fix.
I just straightened it out so that it's a length of wire, and did a quarter wrap around the shaft, and snipped off the ends. The diameter is about the same as the pin, so there is very little play at the shaft/head junction, it's barely noticable, and there's no vibration.
Paper clips and duct tape, right! It works! You now have a locking feature with it bent around the shaft. That's good!

A long time ago, a pin started working loose on mine, but didn't come completely out. Since then, I dab some Locktite-blue into the hole before inserting the pin. I haven't had a problem since. Still, a pin is a pain. A bolt would be easier.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:38 AM
dsobbe is offline
Find More Posts by dsobbe
Registered User
You boys aren't throwing out the pins from your old main gears, are you? Because, they're the same pins as the one in the rotor head.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:40 AM
clearprop88 is offline
Find More Posts by clearprop88
Registered User
Yes all 3 pins used on this heli are the same.
Save your pins.
Locktite blue, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:02 PM
Bravo47 is offline
Find More Posts by Bravo47
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Yes all 3 pins used on this heli are the same.
Save your pins.
Locktite blue, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that.
I thought I read Locktite should not go anywhere near plastics as it makes them britol? Perhaps a drop of CA over the larger hole would be better.

Remember to that those pins have one rounded end, and the main gears have a larger hole on one side. So the pin should always enter with the tapered end first on the larger hole side of the main gear. Push it all the way in so the taper end locks into the small hole side of the gear hub.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:42 PM
HeliGriff is offline
Find More Posts by HeliGriff
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I thought I read Locktite should not go anywhere near plastics as it makes them britol? Perhaps a drop of CA over the larger hole would be better.

Remember to that those pins have one rounded end, and the main gears have a larger hole on one side. So the pin should always enter with the tapered end first on the larger hole side of the main gear. Push it all the way in so the taper end locks into the small hole side of the gear hub.
Taper info is correct! For a long time, i didn't know there was a tapered end.

Locktite should NEVER be used on plastic! I was referring to the pin in the head, where everything is metal. As for the maingear pin, I've never had one come out. If it's a problem, I'd use the paperclip before putting CA in the hole.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:45 AM
nese is offline
Find More Posts by nese
Registered User
nese's Avatar

Simple Helicam Bracket for V200 (and other helis) - V200D01 Fully Loaded


HeliGriff, on a mounting bracket for a helicam here's a simple design that is rock solid. If only the flying could be better

Here's a test flight:

V200D01 HD on-board flycam test outdoors in the wind (1 min 38 sec)


and one in the wee hours of the mornin':

V200D01 with Helicam and Lights in Dark Outdoors With Wind (1 min 35 sec)


Flights are kinda shaky - most likely the ail gyro setting too high.
Last edited by nese; Aug 09, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:05 AM
dsobbe is offline
Find More Posts by dsobbe
Registered User
Nese,

Nice video. The V200's provide an incredibly stable and vibration free platform.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:12 AM
dsobbe is offline
Find More Posts by dsobbe
Registered User
To all,

I found a nice, small, easy to use video editor called Machete Lite. You can Google it. The free version does the basic editing functions very well. It's great for quickly removing those pointless shots of a shoe, finger, or a dogs nose from flight videos. That will also cut way down on the upload time.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:10 AM
HeliGriff is offline
Find More Posts by HeliGriff
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
[QUOTE=nese;18995337]HeliGriff, on a mounting bracket for a helicam here's a simple design that is rock solid. If only the flying could be better

Very cool! I think my problem is the camera. Yours will lay horizontal between the skids, as mine must be verticle and stand upright. I may need to look into a different camera. The mount design is very nice and could be made for any heli.

Thanks!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:43 AM
nese is offline
Find More Posts by nese
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
To all,

I found a nice, small, easy to use video editor called Machete Lite. You can Google it. The free version does the basic editing functions very well. It's great for quickly removing those pointless shots of a shoe, finger, or a dogs nose from flight videos. That will also cut way down on the upload time.
Thanks. I'm gonna have a look at it.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:58 AM
nese is offline
Find More Posts by nese
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Nese,

Nice video. The V200's provide an incredibly stable and vibration free platform.
Thanks. This one's off my main route towards FPV but this mini project was fun in seeing that the V is actually stable and strong (barely) enough for a helicam flying outdoors in about a 1.5m/s wind.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:11 AM
nese is offline
Find More Posts by nese
Registered User
nese's Avatar
[QUOTE=HeliGriff;18996950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
HeliGriff, on a mounting bracket for a helicam here's a simple design that is rock solid. If only the flying could be better

Very cool! I think my problem is the camera. Yours will lay horizontal between the skids, as mine must be verticle and stand upright. I may need to look into a different camera. The mount design is very nice and could be made for any heli.

Thanks!
Thanks in return. The point to note would be the obvious weight issue. This was probably my last helicam video with this camera since I could "feel" the strain on the motor and drivetrain. The gears thankfully survived this experiment including the crash in the short grass during the dry run Next time I'll use a HD keychain cam.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion V200D01 Walkera 200 size FBL FP, yep another newy! Ampdraw Micro Helis 143 Apr 23, 2011 02:42 AM
Mini-Review Walkera UFLY helicopter mini review ehirobo Micro Helis 8 Jan 16, 2011 09:21 PM
Discussion NE Free Spirit or Walkera V200D01 JHawk19 Micro Helis 11 Jul 20, 2010 12:53 AM
Discussion SNEAK PEAK Walkera 7.4v 2S Flybarless 4#6 (V200D01) Z06 Tony Micro Helis 0 Jun 25, 2010 10:34 AM
Discussion Walkera 52#1 Mini Review Swilson50 Micro Helis 0 Apr 05, 2007 01:19 AM