Sep 14, 2020, 08:55 PM
How far back on the wing is the balancing point
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2020, 08:56 AM
Jack
The location varies a little and is affected by the size and location of the battery and other components. But you can often use the battery location as a the thing that determines the final location of the CG.

And if you did not know it, nose heavy is much less dangerous and easier to fly is than tail heavy. This location explains it all:

https://rcplanes.online/cg_calc.htm

And the image is my home made device for setting a CG, just move stuff around until the plane sets level or with the nose slightly lower than the tail and you should be safe for a first flight. If you use the elevator to trim a plane out for a level glide and land and see it has a little up elevator with the control centered, then it means that it was nose heavy and the elevator trim is pressing the tail down and holding the nose up for level flight. So if you move some weight weight or add some weight towards the tail (not the nose as I said originally) the up elevator trim will lessen.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Sep 15, 2020 at 07:41 PM.
Sep 15, 2020, 02:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrook
How far back on the wing is the balancing point
Start at 25% of root chord and then adjust forward/rearward for optimal flight .
Sep 27, 2020, 07:37 PM
Sonex Builder and Flyer

Building a 24"

After building and crashing a couple of Flite Test airplanes I searched for something that would most likely give me some success. I'm building a 24" version of Russ's great design. I'm building it as light as possible. It's built with Wal-Mart's Ross foamboard with the paper removed. Going with a single step kfm2 airfoil. Here are a few photos of my progress. By the way, my first scratch built airplane was a full scale Sonex with an 85HP VW conversion engine.
Sep 27, 2020, 08:02 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave
After building and crashing a couple of Flite Test airplanes I searched for something that would most likely give me some success. I'm building a 24" version of Russ's great design. I'm building it as light as possible. It's built with Wal-Mart's Ross foamboard with the paper removed. Going with a single step kfm2 airfoil. Here are a few photos of my progress. By the way, my first scratch built airplane was a full scale Sonex with an 85HP VW conversion engine.
Let us know if you have success with this build ...... if not , I have some suggestions for you .
Sep 27, 2020, 09:56 PM
Sonex Builder and Flyer
Thanks. I will let you know if this build works for me.
Sep 28, 2020, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by potshot
I had somewhere mentioned to Russ40 that this drawing was scaled to 75%. My bad. It is actually 2/3 original size, which makes the original 6mm foam become 4mm. I had figured on using 3mm Depron for everything except the tail group, for which I might use some 5mm Cellfoam I have laying around. I guess a 3mm tail group would be OK for indoor, which is where I will most likely fly mine.
If your still on here Potshot I am wondering if Dollar tree foam would work well for your 66% plane. I have lots of that and no depron. Lol thanks.
Oct 12, 2020, 01:08 PM
Slow Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by apburner
If your still on here Potshot I am wondering if Dollar tree foam would work well for your 66% plane. I have lots of that and no depron. Lol thanks.
Same question..6mm depron to 4.5mm DT foam may require some reinnforcement. I do not know the impact on wing load.
I wait for that answer.
Last edited by herreraa; Oct 16, 2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply