May 31, 2020, 04:42 AM
Ok, I think I've got it. Weight looks to be the main focus considering "slow fly".
Also in my case center of gravity may not be proper. Will try to move battery forward.

PS any advice on "anti-impact" or foldable propellers? For me this is also an issue.
I keep wasting them on every second try during the landing
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2020, 06:24 AM
Hermanis, nicely built plane. Reduce your throws on your ailerons or go to low rates. Reduce your elevator throw also. You are over controlling and inputting to much stick.
It looks like it wants to bank left. Check for a warp and that the wing is balanced laterally.
Check your glide over the long grass there. Remove your prop and do gentle glides from shoulder height. Make only small adjustments until it glides smoothly.
Then add your prop. I think 8x4 would be better than 8x6.
Try a launch with less power. The plane should fly with almost no input from you. Be very gentle on the controls. Use the rudder and leave the ailerons alone for now.
You can fly in gentle slow circles using just a bit of rudder.
Good luck.
May 31, 2020, 06:29 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermanis
Ok, I think I've got it. Weight looks to be the main focus considering "slow fly".
Also in my case center of gravity may not be proper. Will try to move battery forward.

PS any advice on "anti-impact" or foldable propellers? For me this is also an issue.
Prop savers will do it, just power off just before landing/impact and the prop just folds back instead of breaking. All the details are here:

Prop-Savers-Fitting-Using-Testing-Making-Thera-Band-Bands - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1419378

Jack
May 31, 2020, 09:43 AM
Thanks, I will take a look on those "prop savers"
I was afraid to disable ailerons, because (it felt to me) the rudder had almost no control on the direction.
I agree, the reactions to ailerons were too sharp. I will try it with the rudder and try to align the plane without motor.
May 31, 2020, 11:27 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:

I was afraid to disable ailerons, because (it felt to me) the rudder had almost no control on the direction.
I agree, the reactions to ailerons were too sharp. I will try it with the rudder and try to align the plane without motor.
Yes : for slow flight , low wing loading is the main ingredient ..... minimize weight and maximize wing area .

In addition to slow flight , another desirable characteristic for a trainer is self-leveling stability . Many store-bought trainers use active electronic stabilization ( such as SAFE ) , but you can have passive stabilization with a high wing & dihedral/polyhedral . Your plane has some tip dihedral ( wing ends angled up ) , you could extend those wing ends for more tip dihedral . Or better yet : make a second wing with more dihedral and without the added weight of the ailerons/wiring/servos/pushrods . If you switch to 3 channel ( no ailerons ) , plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel .

Another way to protect props ( and motors ) is to make a pusher like an EzFly . If an Ezfly is crashed nose first , only foam is damaged .... and that is usually easily repaired .

And if you build an EzFly ( or any plane ) with low wing loading , it will fly better/slower .... and be less likely to crash . If a slow , lightweight plane does crash .... it does so with less speed , mass , and momentum ( than a heavier , faster plane ) .

Here is one of the EzFlys I use to teach first time RC airplane flyers :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Jun 01, 2020, 05:28 AM
Jack
balsa or carbon has it all right as far as what is best for getting started in RC flying. for me it was the Blu Baby 33 that got me started on building in foam and getting in the air.

The wing on his EzFly has what is generally called "polyhedral tips" (flat center and some rise near the ends) and that type of wing has proven to be an incredibly good wing as far as stability and getting newbies into the air. Here is my build on it:

** Blu Baby 33" KFm3P Polyhedral Tip Wing Build ** - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1474665

You can fly that wing without ailerons or add them later and fly with ailerons and it is a wing that works very well either way.

Jack
Jun 01, 2020, 01:19 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Hermanis : does your transmitter have throttle on the left or throttle on the right ?
Jun 01, 2020, 07:00 PM
Quote:
I have been flying my TTP over 6 years, with prop savers. [see post #661]

Jack & b/c give great advice, I've been listening to them for a very long time!

If your rudder doesn't have much control and your ailerons have to much... check your 'throws'. My deflections are between 3/8" [10mm] and 1/2" [12mm] for all control surfaces. That's on a plane with a 53" wing span, adjust a bit for your size.

This is a plane I fly regularly to 'warm up' or just relax!

Jerry
Jun 03, 2020, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Hermanis : does your transmitter have throttle on the left or throttle on the right ?
Throttle is on the left.

Ailerons move for about 30 degrees for each direction. I will reduce it or even try to disable them at alll as suggested.

Will have anither try this weekend..
Jun 03, 2020, 07:50 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Throttle is on the left.

Ailerons move for about 30 degrees for each direction. I will reduce it or even try to disable them at alll as suggested.

Will have anither try this weekend..
If you disable the ailerons , plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel .

If possible , do some power-off glide tests over grass .... to get a proper CG and adjust the rudder/elevator trim . If it glides well , it should fly well with power .
Jun 07, 2020, 05:29 AM
No video from today’s flight. Sorry.
It was wonderful. I’ve moved battery forward sligthly and reduced ailerons throws. It flew just nice!!

Had a few experienced flyers nearby and they all told, that 1000kv motor with 2s battery isn’t perfect combination for that plane. Adviced 1400kv or 3s battery after saw the flight.
Jun 07, 2020, 11:06 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
No video from today’s flight. Sorry.
It was wonderful. I’ve moved battery forward sligthly and reduced ailerons throws. It flew just nice!!

Had a few experienced flyers nearby and they all told, that 1000kv motor with 2s battery isn’t perfect combination for that plane. Adviced 1400kv or 3s battery after saw the flight.
Good news !

Show us a flying video when possible !
Jun 07, 2020, 01:14 PM
Congratulations on setting up your plane to fly nice for you.
Every plane has to be “dialled-in” to suit the pilot.
The 3S lipo would be best with 1000kV and 10x6 prop.
Check the bottom 3 lines in the table at this link.
https://flybrushless.com/motor/view/171
It is Flybrushless by Dr. Kiwi and a motor similar to yours.
Smooth landings. Danato
Jun 07, 2020, 01:16 PM
Congratulations on setting up your plane to fly nice for you.
Every plane has to be “dialled-in” to suit the pilot.
The 3S lipo would be best with 1000kV and 10x6 prop.
Check the bottom 3 lines in the table at this link.
https://flybrushless.com/motor/view/171
It is Flybrushless by Dr. Kiwi and a motor similar to yours.
Smooth landings. Danato
Jun 08, 2020, 11:25 PM
Congratulations on your success!!

Jerry

Quick Reply