Sep 09, 2014, 09:44 PM
Still can't seem to get off the ground very high.
I think it may be due to the weight of the hot glue used to repair the fuselage so many times. I think I may just start over.

Anybody have the plans for pusher version?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2014, 06:59 AM
Flying again..... why when I take off does my plane want to go to the righsometimes almost into a dive right?
Sep 15, 2014, 02:02 PM
Build it and it will fly!
Did you balance the plane laterally? Sounds like the wing or maybe the body is heavy on the right side Try to balance and see if the plane drops to the right. If so, try moving ESC, BAT, etc. to the left side. As a last resort add weight to the left side to balance the plane. I still haven't flown my rebuilt TTP, as I still working on the garage, and the weather here in Alberta has been crazy!
Sep 16, 2014, 11:50 AM
thanks just a beginner here. I had never thought of balancing the plane laterally. This makes perfect sense.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:29 PM
Build it and it will fly!
Don't sweat it...we all started as beginners. The learning curve for scratchbuilding is so huge that we forget all that we've learned over the years. Thank the "Plane Gods" of RC Groups for being here to remind us of the little things that are forgotten over the builds and the years
Oct 02, 2014, 12:17 AM

New plane

Hello people

I`m just finishing a second model plane... this is a 70% reduced, KF2, no winglets, sorta sport version? No idea if will works but itīs giving me a good feeling.

Again planing to go up with an extra power motor HB2832, 8x4 propeller(thera blue) and 1300mAh 3s lipo. AUW is 570grams

Hope maiden this one next weekend
Oct 05, 2014, 08:40 PM

Differnt approch

Hello Trainer Plane Builders,

I have taken a bit of a different approach to this design and thought I would share what I have done. I know most of you build light and the original design was centered around a quick inexpensive build, but I like building things and have spent a bit more time and tried to incorporate EPP foam especially in the tail.

This was not so easy as EPP is a lot more flexible than Depron. Have an EPP wing I am also working on but the first version is Depron based. It is a heavier build and I have changed some of the dimensions along with the electrics.

I have used:

The dimensions are:

Wingspan = 1.345mm
Wing Cord = 230mm
Length = 1,240mm

Motor = NTM 2836, 1100Kv
Prop = 11 x 4.7 SF
ESC = 40Amp
Battery: 4S x 3300 35-70C
Servos = Metal gear 9gram.

Don't have the weight as let but as you can imagine with a 3300mAh battery it is a lot more. Should have heaps of power, motor and prop combination should give about 1.4Kg's of thrust at max power.

Wing is a laminated Depron KF3 design with 6mm carbon tube spar and 6 x 1mm carbon on the steps. Also reinforced tape on the leading edge and along spar line.

I will be doing the maiden in the next few weeks now that the weather is better here in Australia.

Keep building those trainers.....................and enjoy, Regards, JosephR
Oct 08, 2014, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Very nice looking build. I like the way you did the wing mount. Good luck on the maiden. Post a video if you can.
Oct 08, 2014, 09:52 AM
What is the fuselage made with?
Do you have any build pictures of the process?
How did you do your wing mount?
Oct 09, 2014, 05:04 AM
Hello gbfan,

The fuselage is basically 2.5mm ply top and bottom, 12mm carbon tube through the middle surrounded by 12mm thick balsa, sorry I did not take pictures as I went, made it up from my past experience building planes, heli's and multi rotors.

In essence if you can picture I drew the shape I wanted the fuselage to look like on a piece of cardboard, laid my carbon tube in the middle then cut strips of balsa the thickness of the tube and arranged them along the outer edge of my shape. I also put some balsa, shaped to fit the tube along each side of the tube so that it would all be held in place when glued together. I then used the cardboard template to cut out two pieces of 2.5mm Ply to make the top and bottom plate. From there, using a flat surface I started to glue the balsa pieces first to the bottom plate as well as the tube, cut our extra channels for leads and cables, then glued the top plate on.

Next step was to sand the outside to shape and finish it with fluro paint so it would be easily seen in the air.

The wing mount took a bit of thinking, I did not want to use rubber bands and in earlier posts asked a number of other builders how the did a front pin and rear screw hold down setup. From there I cust a strip of Aluminium sheet, put a 90 degree bend in it to form the fuselage mount and then started to form the curve shape around the leading edge so it would fit the wing shape, bit fiddly but got there in one go.

Will take a few more close up pictures of the fuselage and mount and post them for you soon.

Hope that helps and encourages you to build......regards, JosephR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbfan41649
What is the fuselage made with?
Do you have any build pictures of the process?
How did you do your wing mount?
Oct 09, 2014, 05:05 AM
Russ,

See what you have inspired....thank you for the design and the kind words.....

Regards, JosephR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40
Very nice looking build. I like the way you did the wing mount. Good luck on the maiden. Post a video if you can.
Oct 09, 2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks would love to see more pictures.
How did you fasten down the trailing edge of the wing? Velcro?

That is an awesome looking plane!!!!
Oct 09, 2014, 04:33 PM
gbfan,

Thank you for the comments, the trailing edge has two nylon wing bolts holding it down.

In essence the centre part of the wing, over the fuselage is sheeted with 1/6" ply which gives the screws which go through the wing something to hold down.

On the bottom of the fuselage where the bolts come through are two captive nuts, the ones with teeth on them. The teeth bit into the ply bottom plate and stay there.

Will take some close up pick of that as well.

Regards.....JosephR

Quote:

Oct 09, 2014, 09:07 PM
Pictures would be awesome
Can you also take pictures of the underside of plane.
Give as much detail on the build as you can give us.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr
gbfan,

Thank you for the comments, the trailing edge has two nylon wing bolts holding it down.

In essence the centre part of the wing, over the fuselage is sheeted with 1/6" ply which gives the screws which go through the wing something to hold down.

On the bottom of the fuselage where the bolts come through are two captive nuts, the ones with teeth on them. The teeth bit into the ply bottom plate and stay there.

Will take some close up pick of that as well.

Regards.....JosephR
Oct 09, 2014, 09:07 PM
Hello gbfan,

Here are some more pictures to see what I have done.

Hope they show you enough detail.

You will see the wing mount in a bit more detail, the screws that hold the aluminium front wing clamp also hold on the undercarriage. I have also shown you my pushrod support.

You can also see the channels in the fuselage where the servo wires run.

You can also see the shape of the fuselage better.

Regards,...............JosephR.

Quote:

Quick Reply