Jul 16, 2014, 01:48 PM
Build it and it will fly!
Looking Good!
Good luck with the balsa stick. I used a 8mm wooden dowel and it just didn't hold up! Do you have golf clubs there? That's what I'm using now! I went to the city dump and brought 2 used golf clubs for 3 bucks each. I cut the heads off with a hacksaw and unwrapped the handles which left me with 38 inches of usable Carbon Fiber! At the local hobby stores a 1 meter CF rod will cost you about 12-14 bucks ; save where and how you can !
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2014, 02:03 PM
Hey Ken

Yeap there are some GC around the city...I will try later and see if those guys have something for me. But really like to speed up the building and try to maiden the next weekend. I also have some reinforcement ideas on my head for the balsa, such as wrapping with some packing tape... let's see what happens
Jul 17, 2014, 01:38 PM
Roy,

you might be better off wrapping that balsa in some .75 oz. fiberglass! Anyway, I hope to maiden my rebuilt TTP this evening provided that the predicted thunderstorms don't appear. She ready to fly, but I'm going to add 2 degrees of down thrust so that she'll keep level at 1/2 THR! As I said once you build this plane and fly her, you'll be hooked! Good luck with your build and your upcoming maiden flight!
Jul 17, 2014, 03:12 PM
Thank you Ken, yes the FG is a good idea but for the future in my learning list... I've never did anything with FG so for sure is something I must try sooner or later while build stuff in this hobby. I need find providers locally who sell the materials and see some tutorials of how to work with that properly.

Servos were mounted last nite and hopelly today will attacht the pushrods and test surface movement,

Cheers

Roy
Jul 22, 2014, 06:32 AM
I need some help.
I finally got a few successful flights...... I am hooked., this hobby is so addicting.

Here is where I need help. I used a golf club shaft instead of the arrow.
I placed a wooden dowel in the shaft for the motor mount. I then used a thin piece of plywood and flat head screw and glue, to fasten it to the dowel rod and bolting the metal motor mount on to the ply wood. Work good until I crashed last night breaking prop, and pulling plywood motor mount from the dowel. The flat head screw did not pull out of dowel, but pulled thru the plywood. I thought that I would put a washer on the screw and remount. But the washer will not allow the screw to seat deep enough and hit the motor shaft.
Can some help and post some close up pictures.
Thanks
Jul 22, 2014, 07:04 AM
Crash Test Dummy
What I use:

I cut a circle in 1/2" or 3/4" ply with a hole saw, big enough to screw the motor mount to.
Through that I drill a hole big enough for the carbon shaft (at a slight angle, to give me some offset for the motor), then insert the carbon shaft into the ply and epoxy it to fix.

Easy to do and works great.
Jul 22, 2014, 07:18 AM
Can you post pictures? I think I understand, but would love to see a few pictures.
not sure what you mean by offset though.
Jul 22, 2014, 07:29 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Circle with a hole through it... offset is to drill the hole at a slight angle (2-3 degrees) and rotate the mount so that it's pointing a little down - so the motor isn't pulling along the axis of the fuselage (CF stick). This helps with keeping powered flight from continually pointing higher and higher and you having to 'hunt' with the throttle and axis controls to keep level flight.

I put a couple of matchsticks under the edge of the ply before I drill it - depending on the size of the piece of ply I am cutting off, depends on where I place them to get that 2-3deg offset.

I always drill the centre hole first, then cut it out with the hole saw - much easier that way.

I'm just rough as guts, but if you want to approach it in a more measured way: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post17864923

By drilling in the offset, by rotating the ply, you can get down and right offset - bonus!
Last edited by immike; Jul 22, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Jul 22, 2014, 07:40 AM
That helps
Thanks I can try that this evening.
So the motor should point a little down? This could be why I am fight the nose going up when I throttle up?
seems like plane want to go to the left always too.
Jul 22, 2014, 07:44 AM
Crash Test Dummy
That's exactly why you fight the nose. You got it.

It doesn't need to be much, as I said - 2-3 degrees. It pays to mark the 'top' (the point with the widest angle) with a marker pen, so you know how much to turn it to get it pointing the right way - it's such a shallow angle, old eyes like mine find it hard to do when it's all getting to assembly stage.
Jul 22, 2014, 07:50 AM
Crash Test Dummy
PS - you might find it better to use hot glue to affix the ply, that way you can adjust it if the angle isn't right.

I'm mad with the hot glue, me

My tube fuselage planes are held together with rubber bands and hot glue - that way I can re-use the tube if I want.
Jul 22, 2014, 08:03 AM
It seems the shaft on the motor sticks slightly past the metal motor mount? I will need to check that also.
Jul 22, 2014, 01:30 PM
Immike is right!
I used two metal small washers about 1.5mm thick behind the motor mount at the top to level mine! And the new shaft of my is also a golf club shaft! Haven't had the chance to fly her yet, as the weather has been awful As soon as I can get a few flights in I'll let you know how it goes! This is really a sweet flying bird!
Jul 22, 2014, 05:09 PM
Can you post pictures?
Jul 23, 2014, 05:17 PM
Dude you're in luck, my wife just return from vacation with the cam so I'll try to get some pics up tonight! The weather here is still ; way too much wind even for the TTP!

Quick Reply