Sep 02, 2010, 08:31 PM
Great video. Hope mine will fly that well. What size wire did you use for the landing gear? Mine always seems so flimsy and bends even with 0.055 piano wire. Also, what motor and battery are you using? Thanks
Last edited by gkowen; Sep 02, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2010, 02:48 AM
Do you think a bamboo rod would substitute for the CF arrow?
Sep 03, 2010, 02:56 AM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40
EZ...That is kinda what I did but I started with the pod first.

gkowen... I would put a rudder on it if you want any ground handling. It flies great without a rudder but I like taxing and touch and goes.

Wrench... I just cut a "V" in the foam so the arrow is below the surface of the foam. That gives the wing a wider area to rest on.
Russ
Thanks Russ.....
Sep 03, 2010, 05:47 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Here's my take on Russ's Trainer. Not the best pics, but you get the idea. Kinda rough-and-ready looking I know,, but it flies good!Hope you can tell how I made the pod section, also, the motor mount is the 2-liter coke bottle idea I picked up from another thread. Makes it easy to swap motor to different planes.
Sep 03, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks Russ for a great lunchtime. It was a sunny 78, light breeze, and an 8 minute flight. This is a great plane. The only problem I had is I used a shiny coated arrow and the hot glue is pulling away from it. A rebuild over the weekend will solve that. Now to build another one.
Sep 03, 2010, 03:19 PM
I couldn't figure out why I was having so much fun with this airplane. Like I said before it is somewhat porky. However, I'm pulling 17 amps at over 180 watts. Wahoo. Need to reprop though to get below 15 amps.

Charlie
Sep 03, 2010, 04:07 PM
EZ...That looks good. I was wondering about that motor mount idea. I may have to try it out.

doughpat...I don't think the bamboo would be stiff enough unless it is fairly thick. Then you get into a weight issue.

gkowen...Glad you like it. I thought about taking mine to work also. It would be a nice relaxing lunch flight.

Charlie...180 watts would make it kinda sporty. That sounds cool.
Sep 03, 2010, 04:56 PM
Russ,

Yours should be doing a little better. I'm a little heavier than you. We're both using the same prop and motor.

Charlie
Sep 03, 2010, 05:00 PM
Charlie... I guess I need to get an amp meter some day. I didn't think it was running that high.
Sep 03, 2010, 05:01 PM
Be careful. That motor is only rated for 16 Amps for 1 minute. But is it ever fun for that one minute.

Charlie
Sep 04, 2010, 08:01 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkowen
Thanks Russ for a great lunchtime. It was a sunny 78, light breeze, and an 8 minute flight. This is a great plane. The only problem I had is I used a shiny coated arrow and the hot glue is pulling away from it. A rebuild over the weekend will solve that. Now to build another one.
gkowen,

I've found that, over time with many temperature changes, hot melt glue can release it's bond... maybe having something to do with different rates of expansion & contraction with wider changes in temperature. So I'm fond of 5 minute epoxy for everything that attaches directly to the CF tube. I'm flying aircraft which I built many years ago using 5 min epoxy for certain parts of the build process. In other places I use a lot of hot melt glue, too.

VIKING
Sep 04, 2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info Viking. Next time I rebuild it I will use the epoxy. I sure like the way this thing flies.
Sep 09, 2010, 04:49 PM
I had to dress mine up some. It flies so good I thought it should look good. We are having a demo saturday so that did have something to do with it also.

Russ
Sep 09, 2010, 05:31 PM
Looks good Russ. I built 2. One for the uglies and flying and one for the prettiest. I just need to fly them more.
Sep 09, 2010, 06:46 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Nice Russ! Good job. I can't tell, is that paint or tape?

Quick Reply