Trainer type plane - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 28, 2010, 05:30 PM
Flying my Trainer type plane (RC Groups) (0 min 48 sec)

Images of my first fly with some success...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2010, 02:03 PM
rcaridade...It is good to see another flying. Thanks for the vid. How do you like it? Looks like it flies good.

Aug 31, 2010, 07:39 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Just spent 20 min. flying a pack at the local park before dark. The more I fly this plane the better I like it.Just gotta get some more batteries ordered so I can fly longer. No Dumb Thumbs this time! Landed right where I wanted to, and the glide ratio is really nice.Gonna go with 3s on my next battery order, so's I can do some of dem loop-de-loops like Mr. Russ. No such thing as too much power. If I can find my wife's digital camera, I'll post some pics. No video capability as yet.This is the most relaxing, easy-to-fly plane I've built yet!
Aug 31, 2010, 08:20 PM

I'm with you on this one.

I had to hand launch on the maiden this evening. Although I'm 3 oz heavier than Russ, the plane flew hands off. I even used one of the Hobby King $15 receivers with no problems. What a blast and your right about the glide. after about 7 minutes I landed to give my buddy a chance to fly his plane. After he landed I decided to try a take off on the flexible landing gear. After about 6 feet I was airborne and what a ball. I was having so much fun flying inverted low to the ground that I ran out the battery with not enough altitude or air speed to roll upright. Landed in the corn inverted. No damage. Even had enough battery to glide down the side of the hill we were on.

Russ, you hit a home run with this one.

I need to order some more 1250 packs myself.

Time to recharge for tomorrow.

Sep 01, 2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys. I am glad you are having fun with this plane. I was flying mine the other day and I got into a thermal and glided aroung power off for 4 minutes. If I was any good at thermalling it might have stayed up longer.

Charlie.. I like the low and inverted flying also. Can't say I ran a battery out that way though.

Sep 01, 2010, 05:06 PM

My attempt

I am going to attempt this as my first aileron trainer. I plan to do away with the rudder. Should anything change to do this? Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with us newbies.
Sep 01, 2010, 10:32 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Why not go ahead and build in the rudder, but leave the servo unplugged? That way once you get comfortable with flying, the only mod you have to do is plug it in.
Sep 01, 2010, 11:35 PM
I am making the smaller version. I might still add the rudder. Any secrets to align the tailfeathers and wing? Are they both just square to the arrow and in a line?
Sep 02, 2010, 02:04 AM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
Can anyone enlighten me on how the pod under the wing is mounted to the carbon shaft? I can't see how ya did it, wondering what keeps the wing aligned level with the tail.....thanks!
Sep 02, 2010, 04:37 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
I mounted and glued the horiz. stab first by laying it flat on the table, aligning the shaft on top of that, and glueing it. Then aligned the pod to that. I didn't have any thick foam like Russ used for the pod, so I sandwiched some open-cell foam (the kind that comes w/ new computers) with 2 pieces of Dollartree foamboard cut to shape. Then just cut a slot straight down the top to mount it to the shaft. Once you've got those straight, you're set! Good luck with your build.
Sep 02, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have tons of open cell foam and some scrap foam board. Great idea. Thanks for sharing it
Sep 02, 2010, 10:15 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
I'll try to take some pics tonite and post them
Sep 02, 2010, 02:23 PM
EZ...That is kinda what I did but I started with the pod first.

gkowen... I would put a rudder on it if you want any ground handling. It flies great without a rudder but I like taxing and touch and goes.

Wrench... I just cut a "V" in the foam so the arrow is below the surface of the foam. That gives the wing a wider area to rest on.

Sep 02, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Russ. What kind of control throws do I need for rudder (1 inch each way?), elevator (3/4inch each way?), and ailerons (1/2 inch each way?) This is shaping up to be a great training plane for me.
Sep 02, 2010, 07:48 PM
gkowen...I would do 1/2" on elevator and 3/4" on ailerons. With the wingspan this has it isn't real responsive on the roll but the pitch can be a bit sensitive.

I put a bomb drop on mine today and dropped a nerf football. Here is the video.
Trainer bomb drop (3 min 18 sec)

Quick Reply