Feb 24, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hey Russ, video coming soon. I take back my first impressions.... when the wind died down in part of my flight, it actually slows down more than I thought it would.... my machine and Vimeo is slow so I hope to have something posted up tonight. I am actually quite pleased with the result so far. I think it could do a little better with a slightly bigger wing, and a little lighter but well, you'll see, it did good.

Pat
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2011, 08:34 PM

24" mostly maiden

A note about the video, the part I chose to post is the slow speed part. I had a little breeze so the right to left plane travel is downwind so a little faster. And I could back it off to between 1/4 and 3/8th trl on the really slow passes. Full throttle really wasn't practical because its a bit overpowered, and I need to change the hole selection on servo arm to really slow down the elevator. With a ultra sensitive elevator, and wind, full throttle was no fun at all.

I had well over 10 minute flights on 800mAh 2s no brand batteries. The faster stuff is higher and with more wind so it danced around quite a bit, and of course being farther away, it was difficult to make out the plane without luxury of zoom on the cam.

I'm not sure it can be slow enough for a basketball court sized gym, but if the gym is big enough for 2 courts, then for sure I now own a plane that will do it.

Thanks Russ, and thanks for the pdf reduction.

Enjoy, and share thoughts.

Pat

(2 min 19 sec)
Feb 25, 2011, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Pat... Looks like it flew good. I made a smaller version of another plane kinda like this and it wasn't as floaty until I added more cord to the wing. It slowed it down and made it more like it's big bro.
Feb 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
thanks russ... but which would work better to slow it down adding chord or span.... if add more chord i gotta start over because i will loose practicle wing tie down points(body too small). my plan was to try 28 total x 5 chord with a little higher % tip up. What do you think?

P.
Feb 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
I would try the easy option first. It should work also. Looking foward to your results.
Feb 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
Just a quick report on the upgrade. I did indeed make a larger wing. 29" span total. 5" chord, with 4.5" tip ups on each side. It was windy, probly 8 to 10 mph which is alot for a 8 oz plane. Oh by the way, I added 28 sq. inches of wing area for the cost of 11.7 grams. It is the prescribed kfm3 and I omitted a cf tube spar because I didnt feel like going to buy another one, and instead I put in a bamboo food skewer split in half and glued in on the front edge of the filler strip/2nd step. It is not quite as stiff as the original so I added 2 pieces of packing tape on bottom to prevent some flex up.

It seems to fly slower than the original 26x4.5 hard to fly at stall safely when the wind is whipping it up and down and rockin and rolling it. Very graceful, and even I could do some pretty cool stuff, and I don't really know what I am doing....This is going to be a fun plane to learn tricks on, and fly indoors when I get a chance.

Thanks again russ.

Sorry for the flat sky and the hard to see plane... one day the sun will shine again here, and I will get some better video.!

(1 min 33 sec)

Pat.
Feb 28, 2011, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Congrats Pat.. That flies very good even in the wind. I am glad the longer wing worked. I see you have landing gear on it now. You will really enjoy touch and goes with it as soon as the snow goes away.
Mar 06, 2011, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
I did a bit of flying in a hangar at work today. It isn't a very big hangar but it was still fun.
Trainer type plane indoors (2 min 14 sec)
Mar 06, 2011, 09:04 PM
Ok russ, point taken. I will be building a 50" next.... seeing that, I'm not sure why I thought 24 would be better. I like it, its fun with calm winds, but I want to try a full size one anyway.

I have a light aluminum arrow that is 27.5" I wonder if I can get the gorilla glue to stick to it??

Nice flyin.

Pat
Mar 06, 2011, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Pat.
Here is a video of my friend Jeff's 18" TTP. He was flying it is about 8mph winds. It handled the wind ok.
Mini TTP (1 min 55 sec)
Mar 06, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for posting that... my wing ended up 5x29... but I think the flat part should have been shorter and the tip-ups longer. Jeffs main flat part to tip up part seems closer to equal 1/3rds. And that might be the reason it seems more stable with respect to wing rock affected by breezes.

After I build a 50 or probly 48" for my friend to suck him into the hobby also, I will play with changing the tip up ratio on another mini wing. It only takes a couple hours of t.v. distracted time to do another wing.

Happy flying.
Mar 07, 2011, 12:28 AM
The sun finally came out. It was windy, but I couldn't resist.

Tight landing approach, and it was much nicer up high because the school building affects the wind and causes turbulence.

(2 min 53 sec)
Mar 07, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Nice flying Pat. That low level turblance is a killer and you handled it great. I get something like that off the trees in the parking lot where I sometimes fly. It makes for a tricky landing.

I am going to build a 22" mini soon. Jeff gave me some 3mil and 2mil depron so I could try a smaller one.
Mar 07, 2011, 07:06 PM
Pat, the one I made with the 18" span has a 9 1/2" center and 4 1/4" tips. I've flown this with a little wind around my house and the turbulance make it unfun to fly. The wind when the video was taken was pretty smooth. It may just be me but it seems like trimming the the trailing edge of the wingtips helps it handle the wind alittle better. I did it on my big one just for cosmetic reasons but when I flew it, it seemed like it wasn't get tossed around as bad. By the way, nice flying.
Jeff
Mar 07, 2011, 08:30 PM
thanks jeff, I definately noticed the taper on yours too...but I also noticed that even though the length of the tip ups is a bigger %, they don't rise up above main flat wing as high as original plans it seems. It would be good to have a side by side comparison. How did you arrive at those numbers... I mean did you try different ratios (flat to tip-up length) on different wings, and just keep increasing tipped area??

I might have sounded like I was complaining. I really like mine, even today in an 8-10 wind.(for sure better today because no buildings... makes a big difference.) I had a 25 year flyer try it out and he had a blast with it. (he did comment that I have the rudder and elevator too hot still) So I say big success. Can't wait to try it indoors. and make a 48".

Actually if I did it again, I would find an in-between motor, something less than 26 grams and maybe 10oz thrust. I went too big on motor. I think I will play with a 5" prop see how it goes.

Thanks about the flying but I really just started. Totally inspired by russ with his rolling circles, that is my goal, by the end of this summer to be able to do those. My hope is that I can work on doing clean aerobatics on this "trainer" and transfer some of that to bigger faster airplanes.!

Russ, I know this is asking alot, and maybe your not a paid instructor, but do you think it would be possible to video what your fingers do on those rolling circles?? I have read your description and realize its a timing thing, but seeing what your fingers do would probly help a lot.!

Pat

Quick Reply