to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Here is a few pix of another custom blunt nose.
hay guys. I am TC! and I do believe this one was cut out for me. I am in the process of building it and will post up pics and vids when I am able to get to a camera...

Once again THANKS FOR THE WING!!!
Aug 09, 2010, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Here is a few pix of another custom blunt nose.
What's with all the spars? Makes mine look weak...

I've cut out the bays using a soldering gun and a piece of metal hanger. It works great! The spars have also been glued in. I cut slots with a dremmel and router attachment. The router bit was the perfect size for the small glass rods. Glued in with white gorilla glue.

Next step is to test fit all the components and fit the hatches. I still haven't gotten any servos, so that's holding me up a bit.

By the way, heres a link to our website. See the "Test Beds" section for the Ritewing stuff. Both the wing, and the website, are still a work in progress. I'll add a logo soon as well...
http://sites.google.com/site/blackbirduav/
Last edited by aero_k; Aug 09, 2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Progress...
Aug 10, 2010, 12:03 AM
this is going to have a very high payload and will need all the sparing it can get. there are 8 carbonfiber and 8 fiberglass spars.

It will be housing:
1 FPV camera
1 10x zoom camera
2 video Tx.
1 14.8v 5200 Li-po
2 11.1v 5200 Li-po
motor
ESC
radio Rx
9 micro Servos (2 for flaps)
approx. 500 .12g airsoft bb's
4 nerf footballs(small) under the wing

If all goes well this is what I will be flying. FYI this is for AIRSOFT and will be used as a UAV, Recon, and Bomber...
Aug 10, 2010, 05:15 AM
Dear lord! I just built a 58" wing using the bluecor-wing building techniques, and it came in at 600 gram AUW.
I am realizing this is ridiculously light, apparently Wing loading of 4.12 oz/sq.ft.

So I am curious what kind of wing loading you are looking at with all that gear on board?
Aug 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
ok got the wing built up... and now installing the electronics... Chris, thanks for the info on the program to find the AC, CG, and everything else... It really helped out a lot! I will be uploading the program to my company website soon so that it can be easily accessed for anyone.
Also for the main camera (uav) i am planning on using a lighter version of this https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=2289457
Tell me what you think!
Aug 24, 2010, 03:26 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshyx
Dear lord! I just built a 58" wing using the bluecor-wing building techniques, and it came in at 600 gram AUW.
I am realizing this is ridiculously light, apparently Wing loading of 4.12 oz/sq.ft.

So I am curious what kind of wing loading you are looking at with all that gear on board?
i think its just a kid with big dreams...
Aug 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Mum is the word!

Being lite isnt always good

In this vid below he is flying over mountain tops at a fairly high speeds,at your wingloading you wouldnt even be able to fly up there,and you might not even have enough battery to get up there.

The winds coming up the valley walls and peaks would push you all over the place,in the vid you see the Zephyr getting bounced around prety well.
She actually handles the turbulance verry well due to the design and all up weight.

If you want an airfoil thats determined by the size and location of the yardstick internal spar ,then bluecore is for you.

Ya the zephs have to weigh more because they are usually hauling a few lbs of gear with bats and motor,thats the ony way you can fly where they fly,fly as fast as the fly,fly as stable as they fly.

If you put that much gear in a bluecore wing so you could fly the same way then you would have to reinfoce it alot,then I bet by the time you were done your all up weight might be fairly close to the Zeph anyway with no durable characteristcs like the Zeph have.

One small mishap of rough landing and the blue core is done .

So What I am trying to say is its crazy to even compare blue core to the zeph.

Ck

Long Range Flight (3 min 12 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshyx

Aug 24, 2010, 12:37 PM
gunna be fiberglassing it this week... should be fun.
Aug 24, 2010, 07:18 PM
CK, Trappy mentioned the blunt nose platform design makes it easier to get CG correct. Would you mind elaborating on this and perhaps any other pro's and cons?

I'm now wondering whether or not I should have ordered the blunt nose for FPV.
Aug 24, 2010, 08:05 PM
Mum is the word!
It gives you a little lighter wing loading, not necessarily easier to hit CG, it gives some more room for gear ,and a little bit more of a nose for camera and stuff.

It wont handle as snappy as the 54''.

I guess it kinda depends on what you are looking for.

ck
Last edited by klique; Aug 24, 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Aug 24, 2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks CK, I might look into the blunt nose at a later stage.

Looking forward to seeing more on the build!
Aug 26, 2010, 07:18 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
did i hear a mention of a 14ft wing in one thread floating around now id like a 14ft wing id build a launch system for it and put some mad ass fpv on it!!!! i bet it would take two 6s lipos just to get her up lol
Aug 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
after we see how well this build ends up... we are planning on a 18 - 20 ft. build... I will be doing a full thread on it if we get to that point.
Aug 26, 2010, 08:39 PM
Mum is the word!
The new cutter can make a wing as big as your wallet,lol

Quick Reply