Another Atempt - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
Registered User
owlsabie's Avatar

Another Atempt

While I'm between projects (well, the autogyro is progressing slowly), I decided to have yet another attempt at designing my own plane.

The criteria- it must be simple, easy to build, able to land on long grass, fairly small, tough and fun to fly. (ok - if it flies, thats success- fun to fly would be awesome!).

For this one I chose the rib profile I used for the waco, as I know it works, but made it longer and deeper- I wanted to add a top spar, and I wanted a highish aspect ratio wing. The power system is the one from the waco. For conveniance- to do with the space in the back of my van - the total size is 700mmx700mm. While I was about it, I roughly copied the fuse profile from a real plane- if this one flies I can just add a couple of wing bays, wing tips, and have a scale plane.

Although it looks a little strange, it is simple and lighter than some of my other planes of similar size. And its robust!

Today was to be the maiden, but there were people using the area I normally fly in, so I gave it a miss. Maybe I'll take it to the club tomorrow?

At the moment its pretty ugly, but if it flies I'll finish the cosmetics and I think it'll be a good looking little plane!

24.07.2010 - The Maiden. To my delight, the little thing took off nice and straight, and flew pretty straight. In fact, the rudder wouldn't turn it at all And the elevator was full up and it just kept it in a gentle climb

With some trepidation, and because I had now almost flown out the field, I tried the ailerons- and got a perfect response So, throttle back and land....(well, that was the plan). Unfortunately, now there was no elevator response at all

Fortunately the wing, tail, &landing gear survived just fine. The idea was that this must be a simple plane, and repairs were very easy- I just cut a new front fuse.

Mistakes- the pushrods to the tail surfaces were bending a lot, and I was worried before I flew that there wasn't enough movement.

Solutions- the pushrods are now supported mid way so they don't wiggle, and the control surfaces move well and freely now. I've also enlarged the surfaces. I've also added a little angle of attack on the front wing relative to the tail, so maybe it'll glide a little better

Happy? I'm very happy It flew nicely, looks good in the air and was easy to fix. My wing is obviously generating enough lift, and is incredibly strong.

Watch this space

25.07.2010 IT FLIES Good control from all surfaces, and an endless glide
I may have just a little too much downthrust, but thats ok.

Next - to make it look like something: in keeping with the project, I'm going to use bits of stuff lying around

08.08.2010 Right- I'm happy! This little plane does exactly what I want it to do, the way I want it to do it. Its a keeper (although, everyone assures me that its the ugliest plane they've ever seen)
Last edited by owlsabie; Aug 08, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Conversion from Citabria to Piper and towing atempt chispas2 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Oct 15, 2009 04:56 AM
Discussion Another Atempt with the Slow Stick Safety Hawk Aerial Photography 0 Aug 05, 2009 12:43 PM
SSO for Ansari X first atempt Alfredo Rubio Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 32 Oct 05, 2004 02:58 AM
My first atempt at photo's Beachernaut Aerial Photography 2 Jun 13, 2003 10:32 AM
Atempt at aerial panoramic CactusJackSlade Aerial Photography 9 Apr 30, 2003 04:29 PM