May 15, 2018, 01:40 PM
Anyone know why my fatshark 1.3ghz goggle module v2 only gives any usable range on channels,1280,1258,?? and really good on 1360mhz -over 5km on just homemade omnis!
The other channels are really crapp 1080,1120,1160,1200, 1320, all give around 200meters! Its as though fatshark have 'doctored' those channels to be unusable?? really strange and annoying too as I want to use ch1080. Any thoughts?
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2018, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Most Yagi designs I've seen do not use even spacing between the directors, but
get progressively wider spaced as you go out the beam, so I
would have been immediately suspicious of your old one.
That said I've also seen ebay Yagis that clearly have random spacing between directors
indicating they pretty much just hand drilled a bunch of holes in the beam and stuck
the directors in to make it *look* like a Yagi.
Thanks Daemon. The old Yagi got me 41km out in range so I know it works, but maybe these other Yagi antennas will do even better based on the test results
May 15, 2018, 02:32 PM
400' ..... NOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladexxl
Anyone know why my fatshark 1.3ghz goggle module v2 only gives any usable range on channels,1280,1258,?? and really good on 1360mhz -over 5km on just homemade omnis!
The other channels are really crapp 1080,1120,1160,1200, 1320, all give around 200meters! Its as though fatshark have 'doctored' those channels to be unusable?? really strange and annoying too as I want to use ch1080. Any thoughts?
Do not use 1080 at all Please. Too close to air traffic ADS-B signals of 1090.
May 15, 2018, 06:24 PM
V2 had an issue with range, mine is V3 but around the 5:30 mark he talks about it....

Fat Shark 1G3 RX Version 3 (FSV2443)Testing (7 min 0 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladexxl
May 16, 2018, 01:53 AM
Thanks for that but mine is the v3-2443.
May 20, 2018, 03:33 PM
Aka... Chris Graham
Hi All,

After trying pretty much every CP option out there I’m looking to start testing some linear setups.

Anyone know where to get decent quality High gain 1.2G Yagis?
There’s not much avail out there.

Cheers,
Chris.
Latest blog entry: Build Pics
May 20, 2018, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBag
Hi All,

After trying pretty much every CP option out there I’m looking to start testing some linear setups.

Cheers,
Chris.
There is an overseas supplier who calls himself the Antenna Master. He builds very high quality Yagi antennas.

He builds them custom-made, based on how many elements you want and the exactly frequency you want it tuned to.

I am in fact about to place a second order with him. If you want, I can add your request to this order, or I can send you his contact info. Shoot me a PM either way if you are interested.

Regarding gain, 12 elements will for example get you 14.9 dB gain, and 19 elements will get you 17.1 dB gain.

I have personally tried his 10 and 19 element Yagis and they vastly outperformed my old 10 element Yagi. See my earlier post, #5398.

Also keep in mind the 19 element Yagi is definitely nice performance-wise but it is quite long. Just make sure you have a sufficiently rigid tripod if you go that route.

Personally, I noticed that even the 10 element Yagi is highly capable.

You can tell he tunes them very well, in the attached photo you can see that for the 19 element Yagi, it has a VSWR of 1.05 at 1280, and just a few Mhz over at 1271 it is a VSWR of 1.40.
May 22, 2018, 11:42 PM
Registered DSer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBag
Hi All,

Cheers,
Chris.
How much gain do you need, Chris?

Linear is the way to go for long range.

I have built a couple of 4-element home made, based on IBCrazy's design, and they're good to at least 30km with an 800mW VTX with a dipole. Stunt Double has posted a 3D printed design that is customised for the frequencies close to 1.3. You only need to print it, cut the director/reflector elements to length, build a dipole, and you get about 9-11 dBi in all directions.

Here's a pic of mine, with the matching antenna base, fastened to a Servo-city P&T.
May 23, 2018, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
How much gain do you need, Chris?

Linear is the way to go for long range.

I have built a couple of 4-element home made, based on IBCrazy's design, and they're good to at least 30km with an 800mW VTX with a dipole. Stunt Double has posted a 3D printed design that is customised for the frequencies close to 1.3. You only need to print it, cut the director/reflector elements to length, build a dipole, and you get about 9-11 dBi in all directions.

Here's a pic of mine, with the matching antenna base, fastened to a Servo-city P&T.
That is seriously cool!
Can you post the link to the 3d files for the yagi? I'm having trouble finding them
May 24, 2018, 12:09 AM
Registered DSer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbanon
That is seriously cool!
Can you post the link to the 3d files for the yagi? I'm having trouble finding them
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2392737

Pick your frequency and download the appropriate files. I use 2mm diameter spring steel as the directors/reflector and 20AWG for the di-pole. I printed the large flat plate mount, which matches the Servocity arm exactly.

Cheers

KahnX (going flying tomorrow - Yay!)
May 24, 2018, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2392737

Pick your frequency and download the appropriate files. I use 2mm diameter spring steel as the directors/reflector and 20AWG for the di-pole. I printed the large flat plate mount, which matches the Servocity arm exactly.

Cheers

KahnX (going flying tomorrow - Yay!)
Thanks! And good luck!
May 25, 2018, 03:00 PM
Aka... Chris Graham
Hi Kahn,

I’ve seen Stunts printed Yagis while reading the mini talon thread recently.
Got a nice printer so can make them easily, might try one.

Was looking at a very high gain Yagi, prob 16-20+dbi for long range as my current cp setup has me running out of legs at just over 100kms.

Been researching all week on building home brew Yagis so looks like I’m heading down that path
Latest blog entry: Build Pics
May 29, 2018, 12:05 AM
Any good linear omnis.I am running the Dragonlink dipoles but just seeing if there are other good options.
Jun 15, 2018, 11:48 PM
Hey guys, im planning on doing some long range stuff. Ive got almost everything i need but the antenna traker and directional antenna. As i am willing to fly with my friend, im using LHCP ibcrazy and true rc singularity antenna.
I heard that mfd aat is probably the best one out there. So im planning to buy one. Any other suggestions or things i should keep in mind?
Also, im having a hard time picking antennas. As i love my singularity antenna, xair seems good but not many retailers nor is the shipping cheap. Also other thoughts are crosshairs and pepperbox. But LHCP are usually out of stock and shipping is bit harsh from american shops. Anyhow, what will be the best directional antenna?

Thanks, Lee
Jun 16, 2018, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihoon
Hey guys, im planning on doing some long range stuff. Ive got almost everything i need but the antenna traker and directional antenna. As i am willing to fly with my friend, im using LHCP ibcrazy and true rc singularity antenna.
I heard that mfd aat is probably the best one out there. So im planning to buy one. Any other suggestions or things i should keep in mind?
Also, im having a hard time picking antennas. As i love my singularity antenna, xair seems good but not many retailers nor is the shipping cheap. Also other thoughts are crosshairs and pepperbox. But LHCP are usually out of stock and shipping is bit harsh from american shops. Anyhow, what will be the best directional antenna?

Thanks, Lee
Personally I just put an order out for the Gatling together with some RHCP singularities. I am hoping this will help a lot with car fpv range as I am currently using dipoles and a home-made biquad (had a cheap yagi before). The MFD AAT is working very well for me, no regrets there. I might even order an iftron clearview xlr receiver, from what I have seen these will help with both increasing range as giving a clear picture at almost all times. (If/when I have money again because I am poor now after ordering the Gatling)

Quick Reply