Thread Tools
Old May 12, 2011, 03:34 AM
AZAerobat is offline
Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Fly More Crash Less
AZAerobat's Avatar
I just got in a 11.5x7.5 Master airscrew forumla 1 prop, thanks for the recommendation killerproblem. I just put the prop on a few minutes ago and ran the motor up a bit. I noticed that with the stock spinner on it seems to be fairly loud and vibrate a bit. Without the spinner it is much quieter and does not vibrate hardly at all except at WOT but the stock prop does that as well. Yes the prop and spinner are balanced. I am wondering if anyone else is running into this using a 12X6 APC or any other prop that is not stock. I noticed the stock prop has small groves on the back that match up with the back plate of the spinner. My guess is that not having those specific groves is the culprit. Right now I am just going to fly it without the spinner.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 10:41 PM
MercerMaggot is offline
Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Registered User
To bonnie. It sounds like your battery was not fully forward. With the battry fully forward, the fastening strap will make no contact with the battery (you connect it around the leads). The end of the battery should be about a quarter of an inch forard of the strap. If you can get the strap around the battery, you will be tail heavy and the plane will be very sensitive to elevator, want to go up on neutral elevator and suffer pitch problems at lower speeds.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:20 AM
Johnny Sebring is offline
Find More Posts by Johnny Sebring
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I just got in a 11.5x7.5 Master airscrew forumla 1 prop, thanks for the recommendation killerproblem. I just put the prop on a few minutes ago and ran the motor up a bit. I noticed that with the stock spinner on it seems to be fairly loud and vibrate a bit. Without the spinner it is much quieter and does not vibrate hardly at all except at WOT but the stock prop does that as well. Yes the prop and spinner are balanced. I am wondering if anyone else is running into this using a 12X6 APC or any other prop that is not stock. I noticed the stock prop has small groves on the back that match up with the back plate of the spinner. My guess is that not having those specific groves is the culprit. Right now I am just going to fly it without the spinner.
You must carve out the spinner to fit that air screw prop (my favorite as well). It's VERY important that it does not touch the prop or distort when the screw is tightened and it just touches the back plate.
It will fit, be patient and be careful not to cut yourself. It's worth it!

The 12x6 was too slow and the real fun of this plane is some speed for me when I want it. 11.5 x 7.5 gives good throttle response and a bit more vertical speed than stock prop.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
bonnie9496 is offline
Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercerMaggot View Post
To bonnie. It sounds like your battery was not fully forward. With the battry fully forward, the fastening strap will make no contact with the battery (you connect it around the leads). The end of the battery should be about a quarter of an inch forard of the strap. If you can get the strap around the battery, you will be tail heavy and the plane will be very sensitive to elevator, want to go up on neutral elevator and suffer pitch problems at lower speeds.
Thanks. The plane is all glued back together.

Waiting for a break in the breeze. Been blowing 10-20mph for 3 days now. It is a pitty HH doesn't place an additional note in the instruction pointing out the change in recommended CG.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:07 AM
Steve91t is offline
Find More Posts by Steve91t
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Thanks. The plane is all glued back together.

Waiting for a break in the breeze. Been blowing 10-20mph for 3 days now. It is a pitty HH doesn't place an additional note in the instruction pointing out the change in recommended CG.
They do. Mine had an insert with the new recommended cg.

Steve
Old May 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
hkremer is offline
Find More Posts by hkremer
RC Addict
hkremer's Avatar
Love this plane, fits right in my trunck of my sedan w/out taking it apart. Flys great, sharp rolls and long slow loops. Woring on inverted and knife edge. BUY THIS PLANE.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
Steve91t is offline
Find More Posts by Steve91t
Registered User
I just got my GoPro in. I'm going to strap the thing to my head and see if I can't get some video of it flying around. Hopefully tomorrow, if it ever quits storming...

Steve
Old May 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
AZAerobat is offline
Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Fly More Crash Less
AZAerobat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Thanks. The plane is all glued back together.

Waiting for a break in the breeze. Been blowing 10-20mph for 3 days now. It is a pitty HH doesn't place an additional note in the instruction pointing out the change in recommended CG.
Mine had a slip of paper in the box as well. They also have it online on their product page as an important bulletin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Sebring View Post
You must carve out the spinner to fit that air screw prop (my favorite as well). It's VERY important that it does not touch the prop or distort when the screw is tightened and it just touches the back plate.
It will fit, be patient and be careful not to cut yourself. It's worth it!

The 12x6 was too slow and the real fun of this plane is some speed for me when I want it. 11.5 x 7.5 gives good throttle response and a bit more vertical speed than stock prop.
Thanks that is what I figured. Right now I am going to fly it with out the spinner but when I get some time to tinker I will cut it down to size with the ol exacto. I was having problems even tightening the stock prop with the spinner on. I did not notice it until I tried a 12X6 prop but they put the backplate of the spinner on backwards and the prop messed up the groves on the backplate. I think I might just order a new one.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
bonnie9496 is offline
Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91t View Post
They do. Mine had an insert with the new recommended cg.

Steve
Double checked the box and instruction pack.
Unfortunately absolutely no notice regarding the CG. Only extra note was a small yellow one "ESC Notice" Maybe Australian stock didn't have the notice? Oh well.......I know now.
Wind looks good for tomorrow. And battery will be in front of the strap!
Old May 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
robusp is offline
Find More Posts by robusp
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
robusp's Avatar
I tried 12x6, 11.5x6,12x7, 11.5x7, 10.5x7 and 11x7.
Last one is my choice. Little slower than stock and doesn't get damaged to easily with my landings.

I put 4 flights on it today. It was perfect day. Warm, sunny and slight breeze.

Rob
Old May 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
shung1 is offline
Find More Posts by shung1
Registered User
shung1's Avatar

Best CG Position?


Hey guys,
what position are you putting your batteries for CG?
Old May 13, 2011, 07:34 PM
robusp is offline
Find More Posts by robusp
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
robusp's Avatar
My 2200 turnigy sit all the way forward. Strap is holding just the wires.
I flown with 1800 zippy, which are 1/3 lighter and had them in the same position.
But I have my Rx and bec all the way back, behind servos and 3/8" thick piece of foam as a stop for battery.
Didn't notice much handling difference, except better climb.
My friend prefers slightly lighter nose and he straps the end of battery.
For first flights I recommend all the way forward, until you get used to the plane.

Rob
(nose heavy flies poorly, tail heavy flies once)
Last edited by robusp; May 13, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:34 PM
Ben82 is offline
Find More Posts by Ben82
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by shung1 View Post
Hey guys,
what position are you putting your batteries for CG?
I started out with the battery all the way forward but now as I am very comortable flying this plane I've started playing with the Cg a bit. Best position so far is with about 10mm of the battery aft of the strap this allows better knife edge flight with very little coupling and in inverted next to no elevator input. Im using a few diferent batteries so results vary a little my main battery is the turigy 2200 25c.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
alucard0822 is offline
Find More Posts by alucard0822
Registered User
alucard0822's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben82 View Post
I started out with the battery all the way forward but now as I am very comortable flying this plane I've started playing with the Cg a bit. Best position so far is with about 10mm of the battery aft of the strap this allows better knife edge flight with very little coupling and in inverted next to no elevator input. Im using a few diferent batteries so results vary a little my main battery is the turigy 2200 25c.
I'm flying with mine in the same spot. All the way forward is a bit easier to fly simple aerobatics, and more stable at speed. It's best to start with the battery forward, then slowly move it back till you get it right. When it is in the right spot, the tail control is crisp and quick, but doesn't keep rotating too much once you let off the stick, knife edge is stable, dives are straight without tucking or flattening out, and on a plane like this, I like it where the plane flies level at 3/4 throttle upright or inverted. Thrust angle, trim and a few other things play into this, but the Extra is set up pretty well, once the control throws are centered, and you get CG right, it flies very well.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:40 AM
aarongreen123 is offline
Find More Posts by aarongreen123
Registered User
My landing gear fell last night, conveniantly right after takeoff. Is this common and how can i prevent it? Thanks!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone's F4F Wildcat Owners Thread ChuckTseeker Electric Warbirds 18222 Dec 07, 2016 07:41 PM
Discussion Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP Owners thread tdriedger Micro Ready-to-Fly 3040 Sep 11, 2016 12:14 AM
Cool Its here!!!! Parkzone extra 300 lightspeeddud Parkflyers 26 May 31, 2010 09:34 PM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 04:00 PM
Parkzone F-27 Stryker owners--Are you happy with it? BuzzBomber Parkflyers 43 Mar 21, 2008 11:49 PM