Sep 12, 2016, 10:44 AM

Extra 300 with drop out landing gear, no gear drag

I finally took some video of my Extra 300 with drop out gear on take off with belly landing. At first I had rigged a way to use the stock landing gear, but found my old Aerobird Xtreme gear, with a narrower wire guage and bends worked perfectly, even better, without modification. Have a look on You Tube. I intend to use this method with modifications on my E-Flite Rare Bear.

The title is: Parkzone Extra 300 with drop out gear.

Flies beautifully without the gear. Although you not see much inverted flight, I have the battery located so that when I flip it upside down it still flies level. But I am also using a Power 25, 1800 4s battery, 60 am ESC, 8x8 APC prop and even had it going over 93 mph when I was doing speed runs with the new Voltron GPS speed meter earlier this summer.

Hope you like it.

Parkzone Extra 300 with drop out gear on takeoff (3 min 21 sec)

Here is the other way I launch them without landing gear. Works pretty well.

Launch Dolly for RC Planes with Takeoff and Landings (13 min 3 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2016, 07:58 PM
new Biplaner to be 04 2013
Hi creative rc,
thanks for the vids! Nicely done.

Man you sure got bitten by the tinker bug
I like your plane collection too.

Happy landings
CCC
Sep 14, 2016, 08:06 PM

grounded

My totally stock Extra 300 is grounded right now.
Had a rough landing with a short ground prop strike at the end.
Now she won't fire up all the way any more, motor is responding but no control surface reaction. She did that once in the past, but came back after un and re plugging all receiver and gyro connections?
No real problem findings back then.

Any ideas?
Esc issue?

Happy landings
CCC
Sep 15, 2016, 03:32 AM
BMFA 190658
Yeah I'd suspect the ESC has gone bad, especially if the prop was turning when it struck.

What Rx setup do you have? You say 'totally stock' yet also say it has gyro connections...

Tony
Sep 15, 2016, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Yeah I'd suspect the ESC has gone bad, especially if the prop was turning when it struck.

What Rx setup do you have? You say 'totally stock' yet also say it has gyro connections...

Tony
Well I got her used in rough shape as pnp, except for an "included" battery.
The battery, broken landing gear attachment in the fuse and the LG wire where all one solid glued together block.
But I fixed it all nicely, Including stripped ailerons servos.
Flew her at first with a spectrum 6 receiver only but added an extra 3axis gyro real quick to it. She's still a bit above my flying skills but the gyro helped a lot. She's my official storm chaser now.
I use a NX3 GYRO.

Thanks for your response.
I'll try another esc when I get a chance.

Happy landings
CCC
Dec 24, 2016, 07:49 AM
Happy Holidays!

CCC
Jun 26, 2017, 12:13 PM
Best mod I've made is a Lemon stabilized receiver. $21 if you have a Spectrum Dsmx TX.
Jun 26, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy
Best mod I've made is a Lemon stabilized receiver. $21 if you have a Spectrum Dsmx TX.
Hi,
I added an external 3axis gyro to my sektrum rx.
Given my flying skills it made my Extra 300, my Storm chaser, which is what I hoped for.

At first I had the gains set way to high though.
It shook the vertical stab and rudder off in flight.
Managed to land her safely, tailsection has been rebuild from scratch with reinforcement.

I bought her used with quite some damage and owner induced flaws but fixed her up again.
She flies well again and became a "movie star"

RC Flying Thingys (7 min 40 sec)

Happy landings
CCC
Jun 26, 2017, 03:25 PM
All generalizations are bad
Aaaah, Looney Tunes - The soundtrack to my entire flying hobby experience.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:28 PM
The Lemon is a receiver and stab for 21 dollars. I do not shove the battery all the way forward finding a forward cg conducive to tip stall. Reglue the cf spar on the horizontal stab and no more accelerated stalls. 3d is possible and with vortex generators nice slow landing are safe
Jan 04, 2018, 04:58 PM
I Hate Orange Props
Extra 300 parkzone onboard 4k camera (1 min 23 sec)

Onboard camera
Jan 04, 2018, 05:32 PM
resU deretsigeR
Nice video. Man i miss mine...loved that plane..
Latest blog entry: My TR-260 second flight.
Jan 04, 2018, 05:55 PM
BMFA 190658
I had some very happy flights with mine too!

I think it’s on borrowed time now though...
The wings are gorilla glued on and it’s generally a bit of a mess now...

My Night Visionarie seems to have takenover as my goto plane for thumb warming exercises.

The ‘ol Extra is still a pleasure to fly. It’s just ended up boxed in in the hangar and doesn’t get out much any more
Jan 04, 2018, 07:46 PM
resU deretsigeR
I plowed mine into a field under full 4s throttle awhile back......all she wrote...lol tried to get another one )-:
Latest blog entry: My TR-260 second flight.
Jan 04, 2018, 09:16 PM
I still have mine and fly it from time to time. I still love it and haven’t had issues.

Quick Reply