New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:31 AM
orbit_01 is offline
Find More Posts by orbit_01
Registered User
Hi again Josh,

After reading ... I have now removed the elevator section from the Extra, cut and epoxied a 3mm square box section piece of CF across the entire length of the Horiz Stab ... have to say, that piece of foam is now so rigid, you could surf on it :-)

I have also sliced through the middle of the Rudder and inserted a 3mm wide piece of flat CF, secured with CA ... The rudder is now also very stiff.

Weather permitting, I will fly her tomorrow and see what characteristic differences these CF mods have made.

If not enough, i'll look into the vortex generators from the link you posted, thanks.

Will let you know flying results tomorrow.

Thanks again, appreciated ;-)

Andrew
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:29 AM
Rickflaguy is offline
Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Registered User
Vortex Generators allow a higher angle of attack and much more controlled slow flight as well as a gentler stall.

SFGs have been tried by many with some success. Search attachments using thread tools and you will find some templates.

I am using 12 mm elevator movement and have had no stalls with fine manuverability. To do this I used both mechanical ant rates on the TX.

Another useful mod is the APC 12x6 prop. Lots of thrust and that helps with manuevering at slow speeds.

Piece of advice on the vortex generators. The paint comes off easily. I advise a little ca on some plastic. Glue to the paint and yank it off exposing bare foam. You can use Tamaya orange for touch up.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:54 PM
jgalexander is offline
Find More Posts by jgalexander
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
jgalexander's Avatar
Good job! I probably would've still been thinking about it, and you're done!
Have fun,
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit_01 View Post
Hi again Josh,

After reading ... I have now removed the elevator section from the Extra, cut and epoxied a 3mm square box section piece of CF across the entire length of the Horiz Stab ... have to say, that piece of foam is now so rigid, you could surf on it :-)

I have also sliced through the middle of the Rudder and inserted a 3mm wide piece of flat CF, secured with CA ... The rudder is now also very stiff.

Weather permitting, I will fly her tomorrow and see what characteristic differences these CF mods have made.

If not enough, i'll look into the vortex generators from the link you posted, thanks.

Will let you know flying results tomorrow.

Thanks again, appreciated ;-)

Andrew
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:27 AM
JDMJim is offline
Find More Posts by JDMJim
Registered User
JDMJim's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Vortex Generators allow a higher angle of attack and much more controlled slow flight as well as a gentler stall.

SFGs have been tried by many with some success. Search attachments using thread tools and you will find some templates.

I am using 12 mm elevator movement and have had no stalls with fine manuverability. To do this I used both mechanical ant rates on the TX.

Another useful mod is the APC 12x6 prop. Lots of thrust and that helps with manuevering at slow speeds.

Piece of advice on the vortex generators. The paint comes off easily. I advise a little ca on some plastic. Glue to the paint and yank it off exposing bare foam. You can use Tamaya orange for touch up.
I was going to pin them into the wingtip when decide to do this. I used to have nylon pins for attaching lexan wings together rc cars
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:05 AM
Rickflaguy is offline
Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
I was going to pin them into the wingtip when decide to do this. I used to have nylon pins for attaching lexan wings together rc cars
Check lateral balance when adding weight to the wingtips.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:53 AM
orbit_01 is offline
Find More Posts by orbit_01
Registered User
Hi guys, thanks for all the good info, appreciated.

Bad weather and work have been getting in the way of flying my Extra, so I'll see how my tail mods react and then decide on the need for wingtip sfg's and/or vortex generators.

I like the idea of the 12x6 prop, I have a few of them laying in a box so I'll balance one up and give it a go.

Also, on the subject of tail stiffening mods, I did another on the Vert Stab by inserting 2 CF rods vertically in a cross shape through the Vert Stab and into the foam above the Horiz Stab. I then secured these new CF rods with CA.
The entire tailend of my Extra is now very much stiffer than stock, so hopefully that will make a very positive difference.

Flight report to follow...

Cheers

Andrew
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:57 AM
JDMJim is offline
Find More Posts by JDMJim
Registered User
JDMJim's Avatar
I brought the E300 out yesterday, I have to fly it last since I brought my Albatross and Neuiport with....bad mix of planes....My landings were all messed up and I was trying to go TOO slow to land....thanks to the bipes....lol
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
Rickflaguy is offline
Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Registered User

Vortex Generators revisited


I just flew the Extra. Stock with an APC 12x6 prop.

Using the instructions for vortex generators I added them 1/2 up the wing and every 3" along the wing.

Results

Enhanced slow flight cantrol
Stable nose-drop stall
Increased aileron effectiveness especially in slow flight
Gentle landings with a shorter approach.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:31 PM
Limited flyer is offline
Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
I might give the s.f.g.s a shot, but i dunno no.
I kind of like the pucker moment on a high speed landing
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:38 PM
Rickflaguy is offline
Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
I might give the s.f.g.s a shot, but i dunno no.
I kind of like the pucker moment on a high speed landing
Who said you can't still. Just gives some options and allows for smaller fields. Great with aerobatics
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
Edge767 is offline
Find More Posts by Edge767
AMA 52726
Edge767's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I just flew the Extra. Stock with an APC 12x6 prop.

Using the instructions for vortex generators I added them 1/2 up the wing and every 3" along the wing.

Results

Enhanced slow flight cantrol
Stable nose-drop stall
Increased aileron effectiveness especially in slow flight
Gentle landings with a shorter approach.
Which instructions did you use? I've been looking for instructions but can't find any. I know what they look like, and I've seen plenty on full-scale aircraft but I haven't seen any instructions for the Extra 300. Do you have a link, perhaps? I want to try these out.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:42 PM
Rickflaguy is offline
Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Which instructions did you use? I've been looking for instructions but can't find any. I know what they look like, and I've seen plenty on full-scale aircraft but I haven't seen any instructions for the Extra 300. Do you have a link, perhaps? I want to try these out.
I'll post a link when I have access to my desktop. I posted them here but can't find the link.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:45 PM
Rickflaguy is offline
Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Which instructions did you use? I've been looking for instructions but can't find any. I know what they look like, and I've seen plenty on full-scale aircraft but I haven't seen any instructions for the Extra 300. Do you have a link, perhaps? I want to try these out.
Follow this link

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7100
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
xrichierichx is offline
Find More Posts by xrichierichx
Registered User
So I purchased this plane flew it one time and crash landed into a snow bank. I fixed it up and tried to fly her again but it didn't have enough power to take off anymore. I figured that it was due to snow getting in the electric motor. So I purchased a new stock motor put her in and Im having the same problem. Im guessing its the ESC and not the motor now? I have also heard that the 30amp ESC is not well suited for the motor and should be using a 35 or 40 amp ESC? Could somebody recommend me a good ESC for this plane? Maybe one cheaper than the $45 stock one.

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:33 AM
Rickflaguy is offline
Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrichierichx View Post
So I purchased this plane flew it one time and crash landed into a snow bank. I fixed it up and tried to fly her again but it didn't have enough power to take off anymore. I figured that it was due to snow getting in the electric motor. So I purchased a new stock motor put her in and Im having the same problem. Im guessing its the ESC and not the motor now? I have also heard that the 30amp ESC is not well suited for the motor and should be using a 35 or 40 amp ESC? Could somebody recommend me a good ESC for this plane? Maybe one cheaper than the $45 stock one.

Thanks
Could the battery have filled with snow?
Describe the engine sound. Low RPM or surging?
Check all your wires. Could one of the three ESC wires have pulled loose?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone's F4F Wildcat Owners Thread ChuckTseeker Electric Warbirds 18222 Yesterday 07:41 PM
Discussion Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP Owners thread tdriedger Micro Ready-to-Fly 3040 Sep 11, 2016 12:14 AM
Cool Its here!!!! Parkzone extra 300 lightspeeddud Parkflyers 26 May 31, 2010 09:34 PM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 04:00 PM
Parkzone F-27 Stryker owners--Are you happy with it? BuzzBomber Parkflyers 43 Mar 21, 2008 11:49 PM