Nov 02, 2011, 09:32 PM
Fly Naked !
That is the great thing about the Extra, it does inspire you to try new things or to master things you tried before with other planes and failed at. For me it was inverted flight that puckered my butt really bad. It cost me a FunJet. My xp got me headed in the right direction with inverted but it was the Extra that made it comfortable for me. Probably what PZ had in mind when they designed this plane, for it to be a confidence builder.
I left the Extra home today and took my original Stryker out for 4 flights. Only reason I mention it is it has Elevons made from the shortened ailerons from my worst set of Extra wings. I call it the FrankenStryker due to it having parts from 4 different planes on it. Motor, ESC and servos from my FunJet, balsa tail fins I made for a Parkflyers EDF, Stryker body and hatch, and Extra ailerons and control horns. I have a new body for it that came the other day but the ugly hot glued and taped up thing still flies very good.
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; Nov 03, 2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2011, 09:26 PM
Fly Naked !
Made a couple of serious attempts at flying from grass today. I picked the closest thing to level ground in the field near to home. Takeoffs were no problem even though the ground under the close cropped grass was slightly rough. Landings unfortunately were about what I expected and both times the Extra ended up on her back with the landing gear pointed skyward. The second time I busted off one of my meat tray winglets, now I gotta buy more hamburger! LOL. Maybe I should try one of the greens on the local golf course? That should be smooth enough for my feeble skills to handle. Getting started on a scratch built EDF tomorrow so that should give you all a break from my ramblings. Hope everyone has a good flying weekend, I will too as soon as I get that hamburger.
Nov 04, 2011, 01:18 PM
Lovin' it. Mods are 11.5x7.5 Master Airscrew Formula One Prop, 8mm Carbon Rod added to wing spar, Stiffened Elevator, Custom landing gear made by reforming the handle from a cat litter bucket, Winglets made from 6mm Depron Foam covering in orange Packing Tape, Acrylic paint on pilot to match scheme. Servo horns on outer and control surfaces on 2nd to closest hole positions. Also trimmed the rudder horn, as it was messing with the elevator on full deflection.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread.

Last edited by heli-on; Nov 04, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Nov 04, 2011, 01:43 PM
I thought I would share this video. I know there are a lot of people who are afraid of this thing and the way it will drop a wing (stall).

Parkzone Extra 300 GoPro (3 min 57 sec)

I took this video yesterday. At the 2:39 mark, the right wing stalled. Even though I had plenty of speed, I just pulled a little too hard and the wing stalled.

The way to correct is:
1) Neutral elevator
2) Level the wings
3) Full power
4) Ease in up elevator and climb away from the ground.

It's very hard to see your plane close to the ground and headed downhill quick and not pull even harder on the elevator. The ONLY way to avoid a crash is to break the stall.

Now, in the video, my plane is loaded with FPV gear (although I wasn't flying FPV), so it's heavy. That's why it stalled at such a high speed. But as you can see, I lost a lot of altitude. It can happen quickly, but being prepared will save your plane.

Hope this helps somebody!
Steve
Nov 05, 2011, 01:29 AM
Fly Naked !
heli-on,
Great job on the mods, looks like a factory job. Hope it flies as good as it looks, it should. Also nice work identifying the interference with the control horn and elevator.

Steve91t,
Great video and flying as always. Thanks. Good analysis of the stall and recovery procedure. Yes it is instinctive to yank back harder on the stick and worsen the stall, Thats what happen to me once with my original Extra. Kind of like when you are inverted and get too low you panic and want to pull back instead of pushing the stick or rolling out.
Nov 05, 2011, 02:02 PM
AIMDROIX
I crash mine. I was rolling or at least trying , I went nose down but I was at high rate and when try to recover I hit full elevator and that was the end instead of pitching up I roll left and was not able to recover and hit the ground. Sometimes I just forgot this is not one of my epp 3d's.

My question is if there any cheap turnigy motor that can be used . 50 bucks for a new PZ motor is way too much.
Nov 05, 2011, 02:12 PM
Performed some surgery on mine today, just waiting for the epoxy to fully cure before pulling off the tape. The gear is WAY more solid now, and there's about half an ounce of extra weight max all done.

I'll get some pictures after I pull the tape off.
Nov 05, 2011, 04:17 PM
Fly Naked !
DaxFX,
I'm sure HK has several that will work. Here are some other suggestions.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m602-big...826-950kv.html

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...motor_class=85
Nov 05, 2011, 05:05 PM
LG repair pictures:

Nov 05, 2011, 10:29 PM
Why not just take the gear fairings and wheel pants off? Take off weight instead of adding it.
Nov 06, 2011, 09:43 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons
LG repair pictures:
Just remember, something has to give.
If you make landing gear mount too strong, you'll brake the fuse.

Rob
Nov 06, 2011, 10:22 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91t
I thought I would share this video. I know there are a lot of people who are afraid of this thing and the way it will drop a wing (stall).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrTTZVt-Zmk

I took this video yesterday. At the 2:39 mark, the right wing stalled. Even though I had plenty of speed, I just pulled a little too hard and the wing stalled.

The way to correct is:
1) Neutral elevator
2) Level the wings
3) Full power
4) Ease in up elevator and climb away from the ground.

It's very hard to see your plane close to the ground and headed downhill quick and not pull even harder on the elevator. The ONLY way to avoid a crash is to break the stall.

Now, in the video, my plane is loaded with FPV gear (although I wasn't flying FPV), so it's heavy. That's why it stalled at such a high speed. But as you can see, I lost a lot of altitude. It can happen quickly, but being prepared will save your plane.

Hope this helps somebody!
Steve
Jeez you guys do tickle me with your stall/tip stalls!

I do a lot of full sized gliding and what you are describing is a classic Spin

I'm not saying anybody's wrong here and more to the point the recovery is spot on.

So I guess who cares what it's called as long as the model is saved...
Nov 06, 2011, 12:04 PM
Fly Naked !
SilentPilot
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a spin begin with a stall?

On my second flight today I dumb thumbed my Extra into the ground on landing approach. I have been trying to break myself of my left turn bias, today I was trying to do a right hand 180 degree turn for landing. The first one went smoothly. On the second try I had a brain fart then panicked, over-corrected and smacked the ground hard enough to break a prop, shatter the cowling and bend the gear back about 20 degrees. On a positive note my reinforced gear plug didn't budge. Thank God for spare parts. I wonder if cowlings would be cheaper by the dozen?
Nov 06, 2011, 12:07 PM
AIMDROIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON
DaxFX,
I'm sure HK has several that will work. Here are some other suggestions.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m602-big...826-950kv.html

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...motor_class=85
Thanks can You please guide me to a turnigy one
Nov 06, 2011, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Jeez you guys do tickle me with your stall/tip stalls!

I do a lot of full sized gliding and what you are describing is a classic Spin

I'm not saying anybody's wrong here and more to the point the recovery is spot on.

So I guess who cares what it's called as long as the model is saved...
I flew gliders and towed them from 13 to 19 years old and now I'm a commercial pilot with the airlines. You are correct, that most people are spinning these things in. But they do start with the stall, and that's what people aren't recognizing. That's why when I actually got the stall on video, I thought I would share.

Quick Reply