Sep 22, 2010, 06:08 AM
I do this for fun!
Hi Trappy,

I haven't seen the vid yet but I'm sure it'll be great.

What 5V power supply did you end up using after your first one gave trouble, and are you using any power filtering?

Ken.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2010, 06:13 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I'm using the recom 5V from NGHobbies in connection with a 470uF cap and 100uH choke at the input and a 470uF cap on the output.
Sep 22, 2010, 08:02 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
sorry for the slightly off topic comment :P.. but trappy you use ezuhf right? how is that compared to dragonlink and other competitors. im after range about 10km +or- and transmit video at 1.2ghz

cheers
Sep 22, 2010, 08:08 AM
^^ x2. looking at it for the "near" future. OSD too
Sep 22, 2010, 08:13 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
all I can say is I'm extremely happy with it. I don't want to start another "System A" is better than "System B" discussion as I haven't tried the DragonLink yet - I'm supposed to get a demo unit sooner or later to compare the two. Advantage of the EzUHF is the "commercial-grade finish" of both the TX and the RX, but it does set you back an additional $100 from what I've seen.

In combination with the EzOSD, which I already had, it was the logical decision to go for the EzUHF for the in-depth RSSI information. Range-wise I'm sure both are relatively comparable although the EzUHF does have the theoretical edge as far as I've seen (our link budget was over 180km at times, free space loss considered).

The TSLRS requires a higher output power to achieve the same results, which brings a host of different problems in terms of isolating your ground-station from the higher output power. If I put the EzUHF on high power I can see slight noise in my goggles. I'd imagine with the 7W booster of the TSLRS there would need to be significant spatial distance between the TX and RX to avoid seeing noise in the picture. Some short discussions with TSLRS customers confirm that.

All in all, I would highly recommend a UHF system if you fly in high-noise environments where crashing can cause harm to "bystanders". The RSSI information is invaluable. It had me "grounded but safe", whereas if I didn't have RSSI I might have flown further out and might have had to ask a hooker to return my plane
Last edited by trappy; Sep 22, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
Sep 22, 2010, 08:51 AM
Post # 20 million
Not to mention headtracker plug n play .

I've had a tlrs and a have a dragon link atm, in the near future i'll play with a Ezuhf, i'm not biased, i'll fly with any UHF .

Cheers, Kev.
Sep 22, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hey Trappy. I'm sure this is going to mean you repeating yourself but what Hacker motor do you use and what lipo size??

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
you don't need it to go vertical. just use the same setup we have here, it will give you a steep climb while keeping it light (= "throwable")
Sep 22, 2010, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
A30-L I think. 1080kV from what I remember, with a 55A ESC and 9x7 prop. 4S lipo 2x 3.3Ah
Sep 22, 2010, 09:10 AM
What was that...
Dan, i've just ordered some 4s lipo and a few more props (ironically not a 9x7) - we can do some tests on saturday.
Sep 22, 2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
you don't need it to go vertical. just use the same setup we have here, it will give you a steep climb while keeping it light (= "throwable")
Keeping it light seems to be very important, but Not going vertical takes all the fun out of it I am working on having mine do both

Mike
Sep 22, 2010, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Mike, vertical performance on a pusher requires a significant thrust to weight ratio. I'd rather go for higher pitch speed than optimizing vertical performance, because you won't need to go vertical too much but having speed available is always nice
Sep 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
BTW, Awesome new video trappy, I love it. Its like getting to tour Prague without even leaving my house ! I almost fell out of my chair laughing in the first 5 seconds of that video, do you still have 10 fingers

Mike
Sep 22, 2010, 09:32 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
yeah, just got a little cut and my finger hurts a bit no idea what got into RiSCyD there, he just powered up while I was holding the plane at the motor-mount ...

to go under the bridge you'd need to book a boat-ride normally by the way. flying through seemed significantly cheaper
Sep 22, 2010, 09:36 AM
Who needs a boat trip anyway, you can do that when you're 70!!

Quote:
yeah, just got a little cut and my finger hurts a bit no idea what got into RiSCyD there, he just powered up while I was holding the plane at the motor-mount ...

to go under the bridge you'd need to book a boat-ride normally by the way. flying through seemed significantly cheaper
Sep 22, 2010, 03:57 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au
Not to mention headtracker plug n play .

I've had a tlrs and a have a dragon link atm, in the near future i'll play with a Ezuhf, i'm not biased, i'll fly with any UHF .

Cheers, Kev.

Not so fast, Tracker at this point is not plug and play! Turns out the manual is incorrect when it says you can use standard s-video cable. They are working on this now, but cables are not available yet. I still need to make up my own cable with the proper pinouts to get it running.

Quick Reply