Sep 16, 2010, 10:27 AM
Destructive testing expert!
My guess is that you'll draw more than 40 amps with this setup. I'd get a 60 amp ESC minimum.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandarra
Flying Gear: estimated total weight: 771+g
- Propeller: Folding 10x6 ~15g
- Spinner: Have found a few "cheap" ones but have concerns over balance, structural integrity and the ability to fold (the other way) backwards XXg
- Motor: TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 35-36 1400Kv / 550w 115g
- ESC: TURNIGY Plush 40amp 33g
- Receiver: Futaba R149DP or Corona RP8D1 or Corona RP6D1 (might get one of each for future different projects too) ~15g
- Servos: BMS-661DMG+HS Super Fast Digital Servo (MG) 6.4kg / .08sec / 46.5g 93g
- Bateries: What C rating should I get for a couple of 4S 2000-3000mAh ones? (I have 2x 3S 25C 2200mAh ones already to try at first, with no FPV gear in) ~500g

FPV Gear: estimated total weight: ~250g
- Camera: GoPro HD Hero 150g
- Mic: GoPro HD Hero 0g
- VTx: Sunsky 1.2GHz 400mW 50g
- Antenna: stock, rubber ducky one, maybe upgrade to custom built one (not reached video limit yet) XXg
- AV cable: from gopro to VTx XXg
- VTx cable: power/ground XXg

This is my estimate at the moment, which I suppose can go up. In total it is around 1000g and I expect it to go up. I don't see how you're setups can be that different, specially because as I see it you have more powerful motors and heavier bateries. half of the total 1000g of gear is 500g for the bateries. and I was only going by what CK told me that the frame would be another 1kg...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2010, 10:31 AM
Crashomatic
771gr is not 1.2kg by far
my wing is around 700-800 and so is the gear which makes a total of 1.4kg-1.5kg (depends if i put my 30C or 25C's in and stuff like that)
my fpv gear alone doesn't go above 125gr so that's always smth i suppose. (incl. wiring)

i kind of want to get this setup lighter someday, like 50gr fpv gear, but what's really heavy are the batteries. My wing could be made a bit lighter too I went a bit hard on the 3M90 and gorilla

I suppose 2KG wings have heavy 4s batteries, heavier motor and crazy equipement onboard (camera + gopro + separate battery for FPV and a zillion sensors maybe ^^) + whole wing fiber of course. For me, those are too hard to launch and go too fast for quick landings. They're prolly good for heavy long range users living in large spaces who have to deal with a lot of wind and so on (that said i like when the wing gets pushed around by the wind!

ps: for that 1.4-1.5kg my ESC is 60A not 40.
Sep 16, 2010, 11:08 AM
What was that...
Bandarra IMHO I dont think you should compromise flight performance for portability. The airlines are taking strange boxes of all shapes and sizes all day long. I've brought 2 bikes and 4 or 5 RC Planes back from USA. You'll have to pay for oversize baggage but i think you'll be happier at the end of the day with a 54" or 60" Zephyr that a one piece wing.
Anyway thats me
Sep 16, 2010, 11:27 AM
@ Bill: Yes, i realize that, just didnt update it to a 60A yet, the point here was purely weight, but thanks again, will revise that in a bit.

@ Crash: Thats the thing, at least to start with I want to make mine as light and simple as possible. normal flying gear, 1 camera, 1 vtx and thats it. no sensors, no gps, no osd etc. What I think i'll end up doing is getting the 54'', build the frame light, put in just the essential flying gear and get it up in the air, then take it from there add more stuff.

@ Stealth: yeah, i know where you are coming from but I did a quote on DHL and it came out as something like 200 lol. This is because it is such a large volume they charge it at a given density so it would be like something that weighs about 105kg they said. Anyway I think I'll go for the no compromises full performance job, and then just live with the transporting, like using the car etc etc...

The girlfriend was trying to talk me out of it because of the portability and because everything is getting bigger and more expensive... F* that! I want a mean mad machine, and I'm gonna build it, and it's going to be awesome! lol or so i hope...
Sep 16, 2010, 11:36 AM
Mums the word.
I have to admit...

On 3s The plush 40a may cut it. I am using the plush 40a in my Radian and it pulls about 44A with a full charge. After a few mins of flying it draws 38-39A with the voltage sag. The Radian has much more air flow through the cabin then a wing would. I'm not sure how long the ESC will last with this setup. I installed a UBEC just in case the ESC fails. I also try and limit the max Amps to less then 400amps.

I'm not sure if the Amps will go up when I try a 4s. We will see.
Sep 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
The 40A ESC will handle 45A on a 3S any day and won't fail. not sure about 4S though, might be pushing your luck there man2000me

--------

just flew the "Ultimate Zephyr" today. knocked off both winglets on transport and didn't bring any glue, so I was "forced" to fly without. it's a bit wobbly like that but nothing major. I'm having problems with my video range, I get about 500m and then things go south. flew back more or less blind. not sure what's up there, could be the cable leading out to the VTx or the VTx itself. oh well, back to the drawing board ...
Sep 16, 2010, 12:35 PM
hmm... bad times, but yeah, check your connections.

On the winglets, I suppose you have them glued on then... any idea what a screw would screw on to if you were to make the removable?
Sep 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
nope, I always glue them on, so no idea how to make them removable. I've seen some guys here make them removable, though, so I'm sure someone can chip in?

I've CA'ed them properly this time. I'm pretty sure they won't come off
Sep 16, 2010, 03:07 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
here's a short vid from the maiden. My initial impressions have been confirmed after the maiden ... don't expect me to fly through tunnels with this thing! it tracks like a dart and takes half a football pitch to turn around smoothly. it's a different level of awesome entirely, but not for low and quick maneuvers. I'll need to see what I can do with it once I've gotten more familiar, but for now this will be the "long range & mountain dash" kind of plane I've always wanted. so look at my last movie, and imagine 30% more speed, a lot smoother turns and probably a meter or two closer to the ground

here's the vid
(2 min 41 sec)

on another note ... does anyone know how I can enable the motor brake on the Hacker 55A ESC? being the idiot that I am, I threw away the instructions manual
Sep 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
What was that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
nope, I always glue them on, so no idea how to make them removable. I've seen some guys here make them removable, though, so I'm sure someone can chip in?

I've CA'ed them properly this time. I'm pretty sure they won't come off
By looking at this pic ...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=268
it looks like he's used those nylon bolts and i would assume that the nut is ca'd or gorilla glued into the wing.

Trappy, Congrats, but i'll keep the champagne on ice till you've sorted the video reception
Sep 16, 2010, 03:45 PM
---
Last edited by AgentCow007; Dec 08, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Sep 16, 2010, 04:00 PM
Crashomatic
For the winglet i took large (6mm) nylon screws and nuts
the nuts are glued inside the EPP (cut the epp first) with epoxy 5min. it wont go away unless you crash pretty damn hard

picture:

Last edited by CrashMeUp; Sep 16, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Sep 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
What was that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
here's a short vid from the maiden. My initial impressions have been confirmed after the maiden ... don't expect me to fly through tunnels with this thing! it tracks like a dart and takes half a football pitch to turn around smoothly. it's a different level of awesome entirely, but not for low and quick maneuvers. I'll need to see what I can do with it once I've gotten more familiar, but for now this will be the "long range & mountain dash" kind of plane I've always wanted. so look at my last movie, and imagine 30% more speed, a lot smoother turns and probably a meter or two closer to the ground

here's the vid

on another note ... does anyone know how I can enable the motor brake on the Hacker 55A ESC? being the idiot that I am, I threw away the instructions manual
yeah i'm always doing that

Trappy from watching the vid it look like youv'e got a lot of power there
ENJOY

Quick Reply