Sep 16, 2010, 01:26 AM
Some people say that they are really good, others...

why is yours utter crap AgentCow007?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2010, 01:44 AM
---
Last edited by AgentCow007; Dec 08, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Sep 16, 2010, 02:28 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119
Ah, I think I finally understand what you are doing. You run two extra glass rods down the wing on the top. Then you put the riteweave only on the bottom and put laminate on the top. Is that correct?
4 glass rods, 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom (right on top of each other). the rest is correct
Sep 16, 2010, 02:30 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken
A receiver like this one?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...iver_9Ch_36Mhz

Also, can you please say a little more about how you're powering the radio and the video?

Thanks,

Ken.
yup, that's the one. I use the provided BEC from the turnigy plush ESCs for powering the servos. the video gear is powered through 2 of these (one set to 5V for the video, one set to 12V for the camera)
http://fpv4ever.com/product.php?id_product=86
Sep 16, 2010, 06:31 AM
I do this for fun!
Thanks Trappy,

I have been PM'ing with Klique about 'my' Zephyr, and I'm not sure whether to go with the 6" 'blunt nose" section added, or keep the wing as yours is. My reasons for considering adding the centre section are to make the plane a better thermaller at similar weight to yours.

What are your thoughts, O mighty Last 1 Down?

Ken.
Sep 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Hi Ken,

If you'll be slope-soaring then either will be fine as long as you keep it around my weight (1.4 - 1.5kg). For pure thermal soaring (as in look for lift and climb up high) I suggest to get a Parkzone Radian, EasyGlider or Cularis (or Radian Pro, coming out soon). The reason is that with the Zephyr you will only climb in extremely strong thermals, and even then it's more like river-rafting a yacht than enjoyable thermaling. The Zephyr does thermal, but it's more enjoyable if you can use a slope where you can climb by flying straight instead of having to turn, slip, counter-turn, slip again, etc.

So, in short: If you want to slope-soar, any Zephyr is good, just keep it light. For thermal soaring a conventional glider is better.
Sep 16, 2010, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
4 glass rods, 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom (right on top of each other). the rest is correct
Well, according to Chris, my zephyr kit was comming with 6 glass rods, so I think that I have just enough to build my zephyr the "light way" like you did.
Sep 16, 2010, 07:06 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
2 glass spars, 4 glass rods, I think.
Sep 16, 2010, 07:11 AM
which size pushrods do you recommend: the 2-56 or 4-40?
Sep 16, 2010, 07:19 AM
I ordered the aeronaut 10x7 prop the other day. All I can say is that for $30, that better be one heck of a prop. I just couldn't seem to find anything else that fit the application.
Sep 16, 2010, 07:28 AM
I do this for fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
If you'll be slope-soaring then either will be fine as long as you keep it around my weight (1.4 - 1.5kg).
I thought yours is at 2.2Kg?
Sep 16, 2010, 07:37 AM
I did some calcs on my own project and came to the not very nice conclusion that I had ~1.2kg of gear, and a 48'' zeph frame only should weight about another 1kg by CK experience. So it is too much weight for the 48''.

Now I'm more inclined to go with the 54''... but that is even less transportable.

So, you are with the 60'' and only at 1.4-1.5? All up flying weight?
Sep 16, 2010, 08:38 AM
Crashomatic
wow 1.2kg of gear thats massive

personally i've a 54" Zephyr at around 1.4-1.5kg all up with 2x 2250mah 3S batteries (thats the heaviest part of the plane by far!)

I have 4 fiber sticks, 3 fiber tubes, 2 tiny carbon tubes, a bit of riteweave in the middle of the wing only, rest is laminated.
onboard theres a DragonLink, a DOSD+v2, gps,ultra light current sensor, IMU, barometer, camera (all these parts are as light as i could get them to be, the hd+fpv camera is a mere 20gr for example), and the hacker A30 (it's supposed to be light for the punch, but it's sort of heavy compared to the rest too)

I like it that way but i'm going to make a lighter / smaller one with less equipment for when i want some quick fun in town (the 54 Zephyr needs a lot of space to fly)

ps: i think my Zeph is among the lightest actually for a fpv setup. it probably doesn't track as well as others in the wind. but i like it "light" (its still heavy compared to non-fpv planes of this size) - i don't care if mine goes 20kph slower than the rest it's still going to be 60 instead of 80
Sep 16, 2010, 08:43 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
skyboyken: I have two. I never tried thermaling with the heavier one. my lighter one is 1.55kg
Sep 16, 2010, 09:12 AM
Flying Gear: estimated total weight: 771+g
- Propeller: Folding 10x6 ~15g
- Spinner: Have found a few "cheap" ones but have concerns over balance, structural integrity and the ability to fold (the other way) backwards XXg
- Motor: TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 35-36 1400Kv / 550w 115g
- ESC: TURNIGY Plush 40amp 33g
- Receiver: Futaba R149DP or Corona RP8D1 or Corona RP6D1 (might get one of each for future different projects too) ~15g
- Servos: BMS-661DMG+HS Super Fast Digital Servo (MG) 6.4kg / .08sec / 46.5g 93g
- Bateries: What C rating should I get for a couple of 4S 2000-3000mAh ones? (I have 2x 3S 25C 2200mAh ones already to try at first, with no FPV gear in) ~500g

FPV Gear: estimated total weight: ~250g
- Camera: GoPro HD Hero 150g
- Mic: GoPro HD Hero 0g
- VTx: Sunsky 1.2GHz 400mW 50g
- Antenna: stock, rubber ducky one, maybe upgrade to custom built one (not reached video limit yet) XXg
- AV cable: from gopro to VTx XXg
- VTx cable: power/ground XXg

This is my estimate at the moment, which I suppose can go up. In total it is around 1000g and I expect it to go up. I don't see how you're setups can be that different, specially because as I see it you have more powerful motors and heavier bateries. half of the total 1000g of gear is 500g for the bateries. and I was only going by what CK told me that the frame would be another 1kg...

Quick Reply