Jul 17, 2010, 12:39 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Thread OP
Question

Which Heli should I try next & why?

I have flown Blade CX2's & Esky Lama V4s for 3 or 4 years. A friend recently purchased an Msr and let me put it through its paces. I had a total blast but now my CX, Lama, and palm sized counter rotating clones all seem too slow and docile. I am looking for an exciting next step and would prefer either a Walkera or Esky, since I can get those to sell on the online store. Any one willing to give a suggestion? I would be interested in one for outdoor and maybe a palm sized to fly in the gym too! Thanks in advance!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2010, 12:46 AM
Closest Walkera to the mSR is the CB100. It's also a lot of fun to fly and a good next step up from a coax.

Dan
Jul 17, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'd agree with Dan, a CB100, or CB180/d/q/z, they have a very high fun factor, or im sure somebody will mention the Quark soon if youve got the budget.
Jul 17, 2010, 01:58 AM
don't forget the Solo Pro V2, check out the buy/sell section for a nice one.
Jul 17, 2010, 03:04 AM
If you're going to get a CB180 get the Z with the shaft driven tail. I've heard that a lot of people are having problems with the tail motors on the D/Q models.

Dan
Jul 17, 2010, 09:01 AM
As suggested, the Nine Eagles Solo Pro 2 seems to be a cost effective and popular choice for a tiny indoor flyer.

However, since you're looking at outdoor use, may I suggest taking a look at Walkera's new flybarless range. The V120D01 is fairly small, with a brushless motor and shaft drive tail. Being flybarless, it has less parts to bend/break, and seems to handle light wind fairly well. (according to reports and videos - as I do not own one)
Jul 17, 2010, 10:41 AM
Cranky old fart
I don't have a lot of money to spend on this hobby any more, so I'm very careful to buy products I know and have established track records. I don't take a lot of chances on new stuff that might be questionable. A lot of guys here have bigger budgets, and can afford to take more risks. If you have the money to blow, you can just skip this posting.

I have owned 8 Walkera helis and you just don't buy the first version of any of their new models. It usually takes 3 versions to get the bugs worked out and quality control established and they are often discontinued before that. I'm not saying they will be bad performing helis, but you take your chances. When they were $125, it was worth the risk, in the $300 range, you may want to think again. They almost always need motor and servo upgrades. Skip the CB180. It performs exactly the same as the coaxes you already have. Actually, a modified Lama V4 out performs it and is a lot cheaper.

I'd go with the old reliable HBFP V2. It's dirt cheap, very durable, cheap and easy to fix. It's not easy to learn to fly, but once you master it anything else is not difficult to learn. The SRB Quark was also mentioned. It's still the best flying and best engineered trainer I've seen, until something else proves to be better.
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply