Thread Tools
Sep 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
lol, I have none of the vapor..Im vaporless currently.
here is my old one:

lol
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Thread OP
VERY cool! Now you've GOT to post some cool shots of your Night Vapor when you get it. Can't wait to see them!

Andy
Sep 28, 2010, 10:57 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
Depending how much I spend this weekend at the ALMS race, I should have one end of the month.
Sep 29, 2010, 01:11 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose
I think anybody can fly a Night Vapor. They are really easy to fly. You may also want to check out the HobbyZone Champ RTF. Lots of people are learning to fly with the Champ. It flies more like an airplane than the Night Vapor, and it can be flown outdoors in more wind too.

Hope that helps!

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the recommendation, I picked up a Champ yesterday, maiden flight was ok, high winds and lack of experience resulted in a few crashes, but nothing broken

Will try again later today, but so far I am happy with it, I was able to keep her up in the air, a lot longer that my su-26

Thanks again,

FCA

Where can i find additional batteries at a cheap price, LHS has 150mah for $15.00
Sep 29, 2010, 01:16 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Thread OP
FCA, I saw that in the Champ thread. Glad you're having fun with it.

I haven't tried any of the cheap batteries, but plenty of folks are saying they work good. Check the other Champ threads for info on those.

Andy
Sep 29, 2010, 10:24 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Loved the article and videos - after watching the video, I ordered one up!! Arrives next Wednesday, and I can't wait to fly it! I'm a rotor head, but this should be a wonderful change of pace that I can't wait to try - especially at dusk!!
Sep 29, 2010, 11:15 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Bear
Loved the article and videos - after watching the video, I ordered one up!! Arrives next Wednesday, and I can't wait to fly it! I'm a rotor head, but this should be a wonderful change of pace that I can't wait to try - especially at dusk!!
I figured the videos would have that effect on folks!

Since you're a heli guy, you've got to report on how much you try to turn the Vapor with your left thumb, ok? Believe me, if you're used to using rudder on the left stick, you'll be trying to use it on the left stick when flying the Vapor. But guess what...it won't be doing anything for ya! Ask me how I know!

If you wanna see what I mean, go check out my Champ RTF Review(which just might be your next plane after you get hooked on planes with the Night Vapor). Watch the Champ video and you'll see me attempt to spin it. I jam both sticks in the bottom corners, even though that left stick ain't doing nothing but killing the throttle...just reflexes I guess!

Definitely check back in here when you get your Night Vapor flying and let us know how much fun you're having with it!

Andy
Sep 30, 2010, 01:10 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose
I figured the videos would have that effect on folks!

Since you're a heli guy, you've got to report on how much you try to turn the Vapor with your left thumb, ok? Believe me, if you're used to using rudder on the left stick, you'll be trying to use it on the left stick when flying the Vapor. But guess what...it won't be doing anything for ya! Ask me how I know!

If you wanna see what I mean, go check out my Champ RTF Review(which just might be your next plane after you get hooked on planes with the Night Vapor). Watch the Champ video and you'll see me attempt to spin it. I jam both sticks in the bottom corners, even though that left stick ain't doing nothing but killing the throttle...just reflexes I guess!

Definitely check back in here when you get your Night Vapor flying and let us know how much fun you're having with it!

Andy
Andy - will do! I'll be sure to report back w/ my feedback, but I am sure it will be much of the same, as everyone says this little thing is a blast to fly!!

Funny you mentioned the rudder - I was going to try and "mix" it to my aileron channel, as I do not like flying a 3 channel plane w/ the conventional rudder on the left; I would rather have it on my aileron channel, as I can have a more "fine touch" when flying it. If this is the way it will bind to my DX6i (ordered a BNF version), I will be thrilled, but you may be talking about the RTF version.

Any note on the BNF version for a DX6i? I would honestly rather utilize the rudder/yaw via the aileron channel.

Thanks for the feedback, and again, great article & videos!!
Sep 30, 2010, 01:17 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Thread OP
Your DX6i will bind with the rudder on the right stick (aileron channel). You shouldn't have to do anything special. The first time I flew my BNF Night Vapor was with Dad's DX6i and it took literally 10 seconds to get it going. I didn't even have to reverse any servo channels. You'll probaby want to set up dual rates and expo on each just to make it fly a little smoother. Very easy to do with the DX6i.

Andy
Sep 30, 2010, 01:18 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Thread OP
But I still wanna know how much your left thumb tries to turn the plane!
Sep 30, 2010, 04:55 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose
But I still wanna know how much your left thumb tries to turn the plane!
Andy - many thanks for that bit of info!! I find it odd that it would bind like that automatically, but I'm glad it does!! I find it much smoother to fly w/ ailerons, but w/ a 4 channel aircraft (and heli's), I usually perform coordinated turns, so I am sure I will be using the "ghost rudder" a bit.

Yeah - will be sure to dial in some expo; I'm sure it's different for everyone, but any good starting points in terms of expo?

One other thing; I have some 150mah 4g 1S LiPo's - would it be too heavy for this bird, or not recommended? Extra flight time would be great, but I don't want it to come at the sacrifice of flight performance & handling.

Thanks!!
Last edited by Rare Bear; Sep 30, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Sep 30, 2010, 07:59 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Thread OP
I've flown my Vapors with bigger batteries and they do fine. You'll notice a slight decrease in slow-speed performance (or is that an increase???). Whichever it is, I like the lighter batteries for the ultimate in slowness. Does that help?
Sep 30, 2010, 09:00 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose
I've flown my Vapors with bigger batteries and they do fine. You'll notice a slight decrease in slow-speed performance (or is that an increase???). Whichever it is, I like the lighter batteries for the ultimate in slowness. Does that help?

Slow speed is what I want, so that does help - thanks!!!
Oct 01, 2010, 12:20 PM
Registered User
I had an original Vapor and honestly, it was one of the best "bang for the bucks" I have ever experienced in this hobby! Like others have mentioned, it was "magical" flying the plane outdoors in still air.

Unfortunately...my brick died some time ago... I was hoping to replace it with a Night Vapor, but a clerk at my lhs said that the Night Vapor didn't handle as "light" as the original and couldn't hang on the prop as well/long.

Can anyone with experience with the original Vapor and Night Vapor verify if this is indeed true?

Thanks,
Pete
Oct 01, 2010, 12:25 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Thread OP
Pete, to be quite honest, I really couldn't discern a whole lot of difference in the way the original Vapor and the Night Vapor flew. In the videos, I flew both versions. The "antics" video where we were landing on the table, I was flying the original Vapor. I think they both fly the same. Granted I don't make hanging on the prop a regular occurance and didn't do a side-by-side comparison of that specific maneuver. I have switched back and forth between the two planes and never found myself saying "Man, this thing just won't fly like the other one."

My advice is to stick with the stock 70mAh battery to keep the weight at a minimum. While the Night Vapor is listed at 16g (vs 15g for the original Vapor), I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference. Besides, if you wanna hang on the prop all the time, the Vapors are the wrong plane for that.

Does that help?

Andy


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ParkZone P-51 Mustang Brushless Powered RTF and BNF Versions Review Michael Heer Electric Warbirds 118 Mar 27, 2017 02:45 PM
For Sale Parkzone Ember II RTF & Parkzone Vapor RTF lvs13 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 11, 2010 11:47 AM
Article ParkZone Etomic Vapor RTF and BNF Review Bajora Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 72 Aug 10, 2009 01:59 PM
Discussion parkzone vapor $100 rtf and $70 bnf futabafreak Hot Online Deals 6 Jul 10, 2009 01:34 PM