Jul 16, 2010, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Albuquerque Soaring Association F5J World Challange

The organizers of this year's F5J soaring contest have asked me to post this announcement. This year's contest will utlize altitude limiters with a 200 meter or 30 second cut-off. The contest will be held on September 11th and 12th with an open field on Friday the 10th. The signup form and rules are attached as separate files and are on our web site http://www.soarabq.org/home.shtml. The link to on-line sign-up is about half way down the page. You can also sign up via mail. I will try to keep a list of pilots on this list so you can see who else is coming. The rules define the two classes that will be flown and the particulars of how we will run the contest.

Bruce T.
Last edited by Bruce T.; Jul 28, 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added link to on-line sign-up
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thread OP

Reserved

Pilot's List
Pilot...............Limited Class......Unlimited Class...Preferred CH...Backup CH
Dan Tandberg.........X.......................X........ .............35.............36
Phillip Brister...........X.......................X....... ..............11.............37
David Register.........X.......................X........ .............2.4
Richard Shagam.......X.................................... ..........23............20
Rocky Stone...........X................................. .............2.4
Dennis Clingan.........X.......................X......... ............2.4
Bruce Twining..........X.......................X........ .............2.4
Dale Nutter......................................X..... ................2.4
Buzz Averill.............X.......................X..... .................33...........2.4
Iain Glithero............X.......................X..... ................2.4
Richard Dick............X................................. ..............51............51
Charlie Zaffery........X.................................. ............2.4
Jim Correll.......................................X... ...................42
Dave Shoemaker..............................X.......... ............43............34
John Schaaf...........X................................ ..............2.4
Aradhana Khalsa......X......................X.............. .........15...........18
Bill McLean.............X......................X....... ...............2.4
Last edited by Bruce T.; Sep 08, 2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added Pilot's List
Jul 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
Thread OP

Reserved

Practical Notes on our Altitude Limited F5J Contest

In preparing for this contest our club and individual members purchased a batch of altimeters with FXJ switches. As of now the organizers/CD are planning on having these altimeters in a “coffee can” before the start of each prep time. You will pick one out and stick it in your sailplane before your flight, then turn it in with your scorecard at the end of your flight. This should average out any possible small differences in the devices over the several contest rounds. The settings for all altimeters will be checked and set for 200 meters and 30 seconds at the start of each day.

The altimeter/switch is about 1 ½” long, ¾” wide and ¼” thick. It has one lead and one plug on the unit. It is inserted in the circuit between the speed controller and receiver. In order to make the installation quick, it would good to have an extension in your plane(s) from the receiver to wherever you will place the switch so you can install it without removing the wing, etc. Since the unit contains sensitive electronics, it would also be good to keep it away from the speed controller, especially those with a switching BEC.

Bruce T.
Last edited by Bruce T.; Jul 29, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Jul 16, 2010, 02:05 PM
ASK
ASK
May models with a smaller than 2.3 meter wingspan be admitted into Unlimited Class?
Jul 16, 2010, 02:08 PM
ASK
ASK
How do pilots obtain one or more altitude limiters?
Jul 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASK
May models with a smaller than 2.3 meter wingspan be admitted into Unlimited Class?
I think the answer is yes. I'll check with the CD.

Bruce T.
Jul 16, 2010, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASK
How do pilots obtain one or more altitude limiters?
The club has 5 or 6 that can be loaned out. I am not sure we will be able to provide more than one per pilot. Details of the limiter logistics will be covered a bit later.

Bruce T.
Jul 16, 2010, 02:25 PM
ASK
ASK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce T.
The club has 5 or 6 that can be loaned out. I am not sure we will be able to provide more than one per pilot. Details of the limiter logistics will be covered a bit later.

Bruce T.
Thanks, that's what I remembered, and it's good for those who might have difficulty budgeting for a device.

I have one limiter from the original buy ASA did. Now I'm working on new airplanes, and am considering having a dedicated device in each airplane.
Jul 16, 2010, 05:26 PM
Silent Majority
A rule /timing question:
If I launch at the start of the 30 second climb window and climb to 200M in 20 seconds does my 10 minute flight time start at the end of the 30 second climb window? Or did it start 10 seconds earlier when my motor shut off?
Jul 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
ASK
ASK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
A rule /timing question:
If I launch at the start of the 30 second climb window and climb to 200M in 20 seconds does my 10 minute flight time start at the end of the 30 second climb window? Or did it start 10 seconds earlier when my motor shut off?
The 10 minute flight window starts at the end of the 30 second climb window. For everyone, scoring begins and ends with the flight window, or ends when the glider comes to a complete stop.

To achieve landing points and avoid a 30 point penalty, land within the flight window and within 8 meters of the target. In 1 meter increments, closer to the target gets more landing points, 25 to 60 points maximum.

A countdown over speakers tells all when to launch, turn off motors, and land within the window time.

If you know your glider reaches 200 meters in 20 seconds, you can choose to begin climbing 10 seconds into the climb window. Motors must be turned off at the end of the climb window.
Last edited by ASK; Jul 16, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Jul 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
I'll be there (will sign up on the web site when it's open)

Richard
Jul 17, 2010, 06:50 PM
ASK
ASK
xxxx
Last edited by ASK; Jul 23, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Jul 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
Soaring Circuits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce T.

Bruce T.
Bruce,

I'd be willing to help out with some loaner CAM limiters if it would help your situation. Availability between now and the NATs is tight, but after the NATs it should be no problem.

Thanks,
Randy
Jul 18, 2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
A rule /timing question:
Good question.
Everyones flight times start at the end of the 30 second climb window. If this is not clear enough in the rules document, let me know how I should change it. Thank you.
Jul 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
I plan on being there and flying both Limited and Unlimited.

Dennis

Quick Reply