Apr 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp
Yes Battery Eliminator Circuit.
They are incorporated in most smaller ESCs.
Some are simple resistance which makes a lot of heat and is wasteful.
Some, as I understand it , work more like the speed control.
The speed control is actually binary.
It just turns on and off at a very rapid rate to achieve the speed you are looking for.
You can get independent BECs.
No real reason here.
The incorporated ones seem to be getting bigger by popular demand.
Folks add all kinds of things that draw, like lights and extra servos for many things.
Yes even at idle digital servos are continually checking their position and hunting / fighting to stay were they were last told , there goes juice.
Hot cat does seem better than Tame cat, but there are too many changes to say just how much the servos contribute.
The ESC on both helped.
A 30A should really be enough to replace the little 18A.
But look for that switching BEC! Chris
Oh sorry. No need for extra batteries!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2013, 02:17 PM
Something dangerous to do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4fCyrus
Hi,

I was wondering how do you take off the canopy without ruining the paint on the canopy.
The magnets are so strong that it takes quite a bit of force on the foam to take it off.
I saw some ppl pulling a tape on it.
Has anyone a better idea?

Thanks
Cyrus
I just slide mine sideways as I pull up on it.
Apr 12, 2013, 02:20 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
Quote:
They are power hungry for sure.
In every other respect the are generally better.
Helicopters would be even more of a challenge with out them.
I would not go so far as to say they are for big planes.
Anolog units can be just as power full.
Digitals fight to hold the position you put it in much harder.
3D planes with big surfaces could benefit.
My pefered servo for my most high performance planes (not Wildcat)
Is the anolog HS65mg. It is reliable and takes a beating.
Hotcat got digital EXI mg units destined for a 450 heli.
In a 450 they are marginal on centering
NOT good in a heli!
In Wildcat they are on the heavy side (heavier than the HS65mg).
I could not say if they are overkill or not.
They have proved durable and are handling the spoiler-on programing well.
The direct fit and under $10.00 price help.
I would give the Futaba 3114 (think I got the # correct) a go. At around $13.00 they look better than the HS55, which I would consider a minimum for Wildcat.
I see no difference in flight times over the digitals.
I am running a power hungry Thunderbird 54, and come down before any chance of Spektrum brown out. Chris
I like HS65mg too. I am also a fan of Dymond sevos. Cheap and reliable. I think made in Amerca. I like the D-90 analogs for $8.95 and D-47 are unbelievable in strength for size. The gear on the D-90 are plastic, but you should see the size of the gear.
Latest blog entry: Dynam B-26 motor do over.
Apr 12, 2013, 09:24 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Has any one out there tried to put one of the 850 mAh 4 cell batteries that you use in the funfighters in one of these wildcats?
Apr 13, 2013, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1234
I just slide mine sideways as I pull up on it.
Same same. I rock it side to side some.
Apr 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
No work tomorrow, no wind tomorrow,no rain tomorrow, no honey do list tomorrow, 5 batteries charged and ready to go!!!!!! Should be a great day! :-)
Apr 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy
No work tomorrow, no wind tomorrow,no rain tomorrow, no honey do list tomorrow, 5 batteries charged and ready to go!!!!!! Should be a great day! :-)
I hope you get to put her in the air....put four more batteries through mine yesterday evening. First time in a few weeks due to winds....it was pure magic !
Apr 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
THE KOZ

Hey wamp

I will be running the same setup as your hotcat with the 54 esc, power10, 9x7.5 apc prop. What battery do you fly on and how long? I plan on 4 minute flights 3/4 to wot the whole time mixed in with some acrobatics flying with a 2200 45c 3s. have you tried a 4s on your setup? If so what were your times and what size batt did you use? On the stock setup my flight times were usually around 6 to 7 minutes wot with the 2200 30c 3s and a 36 amp cc thunderbird, so i am figuring the power 10 should cut me out of about 2 to 3 minutes of flight time AND FYI. The CC 54 thunderbird esc does have a built in 3amp bec. like you I do have digital servo's also and never had a power prob......

Quote:
Same same. I rock it side to side some.
Last edited by itskoz; Apr 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Apr 14, 2013, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itskoz
I will be running the same setup as your hotcat with the 54 esc, power10, 9x7.5 apc prop. What battery do you fly on and how long? I plan on 4 minute flights 3/4 to wot the whole time mixed in with some acrobatics flying with a 2200 45c 3s. have you tried a 4s on your setup? If so what were your times and what size batt did you use? On the stock setup my flight times were usually around 6 to 7 minutes wot with the 2200 30c 3s and a 36 amp cc thunderbird, so i am figuring the power 10 should cut me out of about 2 to 3 minutes of flight time AND FYI. The CC 54 thunderbird esc does have a built in 3amp bec. like you I do have digital servo's also and never had a power prob......
Hey, I got the idea of a power ten here in this thread.
I was running an older Turnigy 3536.
The CC Thunderbird was a bargain and feels very smooth.
An Ice lite 50 would be nice.
I have not felt the need for a 4 cell.
I like Wildcat on the lighter side, so mainly use 1300mAh 40C
EZ flights from Heads Up RC.
Prop choice changed flight times as much as any thing.
An APC 10X7E works for me.
The 11X5.5E shortened flight time and kept me worried belly landing.
Generally Wildcat gets Warbird maneuvers, nothing too crazy.
Most flights get at least some vertical, because I love doing tail slides.
That being said, I use a lot of throttle management.
Some times a WOT fly by rocks, but I much prefer slow passes.
Thing is coming from helicopters and a hood mentor there timers are
just a guide.
With the DX8 it comes on automaticly.
Wildcat is set for 4.5 min. This has left room for an extra landing pass or two.

Some how, like with helies, I can feel when it takes more T to stay up.
In a hover it is very noticeable. The stick just keeps needing more.
I formed a habit of checking the battery when disconnecting .
With out the timer 3.96 remaining is very often it.
I know for sure up there when it drops to 3.84.
Safe to say 5 min flight times. Hope this helps. Chris
Apr 14, 2013, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen
I like HS65mg too. I am also a fan of Dymond sevos. Cheap and reliable. I think made in Amerca. I like the D-90 analogs for $8.95 and D-47 are unbelievable in strength for size. The gear on the D-90 are plastic, but you should see the size of the gear.
Thanks, HS65s break the bank!
A project may hit the bench this summer.
Here and now I have four batteries charged (sitting a week)
waiting for decent weather and time to fly.
Fields are mud holes, which puts parking way off.
Not for fear of mud on the tires, that used to be fun, but we will wear out our welcome if the field gets wrecked.
Snow only in shady, drifted in places now! Chris
Apr 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Well I got to put about 5 batteries threw her today, boy do I like this one!! Just a great smooth easy going plane. Was able to do the launches on my own. I gave it a toss and would just watch it steadily climb with no stick input!! That was nice, I was so worried about getting my hands back to the sticks in time. Batteries are charging and hopefully I can get a few more flights in today!!! GREAT PLANE
Apr 16, 2013, 12:58 PM
Front going through today, could get rain and storms. What a surprise, no wind this afternoon. Took the Wildcat for a flight. What a smooth flyer. Once in the air can not tell the soda bottle cowl from the cowl that came with the plane. Now I am do longer damaging the cowl but going to have to keep a supply of three blade props. I drifted too far on landing and hit on the front, going to have to learn to land on the skid so I do not break props.
Apr 18, 2013, 02:51 AM
I review RC Products
I put a few flights together against a really nice backdrop. I hope it makes you guys want to go out and fly yours!

Parkzone F4F Wildcat in Wind with Bonus Take-Offs and Landings (8 min 28 sec)
Apr 18, 2013, 03:04 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Came across this site... http://www.warbirddepot.com/aircraft..._f4f-lewis.asp Fantastic resource for building, finishing and detailing your war bird.

It has an extensive collection of high quality photographs of all our favorite war birds... including the Wildcat

Hopefully the PZ Wildcat V2 will look just like this 3 blade prop,Flaps, functioning landing gear, lights, etc... with 1100mm wingspan

Cockpit...

The Twin 50's
Apr 18, 2013, 03:18 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
I hope it makes you guys want to go out and fly yours!
I would love to fly mine!!! Would you mind water/sleet/snow proofing my Wildcat for me... holding the umbrella over me while I fly... snow still on the ground and grass is of course dead, so you would also need to bring me a nice 5ft x 15ft patch of sod for me to land on (maybe a bit larger patch, would be my 1st flight since Oct. or Nov. so probably a bit rusty on precision landings )... oh, and bring a parka as it is windy as hell and still in the 20s and 30s LET'S GO FLY!!!

Quick Reply