Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jun 20, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered User
yellerchief's Avatar
what kind of paint are you guys using on the wildcat, this is my first foam plane and dont want to mess it up. also went with a 2200 mah batt. I added 1/4 ounce at the tail wheel , havent had a chance to fly her yet, a little worried about hand launch and fly, never had a plane that didnt roll down the runway,...thanks
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellerchief
what kind of paint are you guys using on the wildcat, this is my first foam plane and dont want to mess it up. also went with a 2200 mah batt. I added 1/4 ounce at the tail wheel , havent had a chance to fly her yet, a little worried about hand launch and fly, never had a plane that didnt roll down the runway,...thanks
Its actually quite easy. Just make sure all your trims are completely level, except for a tad up elevator hold it before the tail, full throttle, and throw it HARD at a 45 degree angle.
Jun 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
Registered User
jimmyzrx's Avatar
i was told to throw hard, and i threw it like a football it spiralled almost carshed it, so mind how you throw it, mine is all stock and i can just toss it into the wind at full throttle
Jun 20, 2012, 10:25 PM
Registered User
I've found this lil bird to be very easy to hand launch. No football throw needed. I throttle up to about 2/3 - 3/4 and gently toss her forward at about a 40-45 degree angle. The motor quickly takes over and it feels like the plane is gently flying out of my hand. Since she's trimmed out now, she just keeps her heading and goes for the sky.

NOTE: Using the TP 1350 with 25C/50C bursts gives plenty of power and can safely be done w/o upgrading the ESC, as long as I don't firewall the throttle.
Jun 20, 2012, 10:48 PM
H2oSmokey
dainw's Avatar
ZOOMING ELIMINATED . . . FIXED!
I had tried the throttle down elevator mix, weight in the nose, weight moved aft, single washer under motor mount top two screws, and still zoomed. So . . put another washer (two each aprox 1.8mm total) to give more down and right thrust. Removed weight and put battery back where designed (full forward) SUCCESS !! Very happy ride now! No zoom on throttle up, no zoom coming out of loops. Very flat and rides like on rails!!
Jun 21, 2012, 12:41 AM
Builds better than he flies
Took my tubby out for a spin yesterday and got to fly two LiPos before a thunderstorm rolled in.

Took a dinglet to my starboard wing, so glued the broken peice back into place and taped the wingtips (as protection against further "dumb thumb" incidents).

When I removed the canopy to disconnect the battery, the magnet seat in the main fuselage just came right out

Has this happened to anybody else? I got it back home into the workshop and reglued it, but this was annoying. Had it happened after my first flight that would have called time on my fun (which would not have been good).

She stills tends to port a little even though I am 99.9% certain that laterally she is perfectly well balanced and the ailerons are also even, might have to check and re-check the rudder alignment...

I've also noticed that the wing saddless have given a little and so the wings are a little "loose". I'm not really keen on gluing them into place (would make a mess of the fuselage if I ever needed to take them back out to replace them or work on them). I'm considering sinking a rawl plug with epoxy into the wing and then bolting through from the fuselage to keep them steady. Any comments/words of warning before I do this?
Jun 21, 2012, 01:38 AM
You can't take the sky from me
copperbricks's Avatar
A lot of us just put in shims, and those keep the wings tIght.
Btw, has anyone broken 100mph with their cat? Im trying to get there. And also, has anyone used an 8 inch prop with a faster motor?
Jun 21, 2012, 03:20 AM
who put that tree there
dazza44's Avatar
took my wildcat out yesterday 1/4 inch foam block 2200mah 3 cell lipo,
perfectly balanced with my added wheels..
man this thing is so easy to fly inverted..
and finished with greased landing..
Jun 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
Love Flying History
mustangloyd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock
Took my tubby out for a spin yesterday and got to fly two LiPos before a thunderstorm rolled in.

Took a dinglet to my starboard wing, so glued the broken peice back into place and taped the wingtips (as protection against further "dumb thumb" incidents).

When I removed the canopy to disconnect the battery, the magnet seat in the main fuselage just came right out

Has this happened to anybody else? I got it back home into the workshop and reglued it, but this was annoying. Had it happened after my first flight that would have called time on my fun (which would not have been good).

She stills tends to port a little even though I am 99.9% certain that laterally she is perfectly well balanced and the ailerons are also even, might have to check and re-check the rudder alignment...

I've also noticed that the wing saddless have given a little and so the wings are a little "loose". I'm not really keen on gluing them into place (would make a mess of the fuselage if I ever needed to take them back out to replace them or work on them). I'm considering sinking a rawl plug with epoxy into the wing and then bolting through from the fuselage to keep them steady. Any comments/words of warning before I do this?
Codejock,
last year I flew into a football goal post and split my right wing in two. I reglued it back together using 5 min. Epoxy and it flys fine ,but I lost my roll rate it's alot slower and akward. I can live with it ,but I can always just get new wings .

Loyd
Jun 21, 2012, 04:55 AM
Registered User
Wretcho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo
It took a 5/8 inch spacer on my 2200 2S to get it right.
I'm from metric land, to be honest I couldn't tell you what 1/4 of an inch is :P
Jun 21, 2012, 05:20 AM
Registered User
Russell_C's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho
I'm from metric land, to be honest I couldn't tell you what 1/4 of an inch is :P
You can always Google it. Type in "5/8 inches to cm" and it will convert it for you. It's fairly easy and I use it for those metric only measurements that are sometimes used.

Hope this helps.
Jun 21, 2012, 06:40 AM
lownslow
windrnone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellerchief
what kind of paint are you guys using on the wildcat, this is my first foam plane and dont want to mess it up. also went with a 2200 mah batt. I added 1/4 ounce at the tail wheel , havent had a chance to fly her yet, a little worried about hand launch and fly, never had a plane that didnt roll down the runway,...thanks
Water soluble paint should work, I always test it first on foam.....spray cans bubble the foam, some have had success w Kryon-plastic spray cans, but very light coats.

I view the launch as a dart toss, keep your eyes on the horizon and toss at about a 15-25 degrees up
Jun 21, 2012, 07:17 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16
Its actually quite easy. Just make sure all your trims are completely level, except for a tad up elevator hold it before the tail, full throttle, and throw it HARD at a 45 degree angle.
More than likely if try to throw this plane like a fifty yard pass you won't have a nice level takeoff. Just throttle her up and toss her let motor take over and go. Resist the urge to give full up elevator at first to get some wind over the wings. She is REAL easy to launch, landing are pretty good just stock up on some cowls now! If you buy a spare Murphy's law states that you won't ever need it! That is my thinking at least.
Jun 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
Registered User
yellerchief's Avatar
Appreciate the response guys now just need time off from work to get her in the air, also will test some paint for the wingtips , looking forward to the maiden flight
Jun 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
Flying is Freedom
Sky_Captain's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzrx
i was told to throw hard, and i threw it like a football it spiralled almost carshed it, so mind how you throw it, mine is all stock and i can just toss it into the wind at full throttle
Who ever said that should be scolded
Check out how easy my toss is on my maiden.
PZ Wildcat Maiden.wmv (5 min 41 sec)


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone F4F Wildcat WOW!!!! ilovejets1 Parkflyers 40 Dec 16, 2015 06:47 PM
Build Log Dumas 17.5" F4F Wildcat LoneRanger Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 53 Jul 07, 2010 09:34 AM
Wanted TRADE MY NEW EFLITE P47 your ALFA F4F WILDCAT! BRUTUS2238 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 10, 2010 09:31 AM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 03:00 PM
Discussion Scratchbuilt F4F Wildcat kylewoody Parkflyers 2 Sep 01, 2009 08:18 PM