New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by Kiesling
Discussion

2011 US F3B team selection finals

Hi All,

I am please to announce that the Pismo Beach Soaring Society has been selected to host the 2011 F3B team selection finals.

Here are some of the details

Site: California Valley Motel, California Valley, CA (12900 Soda Lake Rd, Santa Margarita, CA 93453)

Dates and Schedule: November 5th – 8th, 2010. November 5th will be a practice day with flying possible during daylight hours. Equipment check-in and winch testing will occur the afternoon of the 5th. The Pilot’s Meeting will be held the evening of the 5th at the Cal Valley Motel. The 6th – 8th represent the contest days with flying scheduled from 0830 to 1630 each day. The goal of the organizers is to complete six full rounds over the three contest days.

The full proposal is attached.

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by djklein21
Challenge is rewarding
Cal Valley Baby.

Thomas, I hope that course is surveyed, and we all have our FAI cards, because a World Record will be set there one day.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by RetoF3X
F3B and F3K
Who wants to go to China anyway?

See you guys in November, can't wait!

Reto
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:35 PM
yyz
Find More Posts by yyz
yyz
Thank you Thomas Akers for stepping up and getting this going!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by tewatson
Team JR Air
Excellent! Looking forward to it.

Tom
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by jgs99v
Guys - OK if a rookie wishes to participate are there any limiations or expectations?
As in the case of the F3K you had to qualify via an AMA sanctioned event with X level of participants.
Apologize for being unfamiliar with the guidelines, if posted elsewhere please let me know.
I'd like to get a contengent of NorCal guys involved, posted an interest query, but like your feedback.

jack ~
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:14 PM
Challenge is rewarding
No problem Jack. It is an open contest. You will need valid AMA, and sign up through the AMA office. There are 2 forms to fill out and some fees to pay to enter. The entry forms must be post marked no later than 30 days before the event.

I am sure someone will post PDFs to this thread.

This will be a little more formal than the Cal Valley contest you entered last year. It will have only one open class of pilots, and you will have to locate a team with gear to participate with. Think of it like Cross Crountry. Wrangle up some interest, and come on down.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by jgs99v
So equipment wise -
Do we bring our own - spec batteries or will the organizers supply a specfic type?
DB winch should have no problem passing - but what are the guidelines and method etc...
Anyone got mono they don't need
Regarding the FAI license - I've kept mine up to date, but would this be compulsory or required?

Thanks guys!!!!
Last edited by jgs99v; Jul 15, 2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:34 PM
Jack,

There is no qualification process, so as long as you are an AMA member and capable of flying an F3B model you are allowed to enter.

What is typically expected is for you to bring your own legal launch equipment, including batteries and line. If you don't have your own, you are expected to arrange to borrow some. This equipment will not be provided by the contest organizers.

Ideally you will have a team of three guys to work with. The contest will have team protection for three pilots so you don't have to fly against those guys in distance and duration. While the other teams will likely be willing to help when they can, don't count on them being available. Other than that you just have to be ready to go when you're called to fly.

I know some of this may sound a little intimidating to some, but it really isn't that bad. As long as you plan ahead and ask questions before the event you will be prepared and capable of competing.

My advice is to get a team together and commit to going. Then go out and practice the tasks. There is still quite a bit of time between now and the TS to get ready. We would love to have you and anyone else interested to come and participate. Even though it is a serious contest, it will be a lot of fun!

Tom
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:38 PM
Challenge is rewarding
Bring your own. I am not positive that the organizers will be providing battery rentals or not. Thomas Akers will have to answer that question. All equipment will have to be legal. all of the specs and procedures are outlined in the FAI F3B rules.

http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/documents/sc4

Basically, you tie a strap to the winch drum to lock it down, then turn it on. While the winch is stalled you measure voltage and amperage and compute the total resistance of the system. The contest will supply the testing equipment, just make sure you have a way to adjust your resistance. The easiest way to do so is with a resister bar on the battery.

http://www.oberflugmodellbau.de/10341/11217.html
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:41 PM
FAI stamp is not required for the TS.

There will be at least one winch tester available before the contest to check the winches. If your winch has an adjustable resistor it is pretty straight forward to get it to pass.

As far as batteries go, I don't think Thomas is planning on supplying batteries. He may make some arrangements for the out of town guys, but I don't know. For guys driving, I would say plan on bringing your own legal batteries.

Tom
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Cal Val! Sweet!

Question: how many winches can one 3 man team have? And, can we run them in 2 directions so we can avoid a downwind launch?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by Avaldes
The standard rule on winch slots is that you have 2 meters to put as many as you want. However I can't remember that being reinforced at a TS in a LONG time.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by target
Detail Freak
I'm stoked for you guys having the team selects, but am a little disappointed that there won't be any F3B "sport flying" that same time of year.

I don't wish to "form a team" and I know that it's not fair for me to ask for any help from the guys trying to make the team (I just will not do that, I know how serious this is for the top 6 or 7 guys).

Anyway, if what's happened so far for me at work is any indication, I'll likely be pissed off and stuck offshore somewhere trying to get internet reception just to read about it!

Best of luck to all the contestants!

Kind Regards,
Target
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by ClayH
Quote:
Anyway, if what's happened so far for me at work is any indication, I'll likely be pissed off and stuck offshore somewhere trying to get internet reception just to read about it!
Hey Capt., be thankful for a busy workload in these turbulent times.

Clay