Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 31, 2010, 05:39 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_kandylakis
Interesting idea, this "list" thing...

A little out of the "rules" regarding quantity, but since the focus is not in the mistery but in the modelling projects, it is well within the intented spirit of suitable modelling subjects...

Am not at home at present, so I do not have all my pics. Here is something different, in the sense that it was in my to-build-obscure-planes list, but it got striken out...

Reason ? I built it In peanut scale, but an interesting one for RC electric as well... If one is into pioneer aircraft.

Don't you just love those huge wheels?

There is still a need for identification though, so I am not giving it away yet...

George

P.S. #2 by Deuce, Weick A-1, also considered at some point in time...
Sort of correct on #2... Weick W-1A, but close enough, as I think you "recognized the face, but remembered the name as 'Kris' instead of 'Chris'"

I do like the pioneer aircraft, the Demoiselle and the Antoinette among my favorites, but... so many wires!

James

P.S. Indeed, I will restrain my self to the single item per post! Got carried away with the "list" thing...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2010, 06:51 PM
free flight or micro RC ???
Forgot to thank Dr G, Bulent, jhspring and Pat for their input in the power transmission issue for the ... oops hydroplane.

Definetely worth looking into, also as a possibility for the Lawrence Lewis on the first post, with a similar engine layout...

George
Jul 31, 2010, 07:25 PM
255 is a beauty George. Tell us about the plane and the model. I have a partially constructed Peter Rake design (Wight Monoplane? I think) and 255 gives me a bit an inspiration to finish it.
Jul 31, 2010, 07:31 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
George,
A neat airplane.

Those big wheels would make it a great park flyer, for just about any park.

Dave
Jul 31, 2010, 07:38 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Sorry if I got a bit off track. I got enthusiastic about the list question and forgot the rules.
Jul 31, 2010, 08:16 PM
Dave, the rules are mainly guidelines, in an attempt to ensure we do not get sidetracked. Breaking one at some point is unavoidable, as long as it doesn't become a habit

If the spirit were positive by all, I am sure we wouldn't need any rules. Fun comes without rules, anyway...

As for the monoplane, well, I do not want to give the name away, just yet

It is a design from 1912, with military purpose in mind, in order to operate from rough fields... Needless to say, it wasn't successful enough and remained a one-off.

For those who might be in hurry to identify it, go to Mike Stuart's page http://www.ffscale.co.uk/

and check one of the relatively recent BMFA indoor scale Nationals reports. That will give away the name... After some nice searching through beautiful models...

The model is nothing spectacular, a simple peanut model... Main features that set it apart are the wheels and the triangular in section and rather short fuselage...
It made some good short flights at that event. But you cannot compare rubber power to electric... A 17 seconds flight is a relative success... (Some of my models didn't even manage that...)

George
Jul 31, 2010, 08:31 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
George, the wheels, by the way, are they Hungerford by any chance? I recall a peanut design, published in MB, by Fulton Hungerford that used (surprise!) his own silk spoked wheels. Don't recall the model, but it was also a pioneer era, and would also make a nice e-power RC if enlarged.

I'll see if I can find that issue, as the craft may well fit the "out of the rut" category.

James
Jul 31, 2010, 10:11 PM

Subjects less modelled

Here are two subjects that I have on my "someday" list. Niether are really mystery subjects but by the same token there shouldn't be a problem working
out which model it is on the flight line.
For one I have the APS F/F plan (49" span) and lots of detail photos and as for the other I have never even heard of one being modelled so when I get round to doing a multi it's top of the list, I have the three views and a circular fuselage should make not too difficult.
Aug 01, 2010, 01:22 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Here are two subjects that I have on my "someday" list. Niether are really mystery subjects but by the same token there shouldn't be a problem working
out which model it is on the flight line.
For one I have the APS F/F plan (49" span) and lots of detail photos and as for the other I have never even heard of one being modelled so when I get round to doing a multi it's top of the list, I have the three views and a circular fuselage should make not too difficult.
I always liked the Boeing YL-15 Scout...I heard some rumor about a large ARF one at one of the big model shows a little while back....Somewhere I have the Air Progress mag with the article on it.

The Avro 688 Tudor would make a nice looking model and sure counts as seldom modeled. It has the interesting oddity of being one of the few semi-modern, non-amateur aircraft that killed their designer. Roy Chadwick was killed in a takeoff accident in a Tudor 2.....he was observing the flight from the flight deck without a seatbelt and the aircraft had the ailerons rigged backwards during some maintainence work before the flight...ouch.
Latest blog entry: Event planning for 2018
Aug 01, 2010, 02:43 AM
Sorry Thomas, thats not a Tudor, in fact nor is it Avro
Aug 01, 2010, 04:06 AM
Suspended Account
Top 5 Non-German Obscure:

1) Saab A.36 nuclear bomber minus Bofors Sauron Swedish free-fall nuke:

2) Barnes Wallis/Vickers Swallow V-Bomber:

3) Vought SLAM/Project Pluto/Flying Crowbar unmanned nuclear doomsday craft:

4) Fokker-Republic D.24 Alliance:

5) Avro 730:

Rob
Aug 01, 2010, 04:36 AM
Suspended Account
Top 10 Obscure German (too many to pick from, but here are some varying ideas):

1) Dowa 81/Pfeil 5 escape aircraft:

2) Gruse BO-15/1 Volksflugzeug:

3) Zippermayr Pfeil:

4) Zeppelin-Staaken E.4/20:

5) Skoda-Kauba Hyperschall Atomflugzeug:

6) MBB Lampyridae stealth aircraft:

7) Horten Parabola:

8) DFW R.I bomber:

9) Schmid SC-28 Wolke ornithopter:

10) DFW T28 FLOH:

Aug 01, 2010, 04:57 AM
Suspended Account
Top 3 Austro-Hungarian:

1) Zaparka fighter:

2) Ufag C.I:

3) Lloyd FJ 40.05:

Aug 01, 2010, 05:17 AM
Last edited by g_kandylakis; Aug 02, 2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: no longer necessary...
Aug 01, 2010, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
George, the wheels, by the way, are they Hungerford by any chance?
No, they could be, but the size is very special... not to mention that they are impossible to find... These (and others) I made them myself.

George

Quick Reply