Enterprise-A - 1:300 Scale =) - Kit and plans now available! - Page 10 - RC Groups
Oct 09, 2014, 02:45 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
I still think Jason's Movie Prop quality Enterprise is just awesome. He recently sold it!

I asked him what his next project would be but he didn't say. I think it will have to be a Klingon D7 or something
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2014, 05:56 PM
DFS#000178
I remember there was a cafe in Barstow CA (My home town) across Main Street from McDonalds. It was a movie-themed cafe and they had one of the very large TOS studio models hanging from the ceiling in the entry way. It was enormous.

I have no idea where that went. The cafe closed down and is now a Starbucks.
Dec 27, 2016, 02:05 AM

Elevons for the Enterprise A?

I know this thread is a couple of years old since a post but....I just purchased the Enterprise A.

Has anyone eliminated the elevator in the engineering hull and used two servos for the saucer section and use a "flying wing" configuration? I think if tail weight is bad then eliminate the 'rear' servo and go with the saucer controls as Elevons.

Anyone do this with the Enterprise A? Or has it been tried and rejected?

Thanks,

Steve
Last edited by Stevedots; Dec 27, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
Jan 02, 2017, 09:41 PM
Watt Waster
From what I have seen before it is common to use the rear third of the saucer as elevens. Putting a servo beyond the saucer section tends to make the model tail heavy, even with a large enough battery in the nose. That also has a lot to do with why few put a motor in the rear of the saucer, or beyond. In my blog I should still have some pictures of some Enterprise inspired foam gliders I made for the kids to play with and teach myself as much as possible about the CG of the design options. I learned it was easier to make a long crew section, rather than a round one and get the CG right.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Jan 03, 2017, 10:35 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
My original had a small elevator and there was not enough pitch control. My first flight was quite scary when it almost didn't pull out of a shallow dive!!

Elevons only work when they are the furthest back control surface. With the long engine nacelles, control surfaces on the saucer will not work for pitch control.

I spent a lot of time working on these designs and tried a lot of different things. I think I have the best solution for it but I don't know. I haven't seen anything else that works as well, or looks as good.