Jul 11, 2010, 03:00 PM
WAPilot
Thread OP
Discussion

Hangar 9 12v HD Starter / Starter Source

As described in the subject, I went and bought a Hangar 9, 12v PowerPro HD Starter, and it's associated, attachable, Starter Source. The Starter Source comes with a 12v 1.3Ah gel cell, to power the Starter.

After charging it overnight, the battery was at 13.5 volts. The wallcharger showed the charge cycle was completed.

However, when I put it all together and tried to turn over my Alpha's .40 motor it couldn't turn the prop over even a single revolution. It seems to be way under powered.

Am starting to realize that 1.3Ah might be pretty weak, but why would Hangar 9 pair this together if their Starter combo can't even turn over their Trainer's engine?

Any thoughts? Should I get a different Starter combo?

My desire is to get away from carrying a motorcycle/lawn tractor battery. Everything else I have (remote glow plug igniter, manual fuel pump, etc.) has been purchased with this in mind.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2010, 08:27 AM
WAPilot
Thread OP
Bump
Jul 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
As described in the subject, I went and bought a Hangar 9, 12v PowerPro HD Starter, and it's associated, attachable, Starter Source. The Starter Source comes with a 12v 1.3Ah gel cell, to power the Starter.

After charging it overnight, the battery was at 13.5 volts. The wallcharger showed the charge cycle was completed.

However, when I put it all together and tried to turn over my Alpha's .40 motor it couldn't turn the prop over even a single revolution. It seems to be way under powered.

Am starting to realize that 1.3Ah might be pretty weak, but why would Hangar 9 pair this together if their Starter combo can't even turn over their Trainer's engine?

Any thoughts? Should I get a different Starter combo?

My desire is to get away from carrying a motorcycle/lawn tractor battery. Everything else I have (remote glow plug igniter, manual fuel pump, etc.) has been purchased with this in mind.

Try starting the motor with the starter by first turning the prop backwards by hand to the point of compression to give the starter and engine a bit of a running start before it hits compression. The inertia will help the starter get the engine past the first compression stroke.

I use a similar setup but the starter is powered with 12 C sized NiCd cells. It will start a 120 without any problem.
Jul 12, 2010, 02:50 PM
WAPilot
Thread OP
Thanks. Good suggestion about pushing the prop back a bit.

Btw, do I understand correctly. Are there 12 C size batteries in that NiCd pack, equating to 1.5v each or 18v total?
Jul 12, 2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
Thanks. Good suggestion about pushing the prop back a bit.

Btw, do I understand correctly. Are there 12 C size batteries in that NiCd pack, equating to 1.5v each or 18v total?
That is correct. !8 volt will spin the starter over quite smartly and will start my 120FS and 130FS twin with no trouble. I have been using this setup for several years with NO problems, the starter will handle the 18 volts easily as it is run for only a few seconds at a time. The other advantage of the NiCds is the fact that they can supply a much higher current than the lead acid type (much lower internal resistance) so there is less voltage drop under load.
Jul 13, 2010, 01:02 AM
NiCd cells are rated at 1.25 volts each - 12 of them will provide 15, not 18 volts. Just after charge, NiCds in good condition will read over 1.3 volt per cell, especially if teted withou a load. However, this excess will bleed off in a few seconds under the heavy load that a starter will place on them. They will then hold a steady 1.25 for the remainder of their useful charge life.
Jul 13, 2010, 07:31 AM
WAPilot
Thread OP
Thanks about letting my know the voltage in the NiCd being at a steady 1.25v. I also found out that the stock Hangar 9 NiCd pack comes wire 10 to a series (the pack made for this starter).

Holding at 1.25v for 10 still gives me only 12.5v unfortunately.

Quick Reply