Jul 11, 2010, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

KMart's Go Pro HD HERO wiring harness

Hi guys!

I've had a lot of interest in my GoPro video-out harness, so I thought I'd post a build log on doing it. Really easy if you have some soldering experience. If you don't- don't worry. Just go slow, take your time, and make sure you shrink wrap all the soldered connections.

Right angle connector can be found here.

GoPro Pan/Tilt mount can be found here.

Radian FPV Pod (chose no Pan/Tilt) can be found here.

GoPro Camera can be found here.

First- the wires. The Mini USB has 4 wires in it. All we need is red/ black (+ and -). The 4 pin connector essentially has 4 wires (red audio, Yellow video, white audio, and the ground wire is not covered). Really, all you are using that connector for is yellow video and loose ground wires.

Because I don't fly with audio, I did not need to use the Red (Audio) wire from the camera. So, I opened up the casing (on the 4 pin connector), clipped the red audio wire, connected it to the RED wire from the mini USB (The + wire), and soldered the black wire from the mini USB to the loose ground wires. DO NOT totally cut all the ground wires- you still need video ground! I just clipped about half and soldered the ground wire to those. BE SURE TO TOTALLY COVER YOUR SOLDER CONNECTIONS!!! The ones inside need to be covered, as you don't want your video or + grounding out on all the loose ground wires.

Hope this helps!

-Kevin

WIRING DIAGRAM:

Mini USB:

Mini USB wires. Cut wire about 2-4" after mini USB connector:

Chopped Mini USB. Green and White wire not used:

4 pin connector wire opened. Red (former Audio) wire Cut:

Some ground wires wrapped to soder. Notice not all ground wires are cut:

Red from USB connected to Red from 4-pin. NOTE: Red wire stub is folded back to avoid shorting out on loose ground:

Shrink Wrap over the whole thing:

Tada!!:

Other end- standard Servo connector:

Some in-mount pictures:

Last edited by Kmart; Jul 11, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
WIRING DIAGRAM:

Sorry if I am a little confused, but was exactly is supplying the voltage to the USB connector. Is the servo connector pluged into a power source? We are not using the battery in the camera?
Jul 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Hi Ian!

Yes, the camera needs 5v in. This is easy to do though- just plug the red/ black wires into your rx! Then wire the yellow and black to your tx. (you will need to split the ground wire later on).

Cheers!
-Kevin
Jul 18, 2010, 08:35 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
You say you dont used audio during flight, but is there a way to make this cable so you can still have audio as well??
Jul 18, 2010, 09:08 PM
NiCd + Mabuchi 550 was da bomb
As of now there is no audio during live-out, hopefully the forthcoming firmware release will implement this.
Jul 18, 2010, 09:13 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
Gotcha, thanks!
Aug 02, 2010, 05:08 AM
Kmart,
Perhaps a dweeb question - why is there a need for video ground? Wouldn't just a connection (yellow line) between the "four-pin connector" and servo plug be sufficient?

I'm a real amateur when it comes to soldering and the loose ground wires seem more difficult to work with. In your opinion, would it be possible to have an alternative approach here?

That is:

i) cut off all wires from the four-pin connector close to the connector
ii) from the wires left in the four-pin connector, solder the yellow (video source) to the green wire on the USB connector. The green wire will therefore now carry the video signal
iii) separate the connection from the USB connector to the green wire which now carries video from the four-pin to the servo connector
iv) the power and ground wires can continue to run from the USB connector to the servo plug.

Many thanks.
Aug 02, 2010, 06:40 PM
Thread OP
Hi there!

I find it easiest to think about it this way- you want a continuous video stream, right? So you need a continuous loop- the video has to go out, and come back in. So you always need a ground wire. It's really easy to do though, just cut half of them.

-Kevin
Aug 02, 2010, 06:57 PM
Nice
Aug 10, 2010, 07:20 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
What are the startup procedures with the camera to get live video out with this harness?
Nov 24, 2010, 11:27 AM
KMart,
If I will be using the GoProHD's internal battery, would I just need the black and yellow coming out of the camera to the VTx or OSD Video Input??

Thanks
Nov 24, 2010, 01:19 PM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
"KMart,
If I will be using the GoProHD's internal battery, would I just need the black and yellow coming out of the camera to the VTx or OSD Video Input??

Thanks "

X2
Nov 24, 2010, 02:04 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
Yes, but if the internal batteries goes dead, and the Go-Pro starts to beep. you have about 10sec to get down before the camera turns off.
I also run power to the usb from my on-board battery. (5v)

Later,
Gundy
Nov 24, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
I do NOT suggest wiring your GoPro harness without the 5v lead and splitting the ground (to plug the 5v and ground into your RX). Like Gundy said, if your battery dies, you ARE going to loose your plane. Not a risk worth taking really.

The good news, is that it is super easy to wire the 5v power in.

-Kevin
Dec 07, 2010, 03:56 PM

Gopro camera battery saver

What I did was I took a lipo battery alarm and hacked it to beep when you have 20 min left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy
Yes, but if the internal batteries goes dead, and the Go-Pro starts to beep. you have about 10sec to get down before the camera turns off.
I also run power to the usb from my on-board battery. (5v)

Later,
Gundy

Quick Reply