Jul 11, 2010, 07:23 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Question

If you could change the AMA in some way ....

Whether you have a real good understanding of the Academy of Aeronautics or not, you are welcome to post your thoughts.

Let's assume that you had the power to change the AMA to make it a better organization. How would you change it so that more people would wish to be members?

Or think of this as the opportunity to create the perfect model aviation membership organization. One that you would want to join. What would it look like? What would its mission be?

The only rules for this discussion is that we treat each other respectfully. All ideas are valid and all points of view are welcome.

This is not about throwing rocks, it is about creating something better or something new. This is a fantasy game. So let's play.

Let's see what positive ideas come out of this.

============================================
AS A REFERENCE I POST THIS FROM THE AMA WEB SITE
FOR THOSE WHO DON'T REALLY KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS

What is the AMA?

•AMA is the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

•AMA is the world's largest model aviation association, representing a membership of more than 150,000 from every walk of life, income level and age group.

•AMA is a self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

•AMA is an organization open to anyone interested in model aviation.

•AMA is the official national body for model aviation in the United States. AMA sanctions more than a thousand model competitions throughout the country each year, and certifies official model flying records on a national and international level.

•AMA is the organizer of the annual National Aeromodeling Championships, the world's largest model airplane competition.

•AMA is the chartering organization for more than 2,500 model airplane clubs across the country. AMA offers its chartered clubs official contest sanction, insurance, and assistance in getting and keeping flying sites.

•AMA is the voice of its membership, providing liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Communications Commission, and other government agencies through our national headquarters in Muncie, Indiana. AMA also works with local governments, zoning boards, and parks departments to promote the interests of local chartered clubs.

•AMA is an associate member of the National Aeronautic Association. Through NAA, AMA is recognized by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), the world governing body of all aviation activity, as the only organization which may direct U.S. participation in international aeromodeling activities.
For more detailed information, contact the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Marketing Department, 5161 E. Memorial Drive, Muncie, Indiana, 47302 or telephone 1-765-287-1256.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMA Vision

We, the members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, are the pathway to the future of modeling and are committed to making modeling the foremost sport/hobby in the world.
This vision is accomplished through:

•Affiliation with its valued associates, the modeling industry and governments.

•A process of continuous improvement.

•A commitment to leadership, quality, education and scientific/technical development.

•A safe, secure, enjoyable modeling environment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMA Mission

The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.

The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education, and scientific/technical development to modelers

The above was copied from this link on the AMA site:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/whatisama.aspx
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 11, 2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Add link to AMA web site
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2010, 07:38 AM
Much more aggressive and involved in flying site acquisition, retention assistance. With the shift to electric we should be able to go back into noise sensitive areas closer to cities.

I don't feel enough is done with flying site assistance overall.

Mike
Jul 11, 2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
How would you change it so that more people would wish to be members?
I view AMA as a means to an end...similar to the NRA...yes, I support both.

I truly hope one day they both can complete their prime directives and make themselves no longer needed... a gun in every household... right beside their model airplane...

Unfortunately it seems AMA has become overly self aware IMO and more concerned with its very own existence than to labor on the actual reason it even exists...that fact is evidenced over and over again with the seemingly endless introspection by members and their rationalizations validating their very own existence all the while practicing the prescribed AMA self preservation tactics instead of what should be a very simple goal.

Let's just face it, AMA is now about AMA... and many members will defend that position endlessly with just about every contradictory rationalization possible.

Yes, it seems more often than not, belonging to the organization out-weighs the original intent of the organization.

The question seems to always be how to grow AMA...

Bottom line IMO...grow the hobby first and foremost and the AMA will be just fine...large or small...it doesn't matter.

Now, with all that said if I could effect a change it would to start an initiative to find and acquire more flying sites that do not necessarily need AMA to exist on an ongoing basis. There are many public lands that could be opened up for the general model aviation community use but there is zero incentives within AMA to do so. Actually, the AMA favors not developing such sites.

OK, flame suit on... get with it.
Jul 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:

============================================
AS A REFERENCE I POST THIS FROM THE AMA WEB SITE
FOR THOSE WHO DON'T REALLY KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS

Funny...I didn't see the "divide and span control" passage from the actual AMA primer...what gives?
Jul 11, 2010, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by init4fun; Sep 15, 2010 at 09:32 AM.
Jul 11, 2010, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaft
Funny...I didn't see the "divide and span control" passage from the actual AMA primer...what gives?
Do you find the AMA primer, as posted by Frank, on the AMA web site? I thought that was something he created, so no reason to have it as part of this discussion.

Quote:
Now, with all that said if I could effect a change it would to start an initiative to find and acquire more flying sites that do not necessarily need AMA to exist on an ongoing basis. There are many public lands that could be opened up for the general model aviation community use but there is zero incentives within AMA to do so. Actually, the AMA favors not developing such sites.
Can you expand on this? I am not sure I understand your statement. I am not attacking or supporting your statement. Just trying to understand its basis.

Are you quoting some AMA policy or some EC meeting minutes? I am just trying to understand the basis of your statement as I have not seen or heard of such a policy. How is AMA preventing the development of public land for use as model aviation sites? I don't even see how AMA could do this, but I am open to being enlightened.
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Jul 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
I don't even see how AMA could do this, but I am open to being enlightened.
Hmmm...
As you know negatives are unprovable... so back to you. Tell me where AMA has purposely opened a flying site for Aviation enthusiasts that didn't require AMA membership for its use...go all the way back to 1936 if you wish...I'll wait patiently for proof you can present...
Jul 11, 2010, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hmmm...
As you know negatives are unprovable... so back to you. Tell me where AMA has purposely opened a flying site for Aviation enthusiasts that didn't require AMA membership for its use...go all the way back to 1936 if you wish...I'll wait patiently for proof you can present...

None that I know of. The only site I know of that was opened and operated by AMA is the national flying site.

AMA is not in the business of opening or operating flying sites. It is not part of AMA's charter or mission as far as I know. There is no mention of AMA opening or operating flying sites above.

I suppose there could have been a change some time ago, but as far as I know they have never been in the business of opening or operating flying sites.

AMA does offer assistance to clubs that wish to open a flying sites. That is part of what AMA does, as stated above. But those are club sites, not AMA sites.

But back to your statement and my question.

You said that AMA was some how preventing clubs from opening sites on public land. You have not explained how you believe AMS is doing this.
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 11, 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added bold
Jul 11, 2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:

As far as I know, all AMA chartered club sites are opened by clubs, not by the AMA.
So, we are not going to sing the "We are the AMA" mantra now?

Hmmm...this AMA thing is kinda slippery...it depends on what day or point that is trying to be made as to whether we are the AMA or not...

Oh well...I guess you couldn't find anything either...thanks for trying.
Jul 11, 2010, 01:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
So, we are not going to sing the "We are the AMA" mantra now?

Hmmm...this AMA thing is kinda slippery...it depends on what day or point that is trying to be made as to whether we are the AMA or not...

Oh well...I guess you couldn't find anything either...thanks for trying.
I am sorry but I have no idea what this means.

The AMA Mission statements, goals and objectives are clearly stated above. If there is something you don't understand about them, then say so.

I included them so that it would be clear who AMA is as well as its mission. Opening and operating flying sites is not one of them. It never has been as far as I know. If you were missinformed about this then at least now you know.

Are you aware of any flying sites that AMA has opened or operated other than the national flying site?

Before one can suggest how an organization can change or be improved it is best to understand what it is and what it does today.
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 11, 2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added bold
Jul 11, 2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:

But back to your statement and my question.

You said that AMA was some how preventing clubs from opening sites on public land. You have not explained how you believe AMS is doing this.
Wrong! I said no such thing and I think you know that...
Jul 11, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Sorry, I miss quoted you.

As you state above, you believe AMA favors not developing these sites. I again ask you the source upon which you base this statement.

No attack implied. Just want to understand the basis of your statement.
Jul 11, 2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Sorry, I miss quoted you.

As you state above, you believe AMA favors not developing these sites. I again ask you the source upon which you base this statement.

No attack implied. Just want to understand the basis of your statement.
I don't think you have truly grasped the "proving negative" theory. One can only prove positives.

Now, if you can find one let us know.

Please quite asking the same question different ways.

In other words, show me the "favor". Show me how AMA favors non-AMAers.
Jul 11, 2010, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Since you don't seem to be able to explain or support your your comment I will assume you can not support it. That's fine with me. I didn't think you could.

Let's get this thread back on track.

To all of you out there, if you could change the AMA in some way ....
Jul 11, 2010, 02:58 PM
Re-kitting Expert
Give the FAA and Homeland (In)Security enough time and you'll be required to join some national organization to fly RC at all. Probably be labeled a potential terrorist by doing so.

Quick Reply