Jul 02, 2019, 07:24 AM
Morning Light Mountain
I'm running the straight Eflite P-47 struts with 3" robart wheels in. No problems at all :-)

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2019, 06:40 PM

Update

Keeping this thread alive since it has so much good info and mines still kicking.
Jul 11, 2019, 06:43 PM
Oh. YS175 for power. The Saito 1.20,1.50 1.80 etc are all good.
Jul 11, 2019, 10:08 PM
flyin' Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderboat42
Keeping this thread alive since it has so much good info and mines still kicking.
Yes, thanks, a big help as I recently picked mine up needing some TLC to get back in the air. Another TF classic that I hope gets a lifeline from HH - I see some other TF models are returning so that is a good sign.
Jul 13, 2019, 01:03 PM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
Anyone have a Left Wing or Wingset they would be willing to sell? Mine was damaged in transport.
Latest blog entry: Miss Foxy Lady eBuild
Jul 25, 2019, 10:09 PM
flyin' Dude
Well I finished my wing repair tonight so finally ready to install servos and get ready to fly. I bought this plane knowing the wings needed rebuilding so treated it as a chance to learn and hopefully get a nice plane on a budget. Reinforcing the gear rails was a challenge but kind of fun and I am pleased with the design I came up with. And I learned how to use epoxy fillers and glue fillers. Patching the sheeting, filling and sanding was very tedious and not near as much fun for me. It’s hard to get a smooth finish on compound curves. Likewise the MonoKote but it looks pretty good from a distance ;-)
Aug 05, 2019, 04:41 PM
flyin' Dude
Well thought I would maiden today but one of the eflite retracts just quit while I was testing everything. Bummer. Will see what Tower says about replacement.
Aug 06, 2019, 12:00 PM
flyin' Dude
Oh, BTW, my P51 weighs 10.3# ( I actually thought it would be heavier). I am balanced at 5 1/4". 6.6V A123 2.5AH pack next to the fuse servos, empty tank, gear extended (cant retract cause one is broke), no gas in tank. Can't move the battery any further back - would probably look for a lighter spinner before I add tail weight. Tower is refunding for the retracts but the 90deg are now backordered - I may get 85deg instead.
Aug 07, 2019, 08:08 AM
Morning Light Mountain
I'm using the Eflite 85 degrees and they are perfect. Try Ebay for the retracts.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Aug 19, 2019, 12:11 PM
Dandaman007, I have a damaged wing set in my shop. Both are slightly damaged. However I did repair one but need a little bit of covering if my memory is correct. The damage is from shipping not a crash. I can get pictures and send them to you.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:14 PM
Hi guys. So I am in need of a tail wheel mount and steering arm. I am considering doing a tail retract mod. I would like to hear from people that have done this and which retract they used. I have looked at the retract from the FMS 1700mm P-51 as a replacement but they are out of stock at HH. Thanks for the feed back!
Aug 20, 2019, 02:03 PM
flyin' Dude
Well I finally got my maiden in, plus several more flights. Flies better than I expected, honestly, very locked in. Quite fast with the VVRCRCGF 20 RE (that's a mouthful!). Faster than my P47 of similar size and weight - I guess the Mustang's pointy nose gives it an advantage. My landings were nice and smooth, if a bit fast - cut the ignition and let is coast off the end of the runway a couple times. Still playing around with flaps, using more than the manual says. But low rates per the manual on everything else is just fine - beautiful loops, Immelmanns and Cuban 8s all day long. Needs some down trim at high speed, just like the real ones - and with that down trim, I actually had to dial in a little UP elevator with the flaps. Perhaps a little more down-thrust would help, but I don't want to mess with my nice spinner gap. I think my CG at 5 1/4" is fine - just a little down elevator inverted which seems OK for a warbird. Anyway, I'll fine tune all that over time - just happy she flies so nice.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil_v
Well I finally got my maiden in, plus several more flights. Flies better than I expected, honestly, very locked in. Quite fast with the VVRCRCGF 20 RE (that's a mouthful!). Faster than my P47 of similar size and weight - I guess the Mustang's pointy nose gives it an advantage. My landings were nice and smooth, if a bit fast - cut the ignition and let is coast off the end of the runway a couple times. Still playing around with flaps, using more than the manual says. But low rates per the manual on everything else is just fine - beautiful loops, Immelmanns and Cuban 8s all day long. Needs some down trim at high speed, just like the real ones - and with that down trim, I actually had to dial in a little UP elevator with the flaps. Perhaps a little more down-thrust would help, but I don't want to mess with my nice spinner gap. I think my CG at 5 1/4" is fine - just a little down elevator inverted which seems OK for a warbird. Anyway, I'll fine tune all that over time - just happy she flies so nice.
Congrats. These are nice flying planes when set up correctly. Sounds like you have a good handle on the setup. I recall a similar experience with the full throttle climb and not wanting to mess with the spinner alignment. After several years I have not done anything about it because it's so minor. The flaps are the only thing I went outside of the recommendations. Basically I put in as much flap deflection as I could get. This helps slow down for landing.

Have fun!

Carl
Aug 20, 2019, 09:40 PM
Congratulations on the maiden! She is a sweetheart to fly.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:58 PM
flyin' Dude
Thanks Carl, that is good to hear. Looking for the sweet spot with the flaps - don’t want to slow too much and stall a foot high and bang down. I try to retract flaps once down so I can pull elevator and plant the tail without getting airborne again. I fly from a nice paved runway so it’s hard to slow down.

Quick Reply