Jul 07, 2010, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

My NQD "Tear Into" build thread.

Here's the beginning of my Tear Into build. I'm still waiting on the brushless motor/esc, and batteries from HK, but they should be here any day now.

I don't have any bone stock pictures, but there's enough of those floating around.

Here's the jet nozzle with water pickup:

Another angle:

Shot from the top, showing empty hull with new hatch cutout:

Say buh bye to this junk :

Stock antenna hole patched, still needs to be filled and sanded smooth (I'm using an AR500, no need for the hole anymore):

Rear of the hull, with water entrance(left) and exit(right):

I was hoping to get more accomplished tonight, but my epoxy has gone bad and all the LHS stores were already closed by the time I realized it.

Hopefully tomorrow I get the prep done on the hull, and the white basecoat laid down. I've also got to pick up some brass tubing that's the right diameter to sleeve the impeller shaft, the tubing I'm using for the water cooling is just a hair too big.

I'm hoping to get it all back together with the stock motor/battery by the weekend to test it out and see if the modifications help out the speed at all on the stock power system (using the spektrum RX, old Novak T4 esc and 9g steering servo).

Once the HK order shows up I'll be making the water cooling plates for both the motor and ESC, then really letting this thing rip!

Any suggestions for paint? I'm thinking about maybe some digital camo, but haven't really made up my mind. I'll be airbrushing it, so it can be as wild as I feel like doing!

Stock with battery: 612g.
Stock electronics: 111g.
Bare hull: 157g.
The pump, impeller, coupler, nozzle: 28g.
Stock battery: 155g.
Stock motor: 100g.
Misc others (612g - all listed weights): 61g

AR500: 8g (actual).
New motor: 69g (actual).
New ESC: 40g (actual).
New battery: 188g (actual).
New servo: 12g (actual, with horn).
New total (including 61g misc): 535g.

I think even with the water cooling plates I'll come it at or under the stock weight, which was my goal all along!
Last edited by wparsons; Jul 12, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2010, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Hobby king order arrived, here's the goodies!

Bit of progress on the hull:

Finally got to the painting! Still needs clearcoat, but I'm letting the base fully harden before I get into that.

Once I get the clear on and cured I'll be dropping all the guts back into it! The motor is on the drive with the cooling plate, ESC has the cooling plate attached. Still have to make a bracket for the servo, but thats about it other than final assembly!
Last edited by wparsons; Jul 15, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Jul 07, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Complete, just waiting for water

Short video, couldn't really open it up but I'm pleased so far! I barely hit full throttle a couple times, so this should be a pile of fun in more open water!

Tear Into after mods (1 min 30 sec)
Last edited by wparsons; Jul 17, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Jul 08, 2010, 02:45 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi W,

Wow, that's quite 'brutal', that large scoop in the jet section...

Are you sure it's necessary to have it protrude so rigorously into the water stream (and disrupting it)?

I would think the pressure in the nozzle would be sufficient to push water into the pick-up.
Judging by how much water is picked up by a forward slanted tube in the bottom of a hull, I'd think a scoop would be 'major' overkill.

Make sure the silicone tubes inside the boat are secured, you don't want them blown off and filling your hull in seconds...

Regards, Jan.
Jul 08, 2010, 11:21 PM
Thread OP
^^ It doesn't protrude that far, keep in mind the tubing is 1/8", it just looks big in the picture. It's cut on a 45* angle as well, so it shouldn't be terribly intrusive.

I thought it was overkill when I first started looking at other peoples builds, but this seems to be the most popular way to do the water pickup.
Jul 09, 2010, 12:17 AM
Cool, I'm watching your build. I have one of these boats stripped down and waiting for time and $$ to put it back together. Mine never ran with the stock junk (but I expected that)
Jul 09, 2010, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
If you have a brushed ESC, TX/RX and servo you could have it back in the water for basically free. Outside of the brushless motor/esc and lipos, I have about $20 tied up in it, which is mostly paint and a bit of brass plate/tubing.

Progress is slow, so no new pictures yet. Painting is taking A LOT of coats to cover the yellow/orange colour. Probably should have used a grey primer before the white, but I'm not going to sand it down to start over at this point.
Jul 09, 2010, 11:37 AM
Closed Account

Tear into

I revamped mine a few years ago thru RCU and person was Dragonfire i believe. The nozzle was left same diameter but made a smaller cone inside the existing shute. This inside piece was slanted enough so existing water had no edges to contend with and increased the pressure coming out was greater due to smaller cone. I shelved it due to expense was increasing beyound the price of unit. I put in bearings and replaced u-joints as they shelled out with a 05 motor. Internals went into a zip-top bag hanging on a rafter nail, still there.
Jul 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
Thread OP
Hobby king order arrived, hopefully I make some progress tonight!
Jul 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
Jet boats rock man, good to hear you have the parts to keep going!
Jul 12, 2010, 07:07 PM
As i promised,i`m watching!!!....,........Albert
Jul 15, 2010, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
Getting closer! Just clear coat and final assembly left!
Jul 16, 2010, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Put it all together, put it in the tub and.... I've got a leak Somewhere around the pump intake isn't sealed well at all.

The good news is that after 3-4 minutes of me goofing around with it in the tub the motor is still at a decent temp (might look into a better cooling plate still) and the esc is barely warm. I sucked about 500ma out of the pack, so it should be ok in actual running since I was using more part throttle than WOT which loads the motor way worse.

It puts out a TON more power than stock, should be fun on the water once I get the leak fixed

Just have to fix the leak, put the RX in a balloon (and mount it) and then take it for a real rip!
Jul 16, 2010, 09:19 PM
I have some Plastidip which goes on wet and dries like rubber/silicon, great for filling leaks etc, would this be good for around the motor shaft? or does it need the lubrication of the grease?

Thanks
Jul 16, 2010, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
It's not the shaft, its around the base of the pump. I did use silicone between the pump and the hull, but apparently I missed a spot. It's not a ton of water, but its still water. It doesn't come in under power since all the water is being pumped out the back though, which means I *could* drive it like this, I just couldn't stop

Quick Reply