Jul 07, 2010, 12:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Hyperion Sentry battery checker

Hyperion Sentry battery checker new arrived in stock!
Price is just US$23.95 + US$5 worldwide shipping.
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=170

More information on Hyperion official website:
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/sentry/

Ming Lou
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2010, 09:07 AM
Southern Pride
Nice looking unit. I was justing checking out the specs. on the site yesterday. I only wish it had a larger display as it is increasely difficult for many of us senior citizens to see small displays without our reading glasses.

Charles
Jul 07, 2010, 07:29 PM
Jack
This one is not too bad at all Charles.

Does not need a lot of light to read it, the displays are dark and with good contrast, it is my essential battery bag/charging area do-it-all device now. My eyes are 68 now but still healthy enough with specs on.

A guy like you probably will want two or more of them.

I really like leaving it on the balance connectors on the A123 pack while I charge via the batter connector. I can see the min to max cell variation as the pack charges. Great for checking a pack under load and looking for cell to cell variations too.

In all fairness I have the "MegaPower Smart Guard" one from OK Hobby, that one hit the market a couple of months ago. It does not come with the Hyperion markings or as nicely packaged but it appears the same in every other respect and has the same specs.

The bar graph thing at the bottom is just eye candy, I don't pay much attention to it, but the numbers are sweet and quick as it gets as far as stepping through a pack and then checking the total and min to max variation.

The servo connection for checking NiMH and NiCad receiver pack is not a loaded test, just a voltage display, so you have to be careful if you use it for deciding charge state. But you could make a small, servo extension like, adapter with a resistor in parallel across the leads and it would do a loaded test. A resistor that draws about 250 mA has proven to be a reliable test load for a 6V receiver pack I'm told.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jul 07, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Jul 07, 2010, 07:41 PM
Go Hawks!
its the same one that I purchased from OKhobby.HK months ago.
But thats no surprise given that the factory makes hyperion hardware as well as the MegaPower hardware.

Jul 09, 2010, 12:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
its the same one that I purchased from OKhobby.HK months ago.
But thats no surprise given that the factory makes hyperion hardware as well as the MegaPower hardware.
No, this is a brand new product just ex-factory few days ago.
I use it on the flying site yesterday and feel that every RC pilot should have one.

Ming Lou
Last edited by Ming; Jul 09, 2010 at 01:49 AM.
Jul 09, 2010, 06:14 AM
Calab
Well..this one just exactly the same as MEGA POWER smart guard....I am also very happy with this!

Like this seller, just USD 27.99 SHIPPED!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mega-Power-Smart...item41505cfa66
Jul 09, 2010, 11:13 AM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming
No, this is a brand new product just ex-factory few days ago.
I use it on the flying site yesterday and feel that every RC pilot should have one.

Ming Lou
Sorry to break this to you Ming, but Hyperion hardware is manufactured in the same factory that makes MegaPower and the MP Smart Guard was released months ago. Everyone knows that Hyperion is a little slow in releasing hardware, but that may be due to more testing, etc...either way, I've had this unit since February of this year.

http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=884

and made a thread on it when I received it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=cryhavoc38

At any rate, this is a very handy tool and several flyers I know have picked one up after seeing what it can do.
Jul 09, 2010, 01:24 PM
Jack
That is a very nicely made and easily understood manual, Ming.

I think it is a little misleading in paragraph 5.0 when it says (in talking about Nickel based batteries) that "..here you can see only the Totals including the remaining capacity...".

Resting voltages in NiMH and NiCad batteries is a very unreliable indicator as to the state of charge of the battery. The only good way to estimate capacity for those types of batteries is to perform a voltage measurement under load.

Someone that did not know or understand that could easily be lead to think, by looking at the graph on the battery checker, that a receiver pack battery had an adequate amount of capacity remaining when it did not actually have that much.

And we all know that if your receiver battery pack runs out of capacity during a flight, it can have tragic consequences for an airplane. The end would be a little less dramatic for RC cars but just as inconvenient.

The user's guide that comes with the Smart Guard does caution that the capacity shown for Nixx cells is not accurate and should not be relied on.

Don't read any insult or argument into my post, when you tell us about your product you are also opening the floor to discussion on them. And we are also providing tiy feedback as to what you might want to do to improve your products and/or user's guides.

Cheers,

Jack
Jul 09, 2010, 02:42 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes

I think it is a little misleading in paragraph 5.0 when it says (in talking about Nickel based batteries) that "..here you can see only the Totals including the remaining capacity...".

Resting voltages in NiMH and NiCad batteries is a very unreliable indicator as to the state of charge of the battery. The only good way to estimate capacity for those types of batteries is to perform a voltage measurement under load.

Someone that did not know or understand that could easily be lead to think, by looking at the graph on the battery checker, that a receiver pack battery had an adequate amount of capacity remaining when it did not actually have that much.

And we all know that if your receiver battery pack runs out of capacity during a flight, it can have tragic consequences for an airplane. The end would be a little less dramatic for RC cars but just as inconvenient.

The user's guide that comes with the Smart Guard does caution that the capacity shown for Nixx cells is not accurate and should not be relied on.

Don't read any insult or argument into my post, when you tell us about your product you are also opening the floor to discussion on them. And we are also providing tiy feedback as to what you might want to do to improve your products and/or user's guides.

Cheers,

Jack
The megapower manual states that the capacity for NIXX should not be relied upon.

"The capacity shown for NIXX type cells is not accurate and should not be relied upon"
Jul 10, 2010, 08:35 PM
The Great Santini
Buy instead a bm-6 monitor from hobbycity for $13, in fact get two for less $. It gives you all the key readings (total pack, indiv cells, high-low, low cell alarm), it's accurate, has a programmable voltage alarm (ie, 3.6v/cell under load, whatever you want..), tiny and thin, good read out, up to 8S, and you can attach it to your batt tap, stick it on the model and fly with it and it'll scream at you when you need to land. I attach it to 6S batts on my Align 500esp and tuck it under the canopy. Can't beat it.
Jul 13, 2010, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Those nice manual from Hyperion website not me.

Ming Lou
Aug 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
deleted
Last edited by dwalk; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: found answer elsewhere
Sep 27, 2010, 08:27 AM
I hate waiting for parts
I was thinking about purchasing one of these, as it looks to be a handy tool to give you information about your battery that a simple wattmeter can't do. Cryhavoc, are you still enjoying your MP-version? Does anyone else have this device?
Sep 27, 2010, 10:57 AM
Jack
I've been using the Mega Power Smart Guard version (that and the Hyperion are the same and both work the same) since early this year and it has performed faultlessly.

It lives in my battery bag and gets used on the charging bench at home and in the field when I fly and gets used all the time. I use it while I'm charging to monitor the cell to cell balance on the pack.

There was some discussion of the Smart Guard version here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newr...e=1&p=16153012

If it has a shortfall it would be that iIt does not do a loaded test for NiMH receiver packs (it has a servo type connector for checking those).

But if you use those you could make a small adapter with servo extension by putting a 22 Ohm or so resistor across the leads and that would give you a loaded test (the load would be about 1/4A on 6V pack).

Jack

Quick Reply