New 4#6/4G6/V120 Landing Gear Break - RC Groups
Jul 05, 2010, 02:38 PM
Discussion

New 4#6/4G6/V120 Landing Gear Break

Recently got a new pair of replacement landing gear for my 4#6S -Part # HM-4#6-Z-12 & listed as newest version for 4#6,4G6 (& appear to be on latest V120). Looked good,very robust compared to stock 4#6 gear- legs are beefed up,& has a wider stance-which was nice,slightly heavier.
However,as has been reported recently,these gear break very easily,plastic seems too brittle. Mine broke after only a few landings-flying off grass-none of which would have even phased the old gear (which was much more flexible). It appeared to stress break right on a mold line-which is in the center of the legs (see picture).
Not good,& not a good sign if they are going to be standard on the new V line coming out. Thought newest version might have meant 2nd generation for the gear also,but seems not. Hopefully the old style gear will be available for a while longer.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2010, 04:01 PM
i bought the v120 and a extra of the new version landing skid
Jul 05, 2010, 04:28 PM
It's repairable,but will probably break again soon-disappointed with how easily it broke. I think I will just repair my old stock gear & put it back on.
Jul 05, 2010, 04:50 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Subscribed...
Walkera really need to learn to stick with their good quality suppliers and not the cheapest.
They seam to change their suppliers more than I change my underwear.
Regards Jason
Jul 05, 2010, 06:15 PM
Purdue Engineering
I've heard that Walkera manufactures different quality "batches" of parts. Reportedly, the re-branded Helimax Novus 125 parts are the best.
Jul 05, 2010, 07:07 PM
What are the alternatives? The Trex look strong....but look heavy also.
Jul 05, 2010, 07:43 PM
Inciting Riots
Mia tuff skids? Haven't used them but you see a lot people using them:
http://www.micro-flight.com/Walkera%204G6.htm

His site seems to be messed right now so it is difficult to navigate.
Jul 05, 2010, 07:53 PM
nute

i had a similar break on my first set of skids after only a few flights.
it was a heavy landing but not close to crashing.

on close inspection it appeared to have porosity (an air bubble) in the plastic where it broke.

i used 5min epoxy for the repair until new skids arrived, and had heavier landings on the repair without a problem.

cheers
a
Jul 05, 2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
Mia tuff skids? Haven't used them but you see a lot people using them:
http://www.micro-flight.com/Walkera%204G6.htm

His site seems to be messed right now so it is difficult to navigate.
They good. Does anybody know the weight.
Jul 05, 2010, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ado1974
nute

i had a similar break on my first set of skids after only a few flights.
it was a heavy landing but not close to crashing.

on close inspection it appeared to have porosity (an air bubble) in the plastic where it broke.

i used 5min epoxy for the repair until new skids arrived, and had heavier landings on the repair without a problem.

cheers
a
I would say the landing where it cracked was slightly heavy also-on grass-but I had many,many of those with the stock gear without any damage,& when the origional gear did break-it broke at a top joint-not in the center of a leg.What I don't understand is why there are mold lines (on inside) about half way down on each curved leg.This is where the break occured-seems like it will happen again at that spot on the other legs as well. Lacks flexability also-very stiff-this is where the stock set is superior-it "gives" on a harder landing instead of breaking.
Jul 05, 2010, 10:17 PM
Wow's site says there are three versions of the LG.
Old round
New flat: brittle
New flat better
http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-4g6-z-1...ra4g6-1-1.aspx

Hoping you got V2 ie if that is the V3 the V1 is far better. I ordered a set from CJ. See what happens.

Amp
Jul 05, 2010, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw
Wow's site says there are three versions of the LG.
Old round
New flat: brittle
New flat better
http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-4g6-z-1...ra4g6-1-1.aspx

Hoping you got V2 ie if that is the V3 the V1 is far better. I ordered a set from CJ. See what happens.

Amp
You might be ok if there is a 3rd version (HM-4#6-Z-13)-mine was packaged as Z-12 stock,so it was probably 2nd version.Didn't get it from WOW,but I'm sure even a lot of the sellers don't know about this problem & will be trying to unload the bad batch till stock runs out.Unfortunate we are beta testers once again.
Jul 05, 2010, 10:53 PM
I'll post if mine is labeled Z13 when it arrives.

...and yep stock varience and QC is not Walkera's forte.

Amp
Jul 06, 2010, 12:01 AM
Is it just me or do others think that the landing gear should be a bit taller, same with the tail fin, so you dont smack the tail rotor on the ground all the time? It would only need to be a half cm or so higher.
Jul 06, 2010, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker
Is it just me or do others think that the landing gear should be a bit taller, same with the tail fin, so you dont smack the tail rotor on the ground all the time? It would only need to be a half cm or so higher.
I would agree,especially flying off grass. Landing softly on a smooth surface is tricky enough,& any wind makes it nearly impossible with this small 4#6/4G6.