Apr 17, 2011, 04:18 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Hi Guys,

It turned out to be a VERY nice day here. It was impossible to stay in the house. The sky was beautiful. See photos. I should have went flying, but instead, I gardened. There was a slight breeze and it was 54 out. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2011, 01:50 PM
Cumulus! Pretty cumulus! Want!

Neil
Apr 20, 2011, 08:19 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
You should have gone flying then done the garden.I've got the new roll of black covering photos later.Come to think of it Bob you should mount a motor to the jr falcon,after a trim flight or 2 you could most likely fly it out of your driveway.
Apr 20, 2011, 05:55 PM
Hi Scottie,

I was looking at it last weekend. I was thinking about getting it going. Thanks again Scottie.

Bob in Seattle
Apr 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hi Guys,

It looks like it's going to be 65 and sunny here in Seattle on Sat. That's NOT good for staying indoors and doing covering. I'll keep you posted.

Bob in Seattle
Apr 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Thread OP

Little Update

65 and sunny sounds like flying weather to me Bob, the only question I would have, if I were you, is which planes will I be taking to the field today. I do not have Bob's good fortune for the weekend. Questionable weather and a packed weekend schedule will mean no flying for me but I do have a build update, albeit a small one, for all of you.

I have been working on the horizontal tail pieces and as this is the first full flying tail I have ever built, let alone assembled, I was very nervous about getting the joiner tubes to line up and fit with each other and with the bellcrank. I spent many hours thinking of how to do this and here is what I came up with. Build the tail as one piece. I made a single piece of TE stock and carefully placing both left hand and right hand patterns on the building board I was able to assemble everything square and perfectly in line with the bellcrank. I actually used the bellcrank to set the joiner rod tube spacing. It worked beautifully. I used the TE stock to set the joiner rod tube slots by placing two metal straight edges parallel to the TE and then gluing them down. The bell crank was used to set the aft tube based off the front one. I know I am explaining this very poorly, which is why I will never write an assembly manual for anything but maybe some pictures will help get the idea across. I am going to add a spar by notching the ribs and sliding one along the TE of the D-box.

My job and life commitments have really been getting in the way of building but that happens. Bob and Scottie, keep up the great work, Scottie, you should be flying yours very soon indeed based on the pictures and Bob is not too far behind. I will be bringing up the rear and hopefully will not be passed up by someone who has not yet started their build.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 22, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Apr 23, 2011, 01:10 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Your Moving along faster than me there, Wayne! Great job! I'm having too much fun in the 'ultimate man cave', so I have disengaged all hoped due dates on the C, but am at the 'how to color part for the wing!
Johnny
Apr 23, 2011, 06:33 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Stab is looking good Wayne-for a spar on mine I used 1/16 ply left from the fuse sides.Cut notches in the spar and ribs half depth of both and line the spar up to land on the edge of the D box sheet.Also you may want to add some small spruce blocks at the rear tube ends drilled and tapped for a 4/40 set screw to keep the stab from sliding off.I use the screws that come with Dubro wheel collars as the allen wrench comes in the bag as well.The capt likes kid stick glue stick for holding duty for canards and even wings so take your pick.Say capt isn't the miss stick near ready to go?That will give you something to chase thermals with even if it has a prop up front.As far as flying my raven-well--- the covering is comeing out good enough that when it's done I think I'll drop it off to my stripeing guy and have him do it up.depending on what he thinks will look good and as this is a busy time of year for him the bird may be there for a week or more before I get it back.After she comes home I figure another week or so of final set up and whatnot and maybe two weeks after that for the grounds crew to get the school field in shape for the maiden.Also when I finish the raven covering I'll be starting an E power sinbad of about 52" span over in the old timer section.
Last edited by rabidrue1; Apr 23, 2011 at 06:47 AM.
Apr 24, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hi Guys,

After a wild day of gardening yesterday, I'm back at it today. It's raining of course. I am starting to cover the wings. Useing the "Nick" method, I am ironing the colors together on a piece of glass first. See photo. You just have to remember that the glass soaks up a lot of heat. So, turn up your iron and go over it many times.
Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
Apr 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Hi Bob

I got out my 25 yr old E bird to take a pic for the Blue bunch and the monokote is a bit loose,i could not find my iron so i bought a new Hanger 9 brand from the LHS and plugged it in and does that baby stink and it has some smoke coming out from the hole for the reostat shaft. Maybe the new reostat has some light oil in it?
Is the smoke usual on a new iron?, no sun today so it looked like a good day to tune this baby up and take a few pics of this scratch built 100" E bird using a Astro 05 and nicads and a 4 panel poly wing with a Mirage airfoil 45 oz.
If i put in a new light motor set up might loose 8 or 10 oz in this trans Blue & Yellow flyer.
Thanks

Don
Apr 24, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hi Don,

Sounds like you got a bad iron. No smell and no smoke is normal. I'd suggest you get a 21St Century Iron from Tower Hobby on pg 88, COVR2700. Nick and I love ours.

Bob in Seattle
Apr 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I got one of the inboard bottom sections done today. See photo. I had to order more white today. I've got enough to do one more section maybe. Stay tuned.
It's time for Pinot Gris and cheese with Foxy. We're having salmon tonight, as usual.

Bob in Seattle
Apr 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
Bob i figure i had nothing to loose so i kept it plugged in outdoors and the smoke cleared up and it has a bit of the odor left, so maybe a little more burn in time and it will be ok.

I like the blue & white for your new plane , pretty cool !!

Don
Apr 24, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind words about the color choise. I just hope your iron doesn't short out and shock you.

Bob in Seattle
Apr 24, 2011, 08:41 PM
My guess is that is why the handle is wood, glad it is.

Don

Quick Reply