Sep 30, 2001, 08:38 PM
Thread OP

Some Pics of my Eco 8 your opinions and suggestions please

Hello All

Thanks your help and suggestion it has been possible for me to enjoy RC heliocopters. I have had 200+ flights with my Eco 8(my first heli) and no crashes(knock on wood)! I have added some upgrades to my Eco 8, which you can view here.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=13813054&f=0

You can view the rest of my heli pics here.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1784613&f=0

You can see some of my helis in action at the field and in an empty apartment

I hope you enjoy theses pics and I look forward to you suggestions and comments.

Carlo
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2001, 10:40 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan

hi

how does that aveox ?????? motor run in the eco? and man you are having some fine luck there by not crashing , hu? you must be hovering , LOL just kidding , man I wish I could say that , I crashed my gensmantel heaven ( its history) on its second flight last month and it took me a month to get back into it from being discoraged and disapointed that I let her crash to her death , a hard pitch up from a dive stripped her gears 100 feet up and blades just seamed to stop with in 1 second and the the free fall until she landed up right at around 50 mph, the only thing that live was the blades ,motor ( borchert BL), kontronics 25-6-12 and the tail blades, I have a spair , now I just need to build it , and now I put all my gear back in my voyager and been flying her in the gym for the past 2 nights here in alaska , its too cold to fly out side, see ya Tony
Sep 30, 2001, 10:45 PM
Thread OP

aveox motor

Hello

The Aveox 1406/3y is a very powerful motor. I am using 13 tooth pinion and my Eco climbs like a rocket, the only thing that gets me is it gets pretty warm. I thought brushless motor were supposed to be more efficent. I have my throttle curve set to 80% from low to high stick and my kotronik 3SL-40-6-18 in heli mode. I still get 8:30 of very powerful flight with my 9 cell 2000 mah match and zapped pack, and Im sure sure my flight time will go up when I get my new 10 cell cp1700 mah match and zapped pack.

Carlo
Oct 01, 2001, 12:46 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Try a CPU fan on the motor. Just a few grams and it will run right off the flight pack.

There is also a nice clip on heatsink form Traxxes for S500 motors. I have one for my Hawk now. Part # 1522
Oct 01, 2001, 02:09 AM
if you are brushless i would be more inclined to look for some inefficiency from the motor to the rotor as heat is not going to be good for the motor in the long run,ie pinion size ,meshing,friction etc.i can only speak for x250 h but mine is barely warm after ten mins.
Oct 01, 2001, 02:28 AM
Thread OP

heat and efficency loss

Hello All

I have the older 1406/3y with a no load kv of 2400. So with load I am guessing about 2200-2100 kv, does this sound right to you all. Well any ways I am getting a 10 cell pack and I am going to put on my 10 tooth pinion and if my calculations are correct I should have a head speed of 1466-1400 rpm. This should bring my motor temp down, efficency up and some more fun to my flying

As for cooling, if you take a closer look at my Eco 8 pictures you will notice a hole cut in my canopy, a big hole. I think I am going to try the heat sink thing, thanks for the pic Fred.

Carlo
Oct 01, 2001, 09:24 AM

hey

hey , you better watch those aveoxes, I have a 10102y that I put on my concept ep and on its first flight I slung a mag. when the temp went above 70c, but I was only running 7 cells , never did try 8 or 10 which could have been diff.
I will put the 1010 on my micro heaven when its built, which will be about a month when everything will be in ,
Tony
Oct 02, 2001, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
Hello

I think the more cells you run(10 vs 8) and the use of a lower pinion(10 vs 13) will will decrease temp. I put a 10 tooth pinion on my Eco and kept every thing else the same. Now my Eco flys really smoothly and is a lot more predictable. Also the gear train is a lot quieter. The only draw back is my climb outs are not like my raptor's any more, oh well I guess that is why I have a raptor The flight time went up to 10 mins, but the temp was still warm but not like it was with the 13 tooth. I looking in to the heat sink. I think I am going to keep the 10 tooth on for now and when my 10 cell gets here she will really come alive.

Misskismo-I think yor motor got to hot because you were using a small battery pack, causing the motor to try and draw more current making it heat up. This is just a guess.

Also I like the metal head on your concept.

What happens when you throw a mag? Does the motor stop causing the controller to over load and burn up?

Thanks
Carlo
Oct 02, 2001, 07:07 AM
Sounds like all you need now is a nice scale fus to wrap up the mechanics???

Cheers
Richard.
Oct 02, 2001, 09:29 AM

hi

The mags are just glued on anyway, I dont know why aveox would make it like that , but when it does sling one , it will make a skritching sound and come to a hault real quick, I just marked the can , took it apart and glued it back in , it only need to slip out of its joint maybe 20 thousands or so , Tony
Oct 02, 2001, 03:20 PM
Thread OP

aluminum frame plate

Hello All

Do you think the alunimum frame plate would serve as a good heatsink for the motor.

Also, I notice that my motor seems to get the warmest on the motor end caps. Is this the normal pattern for heat disbursment? Just so you know the bearings are smooth as silk and are oiled.

Thanks
Carlo
Last edited by Eco8gator; Oct 02, 2001 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply