Jul 02, 2010, 04:35 PM
Mini-Review

Vladimir Elf Production Build

I saw Valdimir at the Istanbul F3J Cup in April and had a chance to fly his new 1 meter handlaunch the " Elf ". Last week Barry told me the production models arrived and asked if I still wanted to try one. SURE.....send her out!!
I know there were some pre-production models out and so many of you have seen the Elf. I wanted to talk about the changes in the production version, and the flying characterisitics as I have a couple of hours on the model now.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2010, 04:49 PM
The Elf arrives ready for you to assemble, and install 2 servos..not a really challenging build. The wing is factory finished and precovered, the fuselage consists of a caron fiber boom, two clear plastic molded pieces to form a pod and two bagged pre-hinged foam stabs that form a Vtail unit. My wing needed to be relieved so that the threaded posts for the wing hold downs would allow the wing to seat on the main pod. Be carefull when you do this, if you remove too much material the screw heads can pull through the screw countersinks on the wing. Following the instructions and using some foam-safe Ca will soon have a basic airframe with boom mounted in the main pad and an assembled Vtail installed straight with the wing.
Jul 02, 2010, 05:05 PM
usaf3kteam
Those are nice. Had a blue one.
Jul 02, 2010, 05:06 PM
Barry supplied a Shread RC Smart 240ma LiPo for my Elf. The carbon fiber boom runs from nose to tail on the Elf and acts as the main structural member with the Battery and servos glued to the boom.I found that the layout of the battery would require most of the thickness of the tube be removed so that the nose cover would be able to fit in place with out fouling.
This battery is quite a smart little bugger. It has a build in charger, inverter,
audible signals, and it is smart enough to shut itself off when it reaches minimum voltage so you don't inadvertantly kill it. I istalled my battery and 2 old Dymond 5.4 servos that looked a good fit. As you can see the clear plastic allows you to check that everything fits. I used flex Ca for mounting the components and added a carbon support rod to stablise the battery because I got the mounting pad pretty thin on the carbon boom.
Jul 02, 2010, 05:30 PM
As mentioned I installed the Smart LiPo, 2 Dymond 5.4 and a Spektrum 6250 that mounts in a moulded pocket between the two mounting screws. By the way Spektrum has some super cool little 3.5 gr servos on the way that would be perfect for the Elf. I used the supplied pushrods and finished them up as suggested. My Elf finished out at 94 grams, and has the CG 2.5 inches back from the LE. I initially had a small bit of lead formed that would fit in the tailboom at the back. That is because the originals were balancing at 3" and I tried it with that aft CG. The Elf has a pretty shallow decalage angle and with the CG this far back I was running a significant amount of down trim. This worked in early morning still air but proved prone to zooming with any distubance. I have since moved the CG forward and find the Elf much more friendly and able to handle a wide range of wind conditions. I had heard that some people had found the Elf squirrely on launch. I have found that the Elf benefits from flight modes each with its own elevator pre-set. I use a launch mode, Normal mode, come home mode, and thermal mode. Using these elevator presets my Elf launches consistantly and offers a really sweet performance. I don't try to throw it very hard,I am sure I could shread this 3.3 ounce baby with a good wind up and Greening launch...But with a little common sense you can have a really well behaved little gem, that looks very much in its place thermaling up with the swallows on my hill. Charging the Smart LiPO is real simple just hook it up to a DC 4-18 volt source and wait for it to tell you it is ready to rock. This is a fun little package I think you will see more of them around filling the sky this season. Thanks for looking Larry
Jul 02, 2010, 06:04 PM
Where is the lift?
I found the Elf to be a very nice mini-DLG. It took 2 to 3 throws to get used to the difference but after that it went up very well.

Charlie
Aug 01, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for posting this Larry. Vladimir has now modified the design to use a cruciform tail, utilizing a beautiful nano V mount.

I've got a few in, see http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...i-dlg&code=ELF and I am sure Barry will add them to the KC site when he returns from France.

There is a build log of the cruciform tail Elf here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1283654

Regards,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Stainton; Aug 01, 2010 at 08:39 AM.