Jan 25, 2020, 09:14 PM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Model Tech Great Lakes Special .40 (0 min 7 sec)

Finished covering the empennage and hooked up the linkages for real this time. Plugged in the RX and put it through a test run... seems to work just fine with no slop. These jittery servos will be replaced with metal gear servos in a few days when they arrive in the mail.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2020, 04:12 PM
deanz406
Looking really good so far, and can't wait to see more of the covered fuse & wings. I especially love the motor mount/ battery/esc module that u fabbed on the front-- what a slick idea. I do hope that all of the painstaking work and mods u have done, pay off in a perfect "Maiden" flight. It will be a joy to see her get her wings, and fly in the wild blue yonder.
Jan 26, 2020, 04:15 PM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
New phone. Better pics, at last!

Making good progress on the fuselage. Had to piece it together more than I'd like but the headrest already installed means I have to work around it. Still, not bad from 5ft away.

This Econokote white isn't as opaque as regular Monokote. Feels thinner too. Actually kind of dig that I can see light through it.
Jan 28, 2020, 12:17 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Finished the fuselage and cabanes. It's been slow-growing lately as I've been staying late at the office working on a website deadline. An hour or two is all I get each night for hobby stuff.

The Corona mg servos finally got here from China... hope they aren't carrying the coronavirus!
Jan 28, 2020, 03:00 PM
deanz406
Really impressive so far- You gotta put a really cool pilot in the cockpit, a guy with leather jacket, leather hood, goggles, and scarf. An old, rugged pilot from the 30's who knows how to "Rock & Roll" in this classic !!
Jan 28, 2020, 03:40 PM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Like... this guy?

Jan 28, 2020, 05:48 PM
Loving your build posts, I purchased a kit at an online auction and found this thread. Unfortunately I found it to be an incomplete kit and is missing both rear stabilizers, is there any chance you could give me length and height of rudder. I can work out scale of elevator from your picture.......will be a good chance to make them lighter as you suggested also.

Thanks Scott
Jan 28, 2020, 05:56 PM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Sure I'll measure them tonight. Mine are already glued in or I'd put them on the scanner for you. Also ,there are good plans at Outerzone, you could scale those to your wingspan then trace the stab/fin/rudder/elevator and scratch-build from those outlines. The Modeltech Great Lakes looks suspiciously similar to the Gordon Whitehead plans.
Jan 29, 2020, 12:15 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Kind of difficult to show measurements once it's put together, but here you go:

H-stab/elevator is exactly 18" wide. Elevators are 2.5" at the longest point (about 2.5" from the center). H-stab is 4" long at the center.

Fin is 6" tall from its notch in the tail. And 6" long from the fin-post to the tip that touches the turtledeck.

Rudder is 8.25" tall. 3-3/8" at the longest, measured at halfway up the rudder-post.

I included some pics... note the plastic ruler has about 1/8" gap before 0. I still think your best bet is to trace plans from Outerzone and scale them to fit this plane... at least you'll have the correct outlines that way.
Jan 29, 2020, 12:20 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Dean, I think I have just the pilot. Not sure the scale is correct though.
Jan 29, 2020, 04:37 PM
Greatly appreciated mate, that will help me out a bunch. Will check the Outerzone plan too.
Jan 29, 2020, 08:28 PM
deanz406
Warren-- YEAHHH That's the guy-- He's perfect, and u can tell he loves his airplane !!! hehe
I wish I could find one like him- I'll be on the hunt!!
Jan 29, 2020, 10:04 PM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanz406
Warren-- YEAHHH That's the guy-- He's perfect, and u can tell he loves his airplane !!! hehe
I wish I could find one like him- I'll be on the hunt!!
I make these pilots myself. Rotational cast hollow resin... same stuff as Williams Brothers pilots. There are more on my blog page. Haven't done a run of them in awhile, the Chinese ones are so cheap that I can't compete with the cost of materials.
Feb 02, 2020, 10:47 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Working on the wings now. First order of business was to rebuild those solid ailerons. I sliced off the LE and TE then cut some ribs from 3/32" balsa, capped with 1/16"... just like the wing ribs. The middle bay I filled with a slice from the discarded solid ailerons... the linkages will attach there.

Quite a weight savings as you can see:
Last edited by warhead_71; Feb 03, 2020 at 11:40 PM.
Feb 04, 2020, 12:01 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Slow progress on the plane as I'm burning the midnight oil at work.

So much disparity in balsa weights got me thinking I should check lateral balance in the wings. Sure enough, when balanced at center, both wings teetered significantly to starboard.. like at 4 o'clock or more. I had already planned to hack out some of the excess balsa in the wingtips... the left side wingtips both really lightweight soft as warm bread with my knife, the right wingtips I had to employ my Dremel with cutoff wheel. After all that, I swiss-cheesed the outer ribs and into the back of the solid balsa block LE to try to balance it out. Barely made a dent in balancing it. Ended up having to add a few wood screws and small brads to get it level. At least the weight is forward of CG. I can't imagine how this thing flew with incidences and balance so out of whack... I bet it tip-stalled right like a drunk sailor.
Last edited by warhead_71; Feb 04, 2020 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply