Jan 15, 2014, 07:24 PM
usaf3kteam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless
I was told by other competitors that the saw tooth wing was a 'failure' offering no noticeable performance benefits over conventional F5D wings.
I also herd the same just like twister3 vertical
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2014, 08:13 PM
Flying the point of the mtn.
I can see the stall benefit by have essentially two leading edges - front LE and another LE back a little at the convex point of the troughs. When in straight flight, both areas are creating lift but when going up or down, you would lose lift capability. Interesting how this even came about. Some full-size aircraft or project was probably the impetus to this RC project. In a wing, it appears obvious it would have more negative effect than good. But in a prop? That could be a different story.

Would be interesting to see the wind dynamics from a wind tunnel.
Jan 15, 2014, 10:42 PM
Where is the lift?
Is it ok to say that vertical looks "Cutting Edge"?

Charlie
On meds...
Jan 15, 2014, 10:48 PM
hot air rises...
Those weights are NICE!!
Jan 16, 2014, 09:19 AM
I maidened my Stobel yesterday.
It's not all the way trimmed but It's close.
I only had about an hour before it turned dark. Finally in relatively calm dead air I was getting about 11/2 minute flights. That's not spectacular but my launches leave a lot to be desired too. The plane fly's nice.
Now the bad part. on the last launch I didn't know it but the tip broke right where the launch peg is.
I'm not sure how or why. I might have caused it with my peg install??
When I installed the peg I didn't coat the inside of the wing with CA, and I didn't add any carbon to the outside.
Well, now I get to go in and remove the peg. Glue the tip back on, CA the inside, add carbon to the outside and I HOPE that takes care of it.
I just hope I don't add too much weight with my patch. I assume now I'll need to add weight to the opposite wing tip to balance it out.
Jan 16, 2014, 09:27 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
the peg looks like it installed too far inbrd. In my version there was a bunch of reinforcement out there that you should have been digging thru to install.

Another thing that will do something like that is carrying/lifting the plane by the peg in such a way that you are bending the tip. I wouldn't expect it to happen within your first flying session though.
Jan 16, 2014, 09:29 AM
hot air rises...
That doesn't look like an install problem to me. Looks like you released top peg first (or weren't supporting the top peg) when launching. i.e. uneven pressure on the peg.
Jan 16, 2014, 09:49 AM
Ouch Doe, but dont fuss to much as I am sure that it can fly again. I am not the person to tell you how to fix that. I did have to redo my taboo peg but this is a much different looking animal. Some one better qualified will chime in. Perhaps it will be suggested you install a t peg? if so I have 4 of Alex's here in Denver and I will send you one for my cost 15$.
Jan 16, 2014, 10:08 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Yes Ouch! Sorry that happened on the maiden. When I saw your pics I thought too bad it wasn't a T-blade. It would have been less likely to happen anyway...
I think T-blade is the answer now...it will redistribute some of the loads to less compromised structure. I think you won't have to do anything with the opposite wing tip. My $0.02...
Jan 16, 2014, 10:55 AM
I agree that is looks like it got torqued.
I'm very careful not to torque the wing tip when I'm handling the plane by the peg but I very well could have done it during my launch.
The T blade sounds interesting. I like the basic idea of it spreading out the loading.
Where would I get my hands on one?
How much do they weigh?
Jan 16, 2014, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsha99
the peg looks like it installed too far inbrd. In my version there was a bunch of reinforcement out there that you should have been digging thru to install.

Another thing that will do something like that is carrying/lifting the plane by the peg in such a way that you are bending the tip. I wouldn't expect it to happen within your first flying session though.
I measured and installed where the instructions said. Very carefully.
There's not much room there for error.
Like some of the posts I've seen here it seemed like it was awfully close to the leading edge but I put it where they said to.
Jan 16, 2014, 11:11 AM
hot air rises...
I agree with the others, I'd probably repair with a t-blade just to be on the safe side. I think ASK sells them?
Jan 16, 2014, 11:37 AM
usaf3kteam
Start with CR T blade and never turn back
Jan 16, 2014, 12:03 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Curiosity question...what is the overall length of that blade in the pics? It looks like it's three inches! Maybe you have small hands and it's an optical illusion.