Jun 19, 2003, 02:37 AM
Brett
Thread OP

DS website and videos

http://www.billpatterson.tv/dszone.swf

A friend of mine cooked up this neat DS website. It contains a sort of Power Point presentation of how DS works. Not sure if its entirely technically accurate, but it does provide a good basis for explaining what DS is for the uninitiated.

There's also some DS videos, including one of Kyle Paulson's 175mph Nemesis run at Vincent. (note, if you click on the video links, there isn't anything that tells you they are loading, so just be patient...they show up eventually).
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2003, 09:41 AM
Bro
Bro
Brett:
Your "friend" did one hell of a job...
Great work Bill!!

Can't wait to see the Nemi @175

Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Jun 19, 2003, 03:13 PM
Brett
Thread OP
Actually, Nathan, the video is already there on the page (it's the last button on the right). What I meant is that when you click it, you won't see a progress bar or anything to indicate that it's loading. Just give it a minute or two and it will show up.

Bill is primarily a motorsports artist. You can see his stuff on his main website http://www.billpatterson.tv

I'm trying to convince him to paint something with gliders in it.
Jun 19, 2003, 05:53 PM
Alt+24=↑ Alt+25=↓ Use num keys
Can you ask him to lose the Shockwave stuff and just make the video available for download?
Latest blog entry: SD Card Version Editor
Jun 19, 2003, 06:41 PM
Brett
Thread OP
So far he's only converted one of the videos to higher quality: Andy' 184mph run. Here's the direct link:

www.billpattersonart.com/andyds.wmv
Jun 19, 2003, 07:00 PM
Got it! Thanks. One surprising thing that I noticed right away was that the hair and clothing of the guys flying weren't showing much sign of wind at all, yet the plane was really moving fast. I have access to a location that looks very much like that one and I hope to try it soon myself.
Jun 19, 2003, 07:42 PM
Brett
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Miami Mike
Got it! Thanks. One surprising thing that I noticed right away was that the hair and clothing of the guys flying weren't showing much sign of wind at all, yet the plane was really moving fast.
Yep, the mark of a good seperation layer. The wind was probably 20-30mph that day. Walk about 20 feet to the front side of the ridge and your hat will blow off.

Quote:

I have access to a location that looks very much like that one and I hope to try it soon myself.
In Florida?
Jun 19, 2003, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bjaffee
In Florida?
If you ever get a chance to see Paul Naton's first Endless Lift video, watch for "Mount Trashmore".
Jun 19, 2003, 07:58 PM
Brett
Thread OP
Haha...actually Andy is from Florida and has mentioned flying at Mount Trashmore a few times. That was before the DS days though.
Jun 19, 2003, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bjaffee
Yep, the mark of a good seperation layer. The wind was probably 20-30mph that day. Walk about 20 feet to the front side of the ridge and your hat will blow off.
I guess I didn't understand what was going on in that video. At the beginning, he appears to be standing on top of the hill and throwing the plane into the wind, but then the scene shifts and it's not clear what the shape of the hill is and where he's flying in relation to the launch point and the wind. Did he walk back behind the hill after the launch?
Jun 19, 2003, 08:50 PM
Brett
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Miami Mike
I guess I didn't understand what was going on in that video. At the beginning, he appears to be standing on top of the hill and throwing the plane into the wind, but then the scene shifts and it's not clear what the shape of the hill is and where he's flying in relation to the launch point and the wind. Did he walk back behind the hill after the launch?
Exactly.
Jun 20, 2003, 12:23 AM
Vitruvian JART
Neat little website and some nice flying guys, especially that 60" record. Hope there'll be more where that stuff came from.

Make your plans for the DS Fest next year.
Jul 01, 2003, 07:01 PM
My web page with videos of Vincent DS'ing, including 215mph world record by Kyle Paulson with the Extreme:
www.billpattersonart.com/dszone.swf
Jul 01, 2003, 11:23 PM
Vitruvian JART
Yo Bill, could you post that video some other way? The link only opens text for me (I'm on a Mac) and Flash doesn't allow me to do any of my usual tricks to download vids.

Thanks, can't wait to see it!
Jul 01, 2003, 11:39 PM
Brett
Thread OP
The direct link is http://www.billpattersonart.com/215.wmv if that helps.
Last edited by bjaffee; Jul 02, 2003 at 02:20 AM.

Quick Reply