Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Build Log

7" Micro Skipper Airboat

Well here it is. It is a 175x65mm airboat made with 3mm (grey) and 2mm (white) depron foam. The little thing uses an AR6400, Vapor 6mm motor, an Aero Ace prop, and any compatible battery. Now I just have to finish it and run it in the pool.
Last edited by boredom.is.me; Jun 30, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by scorpion1
I feel the need for speed!
Thats a cool little rig!

If you dont already have a servo, this one weighs a whopping 0.28 of an ounce.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNCV6&P=ML
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:44 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Right now, I am fine tuning it by messing with the cg. Once I get good performance on my near dead 120mah, I will be happy.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:51 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
scorpion1, I did not see your reply. The ar6400 has two on-board servos.

Here is the video. It is a bit underpowered with the 6mm, but a 7mm should get it going.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post15433525
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by wparsons
Why such a small prop? A 6mm motor can handle bigger than an AA prop direct drive, can't it?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:38 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
An AA prop is a 6mm class prop. Anything bigger and the motor starts getting too hot.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:36 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
I swapped the 6mm for a bigger Air Hogs Jetscream 7mm. I have a little turning issues, but I'm sure it won't be hard to fix it. Also I have another video. As you can see, every time I hit the water jets (near the middle), the boats goes on its bow and spins out, why? I am going to put little ails on the side to help with cornering. What would subsurface fins do? I do not know much about the physics of airboats.

Kev

Video:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...01&postcount=4
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:29 AM
I looks like it doesn't draw much water at all, and the light weight will make it really easy to spin. A water rudder might help, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Flat bottom airboats tend to slide and spin really easily.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:49 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
The thing weighs 13.32 grams. What about two rails to the bottom?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:36 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
The Micro Skipper...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
I would put a thin one around the CG right in the center, and add a water rudder. The front fin will act as a pivot and the water rudder will keep it from skidding too much.