Jun 29, 2010, 11:54 AM
London, Canada
Thread OP
Help!

Old Cox Sanwa Servo Polarity

I am helping a friend modernize a small sailplane originating from Cox Sanwa. The only things I want to reuse are the servos. The servos currently plug into an old black 2 channel 72 MHz model 8012 receiver with boxy little plugs. I don't know any more history like when it was bought. All three servo wires are black, but one edge wire has a repeated white slash. From what I have read, it seems likely that the marked wire is the positive, the center wire is neutral, and the other edge wire is the signal.

If anyone can verify that or correct it, I would greatly appreciate it, as I don't want to burn anything out.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2010, 01:25 PM
soar-ne
The old Sanwa plugs were the same as the Old Airtronics (I beleive they were the same company) plugs. You are right, the positive is one of the outside wire, the neg is the center wire and the signal is the other outside.
I have used Airtroncs servos on modern RX's and if you re-plug them they work great. I use a Excacto 11 knife blade and carefully pry up the little plastic locking tab and pull out the wire. It will then slide into a modern plug and lock in just fine..........

Good Luck
Bob
Jun 30, 2010, 08:10 AM
London, Canada
Thread OP
Thanks. And presumably the specially marked wire is the positive; not the signal, correct?
Jun 30, 2010, 11:45 AM
soar-ne
I dont have a Sanwa servo that I could find but on the old Airtronics servo I found, As you look at the plug with the wires pointing down and the little key thingies toward you the positive is on the right side of it, you can see the metal contacts also.
Another thing I have done to use them in modern RX's is to just reverse the pos & middle wire and then take medium sand paper and carfully sand off the little keys smooth until it will fit into the RX ports. Works good in most cases for me!!!!!!!!

Happy Flying
Bob
Jul 01, 2010, 11:19 AM
Like soar-ne did, interchange the center wire and the wire with the white stripe. Sand or cut off the ridges on the connector to thin it down enough to plug into a modern receiver and it will work okay.

Quick Reply