Mile high club...... - RC Groups
Jun 28, 2010, 06:55 AM
Poll

Mile high club......

Come and join....... Let us know what plane you where flying and what height you topped out

A few years back Troy Lawicki and I did some tests on how high is high so the mile high club was invented. We used a regular Ava with picolario. 5280 feet will get you in the club. Only two members, me and Troy. The plane was not visible on a blue sky back ground, but could be clearly seen under the white cloud. Colors go away at about 3000 to dark and white. The stab is no longer visible. The plane needs to be stable, speed and angle of attack can no longer be judged.......

Peter
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
5493 ft agl flying with Scott Meader trading off the tx during the Davis XC contest 5/22/10. We were flying Dudley Dufort's borrowed SBXC "rent-a-wreck", 12" root chord. Probably could have taken an MXC to over 6000 ft with its 14" root chord. exceptionally clear day but plane was a speck. Thats about as high as I ever want to fly.
Jun 28, 2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker
5493 ft agl flying with Scott Meader trading off the tx during the Davis XC contest 5/22/10. We were flying Dudley Dufort's borrowed SBXC "rent-a-wreck", 12" root chord. Probably could have taken an MXC to over 6000 ft with its 14" root chord. exceptionally clear day but plane was a speck. Thats about as high as I ever want to fly.
Lets not forget that this was also on the road, not stationary on a field with the benefit of picking the visual background. I know Troy's eyes are (and have always been) excellent, dating back to the mid-80's when he and I put our 2M Ducks over 3000' agl, confirmed by a local full scale pilot later in the day. Hard for me to see, and only the wing was kinda visible.

Attaining such high altitudes in a live XC environment will always be a watershed event.

JT
Jul 01, 2010, 05:39 PM
Grider Pirate

Visibility

Has anyone tried a strobe light on the belly?
Jul 02, 2010, 12:13 AM
yyz
yyz
Not to be a dck but has anyone checked a sectional chart in their area to make sure they are not trying to join the beloved mile high club in controlled airspace?

The sky is pretty big but maybe not that big,

Mike
Last edited by yyz; Jul 02, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Jul 02, 2010, 11:49 AM
we are under AMA rool only alocated 500 feet.. thas it....

PETER
Jul 06, 2010, 11:50 PM
baum58 , how high did you get during the test ?
Jul 07, 2010, 07:16 AM
We called it, after the convermation of one mile since the plane could only be seen unter a cloud. Ths was a regular Ava with no mods what so ever.....

Peter
Sep 07, 2010, 05:51 PM
I fly for the fun of it and for TD only...so I spec out my Sailaire, AVA and Super AVA almost every time I fly them, which can be attested to by other local club members...had no idea I was getting them a MILE high...but I do know what a teeny weeny little dot looks like under a cloud...and I do know a sailplane can get lost at that altitude...been there, done that...have no idea how high that one went...but someone found the fuselage a year later...made a perfect landing in an open field some distance from the launch site...weather had "evaporated" all the "feathers"! Lesson learned; Don't EVER look away!!!
Sep 08, 2010, 02:48 PM
i ONCE flew a graupner candida 3.7 m wingspan glider up with a watch onboard that loged max altitude.
when it came down it was just over 1200 meter.
This has been over 10 years ago way bevore fpv ect but i ca recall it was scary to fly a dot in the sky on rudder only waiting for it to come down on its own.
So yes i totaly agree do NEVER look away or even blink...
Sep 08, 2010, 02:50 PM
btw yyz the club i flew at back in holland was under the aproach of a neaby airforce base so the controlled airspace bit was taken care off

good thing is thay are not active on sundays ..
Sep 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate
Has anyone tried a strobe light on the belly?
I like the idea of a strobe light or two or three

Man you guys are tough. My best was 3780 AGl but consider this...It was with a EZ glider electric

Now I think that's worth a little something considering the wing span is only 72" and the cord is roughly 10"

Hoping to join the Mile high club someday.

Mike R
Oct 01, 2010, 09:44 AM
always looking for clouds
4.2 meter ask21 i got approx 1700ft on my first aerotow event and first thermal. it was a spec then...how you guys go higher i have no idea. ruddy good fun though.
Oct 01, 2010, 08:00 PM
Play loud, Fly high

Mile high club

I started to reply Lear 23 @ 41,500 but realized that this is the wrong forum
Oct 04, 2010, 12:54 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
I could join a half mile club. I have had my radian up over 2600 a couple of times. Can't imagine going much higher with that size of plane. A mile is really freaking high.