Aug 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
openrc*****s *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
I believe the existing buzzer is driven by a direct voltage. A speaker will need an alternating voltage to operate. If you do the mod, you will get no sound unless you load Gruvin's firmware instead of er9x. I don't know what other changes, if any, you might need for his firmware to work fully. Er9x will need driver code for a speaker if that is to be fitted.

Mike.
Dito! Was just about to say the same thing!

All you will get is the bzzstfsdt of some electricity through the speaker!

This is why I want to get the option in to the er9x code to 'switch' this on :-)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
Ersky9x Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt
would it be possible to modify the decoder of the Frsky telemetry data to support pure NMEA records?
It would be possible, it would need to be another option to FrSky hub and WingedShadow How high. The FrSky receivers only operate at 9600 baud, so you would need to change you hardware to this. My question is how many people need this? Is it worth adding for a very small number of people? It would be likely to use quite a bit of code space.

Mike.
Aug 16, 2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.thomson
Dito! Was just about to say the same thing!

All you will get is the bzzstfsdt of some electricity through the speaker!

This is why I want to get the option in to the er9x code to 'switch' this on :-)
Good point!
I want to stay with the evolving Frsky-er9x firmware so I can forget modifying the speaker circuit for now and look into the vibrator circuit instead. I'm off to the parts store now, good thing I read your post. It saved me from speaker shopping.
The only time I'll get"vibrated" while flying is when low TX battery or TX timers time out if I'm right?. The only beeps will be from the Frsky module for RSSI and AN# alarms then. If Mike includes more alarms what will the sound come from, the TX or the DHT/DJT? Asking instead of assuming.
What say Mike?
SM
Aug 16, 2011, 02:29 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster
Good point!
I want to stay with the evolving Frsky-er9x firmware so I can forget modifying the speaker circuit for now and look into the vibrator circuit instead. I'm off to the parts store now, good thing I read your post. It saved me from speaker shopping.
The only time I'll get"vibrated" while flying is when low TX battery or TX timers time out if I'm right?. The only beeps will be from the Frsky module for RSSI and AN# alarms then. If Mike includes more alarms what will the sound come from, the TX or the DHT/DJT? Asking instead of assuming.
What say Mike?
SM
If you replace the buzzer with the vibrator you will also lose the Inactivity alarm.. So, don't forget to turn your TX off
Aug 16, 2011, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz
header: (2*8 bits)
* rx number (0..255 : 8 bits) - this can be used to implement both model match and more than 8 channels. The rx should read only data coming with the correct rx number. If the rx number is different then it should not read.
* 16 bit "flag" register:
- bit 1 - set rx number. A rx reading this number should set it's identity to the value specified by the rx number in the header.
- bit 2 - following dataset is the Failsafe position. The positions described following this header should be set as the failsafe position.
- bits 3..16 - reserved for future use

Servo positioning packets:
8 * 11 bits of information (11 bytes). These are 11 bit values for the 8 channels. Where 0 corresponds to a servo pulse of 1000us and 2048 corresponds to a pulse of 2048us.

final 2 bytes - checksum
If the checksum fails then the data is discarded.
I like Mike's idea of +/- offset from zero (being mid position) for the servo data.

It would be good if you could reserve a few of the 'reserved bits' for your own use, perhaps configuration messages for an on-board flight controller for instance.

It would also be good to be able to transmit switch positions.
Either by using another byte (or reducing teh checksum to 8 and using that byte)
or by using one of teh reserved flag bits to indicate a switch position message
Again, this could be useful for controlling on board flight controllers.

When designing a proprietary protocol, I think it is important to think about all of teh information you have available on the TX and look at how that may be useful to the controlled platform.
Aug 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
It would be possible, it would need to be another option to FrSky hub and WingedShadow How high. The FrSky receivers only operate at 9600 baud, so you would need to change you hardware to this. My question is how many people need this? Is it worth adding for a very small number of people? It would be likely to use quite a bit of code space.

Mike.
Thanks Mike for your answer.

There are probably not to much users. If I were able to understand C++, I would try it by myself.
Serial speed wouldn't be a problem, as it is configurable.
As the Frsky datagram is similar to NMEA, I thought it would be possible to simply change some of the coding rules and use those data that is compareable.

Reinhard
Aug 16, 2011, 05:54 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Are there any compatibility issues that can arise between the AVR programmer and other mods on the radio? I'm still having trouble with mine. Prior to soldering in the wiring for my programmer my radio already had the 2-cell Trustfire mod from rcmodelreviews (here), as well as a HobbyKing backlight kit.

When I plug the programmer into the 9x it powers up, but the backlight only flickers faintly and it does not beep. Seems like a possible voltage problem. Any advice?

Dave
Last edited by dghutt; Aug 16, 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Aug 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt
Are there any compatibility issues that can arise between the AVR programmer and other mods on the radio? I'm still having trouble with mine. Prior to soldering in the wiring for my programmer my radio already had the 2-cell Trustfire mod from rcmodelreviews (here), as well as a HobbyKing backlight kit.

When I plug the programmer into the 9x it powers up, but the backlight only flickers faintly and it does not beep. Seems like a possible voltage problem. Any advice?

Dave
Just a guess,
If the HK backlight is not controlled by software but instead no on/off SW or on all the time, it's probably the fact that the LED backlight draws too much current from the USB buss to light correctally. I think it draws 90ma or more.
The Smartieparts BL will light due to the low current demand.
If you do use the e9rx firmware to switch the BL on it will stay off unless you hit a button ect.
Others have run into this snd have reported that it is the HK drawing more current then the USB port can deliver. Some have added a bc170 or 2n7000 FET to allow the software to control the BL or a small switch, in either case it keeps the HK BL off for programming and it all works fine then.
Showmaster.
Aug 16, 2011, 08:22 PM
Does your programmer allow you to power the radio by itself instead of through the USB port? If not then I would just turn the radio on while programming. I have done this on mine and have had no ill effects. Of course you do this at your own risk.
Aug 16, 2011, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa
If you replace the buzzer with the vibrator you will also lose the Inactivity alarm.. So, don't forget to turn your TX off
Good point!
I'll have to rethink it.
I haven't left my TX on on years, and I do use Eneloop batteries instead of Lipos so I may get away with leaving it on over night?
I'm in the habit of checking all power switches when I store my planes so I may take a chance for now until I can come up with another activity timer option that will kick in after a long period of non stick movement.
I can fast charge at the field if I mess up
and want to fly.
Another option is a stand alone circuit with alarm that is set for 9v. It will allow the pack to run down but save it from going dead.
Great thing about 2.4gG is having the TX on won't crash other planes as was the case with the analog modes.
Ideas welcome to solve this situation.
Good catch, thanks for the warning.
SM
Aug 16, 2011, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
Does your programmer allow you to power the radio by itself instead of through the USB port? If not then I would just turn the radio on while programming. I have done this on mine and have had no ill effects. Of course you do this at your own risk.
I always do it this way - I do not even connect VCC (+5V) line sometimes, just ground, miso, mosi, sck, and reset. Anyway, if VCC is connected but "power target" switch is off, it is OK and programmer displays target(=9x) vcc voltage level.
Aug 17, 2011, 03:20 AM
openrc*****s *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster
He states" cap polatity should be reverse of this" Does that mean it's installed wrong in the picture? Any idea of a voltage rating for the cap(min)?
Is there a schematic version of this mod? I seem to remember there is an updated schematic showing the CPU board and all the mods if I can find the link. I think this is it
http://gruvin9x.googlecode.com/svn/t...n9x-hacked.pdf

It shows a 10ufd cap instead of the 4.7 in the picture with the (-) to the speaker. I assume any 10v up will work?
I'm going to add it next time I have my case open and listen to how it sounds.
I have a DHT that I cut the shrink wrap off of at the data side and my knife tip took out a few micro size resisrors(I was looking for the diode and it cost me $30 to find it, darn). I must have missed something because the buzzer does not work now, everything else does. I can use it to test a speaker mod if anyone has some ideas to try along with my own r&d. My 9x uses a DHT so if I like the outcome I'll swap it out. I would feed it to the same single speaker mod in the 9x.
Maybe even add an earphone jack to avoid bothering my fellow flyers. A vibrator mod is in the works but I misplaced 3 of them being so small. At $3 ea I guess I'm off to the parts surplus store today. if it works out I'll have spares because then I'll find the lost ones, seems to work that way. They are 1/4x1/8in round and shake a lot on 3v.
SM
Maybe even blue tooth is an option if the tones evolve to a higher level of usefullness?
Hello,

Regarding the cap mod. It actually makes little difference on the size. Essentially it is being used from what I can tell, as a crude tone control.

I guess that a guru on audio circuits might be able to wrap the output through a circuit to produce sweet sounding tunes
Aug 17, 2011, 05:23 AM
Ersky9x Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.thomson
Regarding the cap mod. It actually makes little difference on the size. Essentially it is being used from what I can tell, as a crude tone control.
The cap is there becaues the speaker needs to receive an alternating voltage (+/- 2.5V) and the processor outputs a positive only voltage (0 to 5 V). The cap provides the level shifting. The positive end of the cap should be wired towards the processor, the negative to the speaker.

Mike.
Aug 17, 2011, 05:32 AM
Hi,
Yes the FrSky fdd-lite as used by stantoyou is the simplest / cheapest RS232 converter to use but I do wonder about the connections as shown. Here's my mod which I did a while back and an attachment showing the fdd-lite pinout. You can check the pin numbers on the Sipex datasheet.
Aug 17, 2011, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz

I'll add a "er9x-NOHT" version to the tree on the next update cycle.
Great!

May I use this opportunity to thank everybody involved in this project. My personal wishes (flight mode trims and noht version) were quickly incorporated, and I see the same goes for other people. this really is becoming a fantastic radio. If only the display could wander up top instead of the bottom....(try programming that, now there's a challenge...)
Last edited by WimH; Aug 17, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply