Jun 18, 2003, 10:51 AM
Thread OP

Wattage 46" J3 Piper Cub

I am putting together the Wattage Piper Cub 46" version. It says it will fly using a direct drive speed 400 with a 6x3 prop. I have put the spec's into Motor Calc and it tells me to us a 3.1 gear box with a 10x6 prop.

Has anyone flown this plane with the direct drive setup? I was wondering because the gear box does not quite fit into the cowling without doing some cutting.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2003, 11:59 AM
See this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=122321

Dave
Jun 18, 2003, 12:58 PM
Thread OP

Wattage J3 Piper Cub

Locomotive

Thanks for the link to the other site. This does help quite a lot and I am going to try it with a 7x4 prop according to the other replies. I was wondering with MotorCalc suggesting a 3.1 gearbox with a 10x6 prop do you think it would be a better setup?

Thanks.
Jun 23, 2003, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Did you get your cub in the air yet? I finally got around to getting a bigger prop 10x7 Master Air Screw for my 2:55 Promax GB. Hopefully tonite I will be able to try the new setup out.
Jun 23, 2003, 03:07 PM
Thread OP

Wattage J3 Cub

No I have not gotten a chance yet. I had alot of honey dues this last weekend and I have to leave this weekend for an anniversery for my wife's parents.

I hope to have it in the air the flowing weekend. I see you are planning on using a 10x7 prop. Are you using a gearbox or direct drive? From what MotorCalc tells me a 10x7 prop well need a 3 to 1 gearbox.

Thanks
Jun 23, 2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Wattage J3 Cub

Quote:
Originally posted by jstanton
No I have not gotten a chance yet. I had alot of honey dues this last weekend and I have to leave this weekend for an anniversery for my wife's parents.

I hope to have it in the air the flowing weekend. I see you are planning on using a 10x7 prop. Are you using a gearbox or direct drive? From what MotorCalc tells me a 10x7 prop well need a 3 to 1 gearbox.

Thanks
Hi jstanton,

Well just came back from flying, and it flew great with the 10x7 MPI inline GB 2.55:1. I used the 8c-800 NIMH for my test flight. I got around 8 mins of run time. Much better than with the DD setup. I also love the new sound with the GB. Kind of sounds like a real recip engine.

M3_matt
Jun 24, 2003, 08:04 AM
Thread OP

Wattage J3 Cub

Matt

That sounds great. Did you have room in the cowling for the 400 with the GB or did you have to do some cutting to get it to fit?

I am going to be using a Master Airscrew 3.1x1 GB with a 10x6 Master Airscrerw prop. I have an 8 cell 600MA sanyo Nicad battery for mine. I am looking forward to trying this out next week when I can get the chance.

Thanks
Jun 24, 2003, 11:44 AM
Yes, I had to cut around the firewall just a little bit to get it to fit. Since the GB is inline, there is no problem with the cowl fitting. I have the same Master Air Screw prop, and the thing looks huge on the cub You should be real happy with your setup. You will have enough thrust for ROG, and power to spare in case you get into trouble.

Matt
Jun 24, 2003, 11:58 AM
Thread OP

Wattage J3 Cub

Thanks for the feed back. I have a different GB and mine is not in line so I my have to cut away some of the cowling to get it to fit right. Do you have a pic you can post of your cub with the new setup?

Thanks
Jun 24, 2003, 04:09 PM

Here is a pic of the setup. Also, with the other type of GB's, I know a lot of guys didn't have to modify the cowl at all. I think they just flipped the metal clamps under the engine mounts so that it brought the engine down to almost the DD level. Check out this link that has a lot of info with regards to that.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ry+wattage+cub

Matt

Quick Reply