Jun 25, 2010, 11:43 PM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
Build Log

<b>USS ENTERPRISE 1701-D WITH PLANS</b>

This is a foam model of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek. This is my third Enterprise and the largest yet. The current plane is a 34" wingspan model. In this case "wingspan" refers to the width of the saucer section. My last Enterprise was a 27" model and had very different flight characteristics; I will talk about this more later.

First things first, let's cover the build. Since this is just a foamie I did not bother taking pictures of the build. Below are links to the plans I crudely put together in MSPaint. If you wish to change the scale of this plane you simply stretch the image in MSPaint. Make sure you stretch all images by the same factor. I will warn you, my laptop did not have enough ram to do the stretching/resizing. You may need 2gb of ram to stretch/resize, however, I am not sure. I also printed the plans from MSPaint thought I would suggest taking them to Office Depot or any other store that will print out large images. If you do print these plans I recommend using a straight edge and an exacto knife to cut straight lines on the edges before taping them together. Also, after cutting the paper, line up all parts of the plans before doing any taping. You will find that two pieces of the plans will appear to match but they will not line up with adjacent pieces added later.

All pictures are located here. The full size plans will be posted as soon as I can find a place to host 3mb images. Until then just resize the pictures.

The build itself is pretty basic, you will need some standard materials as well as:

T-Pins
Weights
Hot Glue Gun

Foam thickness is really up to you. On this model I used 8mm depron for the saucer section, 2mm depron for the nacelles and 6mm depron for everything everything else. On my 27" model I used 6mm for everything. If I had it to do over I would probably stick with the 27" and experiment with using 2mm depron for the nacelles and use 6mm depron everywhere else.

I would like to stress that it is VERY important that this plane be assembled squarely. It is not very difficult to do, make sure you have the plans taped down before cutting out the foam parts. This is especially important on the vertical segment of the engineering section. Make sure to use a straight edge where applicable. Any bumps will create weak points in bonding areas.

Assemble everything in small sections. The nacelles by themselves, the saucer section by itself, and the horizontal area of the engineering should be paired with the nacelle risers (that's just what I'm calling them). I would recommend that you install carbon fiber rods on the saucer section and then attach the vertical segment of the engineering section. If the engineering section is completely assembled it is more difficult to mate with the saucer section the engineering section will be upside down and therefor top heavy. The carbon fiber spar that runs the width of the wing should be installed along the CG. To find the CG, measure the SAUCER SECTION from nose to tail. DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENGINEERING SECTION. Let's say the saucer section measures 30 inches. Multiply by .4 and we get 12 inches. This means the CG is located 12 inches back from the nose. Using your hot glue gun and a straight edge, cut a trench into the foam that will accept your carbon fiber spar. Do the same thing for the spar that runs from nose to tail. I've salvaged my spar's from previous Edge 540's.

As for CG, this plane is very difficult to balance. Build the plane, attach the motor and battery, and then check the CG. The aileron servo's can be moved to add nose weight. My motor is a Hi-Max HA2025-4200 and I am using a 3c 2200Mah pack. All 3 servo's are HS-55's.

Alright, now that's out of the way. Let's talk about flight characteristics. When properly balanced and trimmed this model has very likable flight characteristics. It glides very well and is very predictable. It will not fly fast. The 27" model was much more stout. My recent 34" model has serious twist issues in rolls. I am planning on correcting this by using fishing string to stop the twist of the engineering section. The 27" model can also be equipped with lights to make a damn cool night flyer. My 34" model would not be able to stand the additional tail weight of lights. The lights change the flight characteristics substantially. I had to switch from a 1550 mAh to a 2200 mAh just to support the drain of the led's. I used IDE cable and stripped off individual wires to run power to my lights. Most of the LED's came from RadioShack. I had to run several LED's in a series and powered them directly from the battery. Here are the results:

RC Star Trek Enterprise 1701-D Night Flight (UFO Remote Control) (1 min 25 sec)

Make sure to mount the motor/battery on the bottom side of the saucer section. If they are on top the plane will fly upside down. Speaking of flying upside down, this plane does not like to "come out" of upside down flight.

Now, the size of the plane is up to you. The larger this plane gets the harder it is to balance. I used the same motor/prop on both sizes of Enterprise. The 34" looks very nice in the air but lacks maneuverability. Again, it looks very nice in the air. The 27" does not have the "look" when it's in the air. It does maneuver much better though and it will do a very neat looking dive. Take the plane to a very high altitude, cut power, nose down at the ground and roll. The large model was nearly destroyed as the engineering section completely deformed under the stress.

This plane will teach you many things if you are relatively new to the hobby. My dad has been flying for over 25 years and has served as a UAV pilot in Iraq/Afganistan. We both agree that this plane has a very nice and unique feel too it without being a handful. Hovering low is a breeze if this model is built squarely. I would not recommend it as a trainer but as a second airplane. Best of luck to you all!
Last edited by RCToys09; Jun 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Pictures will not link.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2010, 12:55 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
RC if you check the attach files section down at the bottom of the reply window you will see the Manage Attachements button.

Make sure your pics are jpg's and you can attach them then hit the upload button. Works great and everyone will be able to see the pictures here on RCGroups.

Your design looks pretty nice. I definitely like all the lights. I am thinking about doing that with mine too. Good Luck!
Jun 26, 2010, 09:29 AM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
RC if you check the attach files section down at the bottom of the reply window you will see the Manage Attachements button.
You are correct sir! My plans are over 3 MB per image and th upload limit is actually 100K, so I am unable to post the plans. I tried to host them via facebook but they shrunk my images down and would not let RCGroups access them, you must click on the link and go to my gallery. Originally the photo's were "in-line" with the article. I'm going to mess with turning the plans into a PDF but I fear I will cross the 3MB threshold as PDF files are a bit bulky sometimes. Everyone should be able to access my facebook gallery for the time being... Thanks for the advice talon!
Jun 26, 2010, 10:27 AM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
Ok, so to make the plans I had to take the images, save them as a black/white bmp file, edit them, and save them as gif files. They're uglier than our economy but they'll get the job done. I took my other resized photo's from facebook and they are here as well.
Jun 27, 2010, 09:59 AM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
Alright, easy way out. If anyone wants plans email me at [email protected] and put "plans" in the subject line. Even the plans I put up here yesterday are not working.

Update: I have added 2 flying wires and 2 nacelle supports and the 34 inch model now flies as well as the 27 inch model. I'm working on pull-pull for the aileron, should have pics of the whole thing tomorrow night.
Apr 20, 2019, 03:57 PM

Star ship enterprise

I am still confused about the center of gravity on this. I am building a glider version. On a completed model shouldn't the balance point be about the middle point of the saucer section. Mine is not wanting to glide very well at all
Suggestions.
Jul 04, 2019, 04:01 PM

NX 01 Enterprise

Hey all

im work on NX01 Enterprise with a lenght of 60 inch.
6 mm Depron.
I will open a new Thread next days.

Prototype flew very well, wasnt easy to find CG :-)

Next days, im starting with "Number 2" including photodocumentation.
First official flight is in France, International Interexperimental Meeting " Interex" 2019.

Frank

Quick Reply